Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Sony Ericsson W760a - Please Help

Voyager

Sony Ericsson W760a - Please Help

I upgraded my phone recently to W760a with 2 yr. contract extension with AT&T. After receiving the shipment, to my surprise I did not find any USB cable or Hands free cables.

I just received the phone and the charger. I do not understand how could they not send a USB cable and hands free set for a walkman phone.

Earlier, I had 810i and 580i , for which I received both the cables. I do not have the old phones or cables with me now.

What use is the phone, if I cannot upload/download songs, themes, wallpapers, photos or listen to songs ?

Can any one please suggest if this is the case for everyone, or is it just me ? Also, please suggest what to do ?

Message Edited by tipparti on 01-09-2009 02:14:28 PM
Message Edited by tipparti on 01-09-2009 02:15:34 PM
Message 1 of 14
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by tipparti
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Sony Ericsson W760a - Please Help

It's not just you--the only wired anything I got was the power cord.  It would have been a nice gesture for SE to include but neither is absolutely mandatory.  I listen to music with bluetooth headphones.  And I transfer music by removing the M2 card, putting it in my PC, and using the Vista file system.  That said, you can buy accessories on Amazon, among other places. 
Message 2 of 14
Teacher

Mine didn't come with a cable either so I ended up buying one seperately.  What I later did and recommend to anyone else who sees this is to simply buy a generic bluetooth adapter for your PC and use that for your phone connection.  It's much easier than the cable and bypasses the requirement to unplug and replug the phone to switch modes.  They cost about $15 which may have been cheaper than the cable anyway, plus you can use the bluetooth to connect other devices to your PC.
Message 3 of 14
Teacher

Bluetooth is very convenient. Seems to me though that transfer speeds are noticably slower--which could be a problem for a lot of data. 
Message 4 of 14
Teacher

It took 2 min 10 sec to copy a 11.9 MB MP3 via bluetooth compared with about 10 seconds for the same file using the cable, so yes, it is considerably slower.  This is pretty much only an issue with copying music (for me at least).  Good point though.
Message 5 of 14

The W760a does not include a USB cable.  Go to this site:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Sony+Ericsson+-+W760a+-+Bl...

and click on Accessories tab, you will see the Included Accessories.  The cable is not one of them.  You can buy the cable (Sony Ericsson USB Cable DCU-60 ) on Amazon

If you want to use the FM radio, you have to buy a wired headset like the Sony Ericsson HPM-77 Stereo Portable Handsfree.  The radio uses the wire as an antenna. 

Message 6 of 14
Teacher

Yup. How about that. A walkman phone ...well I mean a walkman phone SHELL!

When was the last time you bought a portable music device (ie ipod, etc) that did not come with at least the minimum parts to use the main features! No memory, no usb wire, no headphones! Come on AT+T.

When it first came out, I went to the  ATT store...the clerk swore up and down that the data cable and headphones were included. He get a box and opened it...said 'Oh, you are right! What good is that?'

Good thing Apple doesn't take this approach!

On sony's website, I believe it shows the cable and headphones included. Apparently att must buy just the phone and charger now.

Bummer.

Just hope my old 600i hangs in there for a while!

Message 7 of 14
Tutor

As soon as I decided to keep the phones, I searched eBay for all the accessories and found them.  I ordered the USB  data cable and the generic car charger for $5.95 from one vendor, two 4Gig m2 memory stickmicro for $37 and change and the one OEM HPM70 handfree headset for $7.99.  Shipping was included on all items and they all work as advertised but I took special care as to not order from any vendor from China or Hong Kong for obvious reasons (they tend to ship fake OEM item such as headsets). 
Message 8 of 14
Professor

Wolw, they are getting cheap.
Message 9 of 14
Professor

Actually, I bet they do away more and more with the USB cables, since the Memory cards have slots in the new computers (I have one of those Smiley Surprised ).
Message 10 of 14
Teacher

I wonder how long it will be til the battery and charger are extra cost items!!

Message 11 of 14
Expert

@phantomracer wrote:

wonder how long it will be til the battery and charger are extra cost items!!

Hopefully not till after the wireless carriers get smart and stop selling the phones themselves.

Message 12 of 14
Contributor

Is it possible to use my Jawbone bluetooth device as the headset and listening portal for my W760a SE phone?
Message 13 of 14
Teacher

If you call Sony-Ericsson and ask them about the usb cord, which model you need, and mention that there wasn't one in the box the phone came in, they will most likely send one to you for free.  That's what they did for me.  They're a really great company and do a nice job of taking care of its customers.  
Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support