Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 7, 2008
7:12:58 AM
View profile
The Sidekick!!
I never owned a Sidekick,I know is a T-mobile exclusive,but I've been always curious about having one.I really like how it looks and Im a message person.I wonder if any of you had one,to have some feedback about it. Some thoughts?Smiley Happy
I never owned a Sidekick,I know is a T-mobile exclusive,but I've been always curious about having one.I really like how it looks and Im a message person.I wonder if any of you had one,to have some feedback about it. Some thoughts?Smiley Happy
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 7, 2008 12:49:49 PM
(0)
Expert

pablocrego wrote:
You cannot use MediaNet ? Is there a way that ATT identifies the sidekick and block medianet surfing?
Is the sidekick build with 1900mhz only? Thanks for your responses Smiley Happy

The Sidekick is a pure T-Mo device.  With their software on the phone, one cannot change the internet settings so it can be used on another network.  The Sidekick natively supports the 850 band, but T-Mo removes the functionality of this unused band -- thereby only enabling the band that will work on their network.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Accepted Solution

The Sidekick!!

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2008 10:08:22 AM
(0)
Professor
most of its features will not work on at&t's network, in case youre thinking of getting one.
most of its features will not work on at&t's network, in case youre thinking of getting one.

Re: The Sidekick!!

2 of 16 (5,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2008 12:01:08 PM
(0)
Expert
Accessing the internet will be problematic, but if you plan on just using it as a phone and/or text messaging device, it should be fine.  However, on a side note, phone reception at certain locations may be spotty since T-Mo doesn't use the 850 mhz band.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Accessing the internet will be problematic, but if you plan on just using it as a phone and/or text messaging device, it should be fine.  However, on a side note, phone reception at certain locations may be spotty since T-Mo doesn't use the 850 mhz band.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

3 of 16 (5,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2008 12:28:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
You cannot use MediaNet ? Is there a way that ATT identifies the sidekick and block medianet surfing?

4 of 16 (5,325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 7, 2008 12:49:49 PM
(0)
Expert

pablocrego wrote:

The Sidekick is a pure T-Mo device.  With their software on the phone, one cannot change the internet settings so it can be used on another network.  The Sidekick natively supports the 850 band, but T-Mo removes the functionality of this unused band -- thereby only enabling the band that will work on their network.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

pablocrego wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

5 of 16 (5,324 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2008 12:54:56 PM
(0)
Scholar
I believe its not worth having it if you are not on T-Mo,its useless not using it with all its capabilities.Smiley Sad
I believe its not worth having it if you are not on T-Mo,its useless not using it with all its capabilities.Smiley Sad

6 of 16 (5,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2008 12:59:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

hidden_dragon wrote:

So the Sidekicks won't even work in the areas where T-Mobile has 850MHz roaming? I know T-Mobile has stopped suppressing the 850MHz band on their normal phones a while ago when they started getting the 850MHz roaming agreements in place, I thought that also applied to the Sidekick. It obviously doesn't change the fact that the internet settings are hard-wired.

hidden_dragon wrote:

So the Sidekicks won't even work in the areas where T-Mobile has 850MHz roaming? I know T-Mobile has stopped suppressing the 850MHz band on their normal phones a while ago when they started getting the 850MHz roaming agreements in place, I thought that also applied to the Sidekick. It obviously doesn't change the fact that the internet settings are hard-wired.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 16 (5,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2008 1:28:17 PM
(0)
Expert

dmapr wrote:

hidden_dragon wrote:

The Sidekick 3 has been discontinued for quite some time.  I have known ATT users who use them but have horrible reception.  T-Mo has 850 mhz roaming agreements but they are far and few.

It's too bad the Ogo forum was removed...most of those users migrated to Sidekick devices and so they could be more helpful in providing info. on these.  Oh well...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dmapr wrote:

hidden_dragon wrote:

The Sidekick 3 has been discontinued for quite some time.  I have known ATT users who use them but have horrible reception.  T-Mo has 850 mhz roaming agreements but they are far and few.

