Troubleshoot your device issues
jordanbb10's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 11:39 AM

The only loyalty comes at upgrade time?

I fight with the notion that I can recieve a discount when its time to renew my contract, but all other mobile devices are full price if I desire one?  So if I wanted a new device (outside of the one I purchased at signing), I have to pay exactly what a verizon customer would have to pay if they desired that same phone?  Please tell me that im incorrect and that these ways have changed since my inception to the "att family" in 2004. Which, im also guessing, means nothing either..

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@jordanbb10 wrote:
I feel like you guys are reading off the same cue cards. I understand that the top 3 providers all do it. Its because they realize they could all get away with it. Some of the mid-range carriers have moved from this. This is more of a rant than anything. I just wish someone could justify it other than repeating the same line. I understand the discount at signing. I just don't understand why I can't purchase anything else in addition to that phone and still pay the same price as a non customer.

Only one person had responded to you, so I'm unsure of who the "guys" are that were supposedly reading from cue cards.

AT&T is a cellular service provider.  AT&T also sells phones that are compatible with the service that they provide.  AT&T offers contracts to qualified customers (new and existing) who either don't have contracts with them at all or are around 20 months into their current contracts.  This contract is for service only.  If you accept the contract, AT&T will offer a discount on a device that works on their cellular network. 

If you are already in a service contract, AT&T does not need to extend another service contract to you.  AT&T also does not need to offer another discount on a device to you.  If AT&T offered a discount on a device every time someone asked for it, there would be no AT&T for you to be "loyal" to.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@jordanbb10 wrote:

I fight with the notion that I can recieve a discount when its time to renew my contract, but all other mobile devices are full price if I desire one?  So if I wanted a new device (outside of the one I purchased at signing), I have to pay exactly what a verizon customer would have to pay if they desired that same phone?  Please tell me that im incorrect and that these ways have changed since my inception to the "att family" in 2004. Which, im also guessing, means nothing either..

1. when you are eligible for a upgrade you pay the price of the device that a brand new customer pays

2. if you want a new phone before you have completed the commitment that you agreed to when you got your device at a greatly reduced price you pay full retail for the new device

3. in a large number of cases there is a possiblity of being offere a "early upgrade" option, at thsi point you pay the subsidized price for the phone plus a 250.00 penalty for breaking your contract early

Absolutley nothing has changed since your "inception to the "att family" in 2004" it has been this way since the start

You got your first phone at a huge discount, in doing so you agreed to complete the contractual agreement for the period of time, until you do so, you pay full retail or penalty price. All companiesare loyal to you during your contract commitment - as long as you pay your bill on time, they promise to be loyal and not send your account to collections or make a bad note on your credit report

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Understood, but that still is ridiculous in my opinion. What is the point of staying with one carrier if I have to pay the same price as any one off the street? I still pay my monthly bill to att, so its not as if I'm getting some type of special treatment. Basically, the discount at signing is ONLY for that specific phone and if anything a huge perk for ATT to charge me with a termination fee if I want to leave. I'm missing the loyalty again? Again, I believe that a att customer shouldn't have to pay as much as a non customer. I realize that ATT is trying to make as much money as possible, but as a customer, it would be nice to see that there are perks to signing a commitment.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@jordanbb10 wrote:
Understood, but that still is ridiculous in my opinion. What is the point of staying with one carrier if I have to pay the same price as any one off the street? I still pay my monthly bill to att, so its not as if I'm getting some type of special treatment. Basically, the discount at signing is ONLY for that specific phone and if anything a huge perk for ATT to charge me with a termination fee if I want to leave. I'm missing the loyalty again? Again, I believe that a att customer shouldn't have to pay as much as a non customer. I realize that ATT is trying to make as much money as possible, but as a customer, it would be nice to see that there are perks to signing a commitment.

Why is it ridiculious? You will not find one of the top 3 carriers that will do it differently? You get the EXACT same discount if you are new signing OR if you are renewing your contract for another heavily discounted phone. If you leave you pay the penality for violating the legally binding contract that you agreed to when you recieved the new 700.00 for for 99 cents.

You do get "perks" for signing a new contract you get the already heavily discounted price on the phone.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I feel like you guys are reading off the same cue cards. I understand that the top 3 providers all do it. Its because they realize they could all get away with it. Some of the mid-range carriers have moved from this. This is more of a rant than anything. I just wish someone could justify it other than repeating the same line. I understand the discount at signing. I just don't understand why I can't purchase anything else in addition to that phone and still pay the same price as a non customer.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@jordanbb10 wrote:

Not reading any que cards, I run a business personally, I am looking at it from that direction and that line of thought. I am not a charity or a not for profit organization, I give each and every one of my customers loyalty for as long as they are current on their bill. Period

A carrier is not a charity, why should they give you a 700 or 800 dollar phone at a substancial discount just because you already have one, you want another one for another line, pay the discounted price, you want to replace the one you already have, if you are out of contract you get the reduced price if you are still in contract you pay the full retail price, there is absolutely no incentive to giove you anything at a discount on a already in progress contract.

Try doing that at car dealer - tell them that since you already own a car from them that is financed you should be able to purchase one at a greatly reduced price - ain;t gonna work that way. famous saying from a old science finction written by the late, great Robert Heinlen - TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As a Free Lunch - just becasue you have one, you really should not expect to get another at the same price without a commitment.

What you are missing is if you are eligible for a upgrade , you do get to pay the same price as a new customer, if you are not, you pay full retail or turn your single plan into a family, get a second line witha  new phone, of course you are now under commitment for 2 years for that second line - no commitent, no discount.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Czar,

I respect your answer. So just to be clear, YOU are saying that the contract is for service and service only. As a bonus of initiating or extending contracts, att offers a discount for a mobile device. I understand and thank you. However, don't confuse my understanding for conceeding. If a person signs a contract for service, what they get is 24 months of service that they're making 24 payments for. If you order additional recievers for direct tv, you can get discounts. If you order more than one wireless router from U-verse, you can get discounts if you choose to add. A comcast customer couldn't do that. Just making a legitimate point unlike "wingrider's" horrible attempt with using automobiles. Thanks for the clarity, although I still think there should be a discount (albeit maybe its small) to att customers for staying with att.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@jordanbb10 wrote:
Czar,

I respect your answer. So just to be clear, YOU are saying that the contract is for service and service only. As a bonus of initiating or extending contracts, att offers a discount for a mobile device. I understand and thank you. However, don't confuse my understanding for conceeding. If a person signs a contract for service, what they get is 24 months of service that they're making 24 payments for. If you order additional recievers for direct tv, you can get discounts. If you order more than one wireless router from U-verse, you can get discounts if you choose to add. A comcast customer couldn't do that. Just making a legitimate point unlike "wingrider's" horrible attempt with using automobiles. Thanks for the clarity, although I still think there should be a discount (albeit maybe its small) to att customers for staying with att.

Yes, I am saying that the contract is for service and service only.  You're welcome for the response.

Just to be clear, this is a peer-to-peer forum. I don't work for AT&T.  The Community Managers come in from time to time, mostly to enforce forum rules but occasionally to respond to inquiries.  They will be clearly identified as AT&T employees by their community ranks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.