Troubleshoot your device issues
mrmartin86's profile

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

Friday, October 10th, 2008 4:41 AM

Closed

Sony Ericsson w760 Ringtones INFO!

Okay, I'm going to save everyone a headache when they make mp3 ringtones for their new SE 760 phones. If you are like me and like to make your own ringtones from mp3s, then read on!

At first I thought at&t had blocked personal mp3s from being used as ringtones (stored onto the phones internal memory), but after much playing around, I found that there is a 292kb size limit to the ringtone in order to be played! AND I MEAN EXACTLY 292KB LIMIT (not even a byte over, took a lot of editing to find that out). Aim for <291kb to be safe. If you want to make a longer ringtone, just pick a lower quality to lower the size of the file. The shorter the mp3 is, the better the quality to can have. Again, that is for ringtones being stored on the phone's internal memory (haven't tested the memory cards yet) and being transfered to the phone with SE's PC Suite. I personally use audio editing software to make mine (I use WavePad v3.05), but you are free to use whatever.

Feel free to post about if you find contradicting information, or anything else that could be helpful to the ringtone making world!

Message Edited by mrmartin86 on 10-09-2008 10:01:01 PM

Accepted Solution

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

15 years ago

I couldn't really tell you the length of the clip, because it depends on the quality that you save it as. The higher the quality (i.e. 192, 160, etc.) the shorter the clip will have to be because better quality makes bigger files. The lower the quality (i.e. 128, 112, 96, etc.), the longer you can make the clip to fit. As for deleting files, if you have the phone connected to the computer via USB cable or bluetooth, just use the SE manager program and go to the designation folder and delete the file you want to delete. It will ask for confirmation on the phone. To manually delete from just the phone, go to Menu>My Stuff> then the folder which the file you want to delete is under. In this case, ringtones would be Menu>My Stuff>Music>Ringtones, then click Options and delete.

Also, did your w760a also not come with a USB connector and headset as well? Mine came with neither, but the guy at at&t had a spare music headset he gave me, and I called Sony Ericsson (which has excellent customer service from my few calls so far), and they are sending me a USB cable for nothing.

Also, does your battery life suck too? I think mine my be defective, because even in standby, it loses about 7% every hour. SE is also sending me a new battery. Thanks guys.

Any other questions, feel free to post and I'll do my best to answer them.

Message Edited by mrmartin86 on 10-15-2008 08:21:00 AM

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

15 years ago

I found this out also.  The lowest quality I would use is 112kps.  AT&T will never block the use of this because if they did they would be as shady as Verizon (the satan of cell phones providers).  FYI my fiance' has Verizon and was disappointed when she could not bluetooth mp3 files to her phone for ringtones.  I have since found out that you can send mp3 files from your AT&T phone as a mms to a Verizon phone and they can then save as a ringtone (In case any of you know frustrated Verizon users).

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks for the information about how long of a song is 292kb? And how do you delete ones that have already been saved to the phone I don't see an option.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

If you don't find a menu option to delete ringtones that you've saved to the phone, try using the "clear" key - looks like it should be a small button under the "end" key.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks for the information. My phone didn't come with a USB cable or really anything but the battery and booklet. I will give SE a call as well. I have only had my phone one day so I don't know about the battery life so far. When a text message come in and you open it does it say the word Text: and then the message afterward? that bothers me. I know it is a text message I don't need it written out. Do you know how to get rid of that?

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

15 years ago

I hadn't noticed that, but now that you've mentioned it, it does. I can't find anything that will remove that, it is probably the coding of the actual texting program. Probably is for the purpose of differentiating from other things that could be in a message such as an attachment, picture, etc.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

Just wanna thanks to all of you guys...you really solved my problem! ^_^..I have down my own mp3 file to under 290 kb, and it works for the ring tone!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

So does anyone know if the 292k MP3 limit is AT&T imposed? If I debrand the phone will that limit disappear? This is so ridiculous, my W600 frp, 3 years ago had no limit, why do this now? Also, MP3's of any size can be used for message alerts, but ringtones where they're actually needed! So far the W760 has been almost a step down from my W600. Truly disappointing.

Scholar

• 

214 Messages

15 years ago

As per the forums, after debrand, ther is no limit.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

@hibbleton wrote:
So does anyone know if the 292k MP3 limit is AT&T imposed? If I debrand the phone will that limit disappear? This is so ridiculous, my W600 frp, 3 years ago had no limit, why do this now? Also, MP3's of any size can be used for message alerts, but ringtones where they're actually needed! So far the W760 has been almost a step down from my W600. Truly disappointing.

Unfortunately at&t's firmware did the same thing to the W580i.  Any audio file can be used for a message alert - doesn't even need to be in the "ringtones" folder; yet, you had to make a < 600 kB clip of an MP3 and store it in the ringtones folder to use it as a ringtone. 

I presume they do it to try to steer users of the "music phones" to continue to purchase ringtones from at&t's MediaMall.  😞
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.