Troubleshoot your device issues
lukeybird's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, February 22nd, 2013 4:33 AM

Swapping phones

My sister lost her cell phone that is on a 2yr contract w/ AT&T...they are telling her she needs to buy a brand new phone, which she can't afford. Can she purchase a refurbished phone for much less money and swap it with her old cell phone? Her Insurance does not cover lost/stolen phones. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Or she could use an old phone that she has as a backup.  If one of her friends/family/coworkers has an AT&T compatible phone that she can use until she is upgrade eligible, she can do that, as well.

If she chooses to purchase a new phone, she can purchase anything from the cheapest GoPhone to a Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store.  She has many choices; she just has to determine what choice best suits her needs.

If she buys a basic phone and had any grandfathered data plans on her line, she will lose those and won't be able to get them back, so that is something to consider.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

Sure she can...but  you may have to give CC a call to give them the correct IMEI number. What type of phone did she lose and which is she thinking of buying, may I ask?? 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

As of now, no clue Smiley Surprised. She had a Smart Phone but it's been since the fall it got lost in a pile of leaves. At & T keep telling her she has to purchase brand new

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@lukeybird wrote:

As of now, no clue Smiley Surprised. She had a Smart Phone but it's been since the fall it got lost in a pile of leaves. At & T keep telling her she has to purchase brand new

She can certainly purchase a refurbished phone. Is it a rep at a brick and mortar ATT store that keeps telling her she has to purchase a brand new phone??? I don't see why they would tell her that. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

Or get  att gophone and put the sim in it, helped a friend do that when she dropped her current one in a porta potty - that was not pretty. they are avialable from a basic flip phone to a low end android smartphone

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

No, it's when she calls the number on her bill. She's not tech savy, neither am I but I know a LITTLE more than she does. So, was going to take her to the brick & mortar place and get it all set. Figured I find out what I could before we went...and you've helped A LOT!!! I have Sprint and something similar happened to me but had no trouble, although I dislike them (ssshh Smiley Wink)

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

Good luck... don't let them talk her into a brand new phone. Let us know how you make out. Thanks! 🙂
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.