Troubleshoot your device issues
dtrautz's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 7th, 2012 7:12 AM

Switching from a "smartphone" to a "dumbphone"?

I currently have a smartphone with a data plan, I was wondering if I buy a phone (that isn't a smartphone) would a data plan be required or could I just use the new non-smartphone without the cost of the data plan? I have a contracted plan but I'm not sure if the data plan is contracted or not since there is an option to lessen the data plan price etc. But I want to make sure I won't be hit with a data plan charge if I do switch to a "dumb phone". Thanks!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

12 years ago

If you buy a "dumbphone" you can remove the data plan with no charge.  The contract is for voice service, not data. 

However, if you bought your smartphone from someone other than AT&T (Wal Mart, Amazon, Best Buy, etc) you may want to double check their requirements before you make any changes.  They sometimes have stipulations in the contract that if you change your service you're hit with a huge fee (to make up for the discounted price of the phone). 

Also be aware, if you currently have a smartphone unlimited data plan and change to a dumbphone you will not be able to get unlimited data back if you go back to a smartphone. 

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Great answer!

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Do you know if it's possible to transfer your account to a family member? I have an unlimited data plan that was grandfathered in but I now have a dumbphone as well. My sister is looking at possibly switching to ATT, is there a way to "give" her my account and I transfer to a new plan with no data at all?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@kleung13 wrote:
Do you know if it's possible to transfer your account to a family member? I have an unlimited data plan that was grandfathered in but I now have a dumbphone as well. My sister is looking at possibly switching to ATT, is there a way to "give" her my account and I transfer to a new plan with no data at all?

not transferable, when you switched to the dumbphone that data plan was removed and it is no longer accessable

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

the rep kept me on a iphone 4 in the system, even tho i have a "dumb" flip phone now...because I mentioned I MIGHT go back to the iphone when the 5 comes out, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until May...

so bascially i'm paying 30 bucks a month for unlimited data, but don't have a phone that can use it...the rep said i can't even apply that data plan to an ipad..

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@kleung13 wrote:

the rep kept me on a iphone 4 in the system, even tho i have a "dumb" flip phone now...because I mentioned I MIGHT go back to the iphone when the 5 comes out, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until May...

so bascially i'm paying 30 bucks a month for unlimited data, but don't have a phone that can use it...the rep said i can't even apply that data plan to an ipad..

nope, it is specificly for the number that you have for it, unless you are planning on getting a new smartphone phone shortly you might as well cancel it and use the 30.00 elsewhere. There is always the chance that a if the softare does a check it will notice the fact you have no smartphone and auto cancel it for you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.