It's too bad the Ogo forum was removed...most of those users migrated to Sidekick devices and so they could be more helpful in providing info. on these.  Oh well...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

8 of 16 (5,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2008 3:03:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

hidden_dragon wrote:

I agree with your sentiment Smiley Sad Any way, Sidekick was built primarily for data I had a friend with one and she said the voice quality was very poor even with a strong signal, and as you pointed out the data is all proprietary and won't work on AT&T network anyway. There ought to be SMS-only devices better suited for AT&T network than the Sidekick Smiley Happy

hidden_dragon wrote:

I agree with your sentiment Smiley Sad Any way, Sidekick was built primarily for data I had a friend with one and she said the voice quality was very poor even with a strong signal, and as you pointed out the data is all proprietary and won't work on AT&T network anyway. There ought to be SMS-only devices better suited for AT&T network than the Sidekick Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 16 (5,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2008 3:38:51 PM
(0)
Expert

dmapr wrote:

hidden_dragon wrote:

Agreed.  Whatever happened to the Ogo 2?  Guess it never made it out of Europe... Smiley Sad
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dmapr wrote:

hidden_dragon wrote:

Agreed.  Whatever happened to the Ogo 2?  Guess it never made it out of Europe... Smiley Sad
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

10 of 16 (5,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2008 4:25:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

hidden_dragon wrote:

I guess not AT&T is not interested in this type of devices and T-Mobile has Sidekick... Smiley Sad

hidden_dragon wrote:

I guess not AT&T is not interested in this type of devices and T-Mobile has Sidekick... Smiley Sad

11 of 16 (4,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2008 4:06:40 PM
(0)
Mentor
check out the NEW ATT QUICKFIRE!!! qwerty but better than sidekick
check out the NEW ATT QUICKFIRE!!! qwerty but better than sidekick

12 of 16 (4,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2008 6:56:30 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by scooterjes on Oct 9, 2008 at 6:59:35 PM
  Couldn't like most phones the sidekick be flashed back to a manufactures software and enable the locked out band. I know I have reflashed my phone and it is a major improvement over the ATT software.

Message Edited by scooterjes on 10-09-2008 08:59:35 PM

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
  Couldn't like most phones the sidekick be flashed back to a manufactures software and enable the locked out band. I know I have reflashed my phone and it is a major improvement over the ATT software.

Message Edited by scooterjes on 10-09-2008 08:59:35 PM

[ Edited ]
13 of 16 (4,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2008 12:48:48 PM
(0)
Scholar
where is that QUICKFIRE? Couldn't find it in ATT phones list.

14 of 16 (4,323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2008 12:54:27 PM
(0)
Expert

pablocrego wrote:

That's because it hasn't come out yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

pablocrego wrote:

That's because it hasn't come out yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

15 of 16 (4,319 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2008 4:57:23 PM
(0)
Tutor
The main problem with the Sidekick isn't just on T-Mobile's side, but Danger's side as well.

All data sent from a Sidekick is routed through the Danger/T-Mobile servers to optimize it for the phone. Web, MMS, AIM, and so on.

Theoretically even if data worked on a Sidekick, you'd somehow have to get it to authenticate to the Danger/T-Mo servers, which I highly doubt could happen. And the server specs aren't really out there from what I've seen - so there'd be no way of running your own server.
The main problem with the Sidekick isn't just on T-Mobile's side, but Danger's side as well.

All data sent from a Sidekick is routed through the Danger/T-Mobile servers to optimize it for the phone. Web, MMS, AIM, and so on.

Theoretically even if data worked on a Sidekick, you'd somehow have to get it to authenticate to the Danger/T-Mo servers, which I highly doubt could happen. And the server specs aren't really out there from what I've seen - so there'd be no way of running your own server.

16 of 16 (4,252 Views)