Troubleshoot your device issues
junyii's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, October 26th, 2008 2:56 AM

Closed

Sony Ericsson W580i vs Sony Ericsson W760

Hello all. I would like some opinions on which phone to choose when I switch carriers in the upcoming month.

From the information I've gathered, I've come up with a small comparison list:

Sony Ericsson W580i:
Smaller in size
Comes in "Velvet Red", which I think has a nice feel to it
Cool side light effects
2.0 Megapixel Camera/no autofocus/flash
Nice walkman player
Cuter looking. haha

Sony Ericsson W760:
3.2 Megapixel Camera/also no autofocus/flash 😞
Walkman player has landscape mode
Accelerometer
Keypad and build seems more sturdy. I've tried out the w580i keypad and it also seems pretty good, but from reading multiple complaints about it, this opinion may change after while if I do end up purchasing it.
GPS (which if counts as data, I would not end up using)

The w580i is currently free after rebates, while the w760 is around 150.00 when purchased online. The indifference in price isn't a big deal though.

With that said - which phone do you guys think I should pick? Please post any opinions/takes/personal experience with the phone.

Thanks!

Message Edited by junyii on 10-25-2008 07:57:46 PM

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

@junyii wrote:
Hello all. I would like some opinions on which phone to choose when I switch carriers in the upcoming month.

From the information I've gathered, I've come up with a small comparison list:

Sony Ericsson W580i:
Smaller in size
Comes in "Velvet Red", which I think has a nice feel to it
Cool side light effects
2.0 Megapixel Camera/no autofocus/flash
Nice walkman player
Cuter looking. haha

Sony Ericsson W760:
3.2 Megapixel Camera/also no autofocus/flash 😞
Walkman player has landscape mode
Accelerometer
Keypad and build seems more sturdy. I've tried out the w580i keypad and it also seems pretty good, but from reading multiple complaints about it, this opinion may change after while if I do end up purchasing it.
GPS (which if counts as data, I would not end up using)

The w580i is currently free after rebates, while the w760 is around 150.00 when purchased online. The indifference in price isn't a big deal though.

With that said - which phone do you guys think I should pick? Please post any opinions/takes/personal experience with the phone.

Thanks!

Message Edited by junyii on 10-25-2008 07:57:46 PM

While the "cool side light effects" are there - personally I would not consider them as a deciding factor.  While there are many light effect "choices", the variance between them is not great.  Also, themes have to be properly encoded to switch back to the chosen light effect after the Walkman is used - otherwise the light effects just become green/orange.  Individual light effects can be established for contacts, but they cannot be turned off for specific callers.  😞

You don't mention it, but if the GPS supported pedometer/fitness application is important to you - at&t removed it from the 760a; you would have to get the unbranded version for the "Tracker" application.  It is included on the at&t branded W580i (not GPS supported) and is one of my favorite features - the "Pocket Trainer" application is pretty nice.

Scholar

• 

214 Messages

15 years ago

You can get 760 for free with 2 years ATT service, here is the link http://www.wirefly.com/specialoffer.aspx?cid=33866_6def8601546a41ada01dd6364e036dcc  . You will also get bluetooth free from this site. I would go with 760 because it is new and has big keypad with big switch when compared to 580i. 580i keys are very small. If you want slide phone then go with 760. To check reviews goto www.gsmarena.com   . I am using Z750a, I like this phone with big keys. regarding 580i, some guys has keypad, LCD screen problems. Check the reviews on 580i and 760 before buying.

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

15 years ago

The only thing about getting it from Wirefly/Amazon be prepared to sign 2 contracts as Wirefly has its own contract on top of ATT's thats the only bad thing about buying a phone from a vendor instead of straight from ATT. Wirefly is not the only one its just others do it as well always at least skim if not read the fine print before signing ANY contract.

Message Edited by scooterjes on 10-26-2008 09:41:11 AM

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

After alot of research, I went with the W760a.  I got mine for free from the local AT&T store.  I went to Walmart.com and found it on their phone list for free, printed it out and took it to the store and they matched the deal.  I don't know if they do that at all stores but it is worth a try!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

I always thought that the light effects were a cool little extra effect though. It was one of the few reasons that led me into researching more about the device itself.

What is the unbranded version of the fitness application like? If it's similiar to the w580i, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I wouldn't end up using the GPS anyways, for my plan will not include data.

Does the W760 have flash themes? I did a quick browse through the menu yesterday at an AT&T stand, and saw that it was the 'splat' theme.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

well my opinion is that if you want to have a good camera get the w760 but for all the other stuff get the w5801 to TELL YOU THE TRUTH I WOULD PREFARE W580I GET THAT AND BEALIVE ME YOU WILL BE HAPPYSmiley Happy

Mod note: Please refrain from altering the font to an abrasive size. Thank you.

Message Edited by Sentry on 11-12-2008 03:19:52 PM

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

I already made my decision, hence the reason why this thread was in the back pages of the forum.. It's really not necessary to use a font of that size on the forums. I, along with the other users, are not visually impaired. Instead, it looks annoying and takes up more then enough space on the forums. If you're going to use a font for all to see, you could at least speak proper English. What on earth is "I would prefare w580i" ?? There is something called spellchecking and punctuation marks..

Thanks.

Edit: Op, it looks like user "Sentry" fixed the issue while I was typing. Thanks. I'll check a solution.

Message Edited by junyii on 11-12-2008 12:14:13 PM
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.