Troubleshoot your device issues
Triumphguy's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 1:33 PM

Screen Won't Turn Off During While Charging

I purchased a new Samsung G S2 and am happy with except for one thing.  While it is charging at night, I turn off the screen.  If anything wakes the phone during the night to cause the screen to light, it will never timeout.  My normal timeout is set to 15s.  My old Nexus One phone had an option under Settings\ Applications\ Development\ USB Stay Awake that could be toggled.   This does not exist in the Samsung version.

I wanted to know if anyone is having this issue?  Also, is there a setting in a menu that I'm missing?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Ok I solved my issue but it wasn't completely straight forward.

First, I had pulled the battery previously but decided before taking the phone back I would pull it one last time.  I pulled the battery and left it out for a good five minutes.  This corrected the issue of not turning off when I would plug the phone in and then not open with the screen lock.  So I assumed some software error caused this and the hard reboot cleared it.

The next night same problem again however the pin lock test is still working like it should.  So I go looking for programs that might turn on the screen and found that my podcast program Beyond Pod has a setting to turn on the screen when downloading podcast.  This is due to some phones shutting off the Wifi when the screen is not in use.  I changed this setting so that it will not turn on the screen and have not had an issue.

So it appears there were two issues.  One with the phone software itself which may come back and the second my podcast program.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

What are you using to charge the phone? The original AC adapter? I don't have this problem at all. The only time the screen will keep on is using the dock charger (either Samsung desktop dock or car dock). There will be a dock mode icon show up in the notification bar if this type of charger is used.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

At home I'm just using a generic charger.  It doesn't recognize it as a desktop cradle.  I'm at work and just tried the factory Samsung charger and it acts the same way.  Here is what I did.

I plugged in the phone to the charger and then pressed the power button to turn the screen off.

I then pressed the power button again.  I use a key pattern lock which I did not input.  The screen will dim but will not turn back off.

What I noticed last night is the screen turns on when the battery is fully charged and never turns off.

I even turned off the power monitoring to see if that had an effect and it didn't.  If I don't get a resolution soon, I may just exchange it.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Sounds like a lock screen bug in pattern unlock screen. I use PIN unlock per my exchange server requirement and don't have this problem. There is another bug in the pattern unlock screen as well (search for AT&T GS2 security bug).

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

12 years ago

I never used a PIN lock and my screen always closes down during charging.. If its not a setting of some sort I'd return it and get another.. It would be a pain to have to always turn the phone off to charge.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

@pmt1209 wrote:

I never used a PIN lock and my screen always closes down during charging.. If its not a setting of some sort I'd return it and get another.. It would be a pain to have to always turn the phone off to charge.

Do you use pattern lock? If so, did you try repeat the steps outlined in post #3 to see if it is working or not? I have no pattern lock so I can't comment on how pattern lock works or not working.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.