For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
spd2demun's profile

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 6:57 AM

SIM Won't Activate

Long story short--last phone was returned (it came with a SIM), now the existing SIM from old phone will not activate.

This has always worked in the past.  I contacted CS and they couldn't activate the SIM; they said I needed to go to a store and buy a new one for $25!  Then CS said they could send a new one for free (I opted for that, but still hasn't arrived).

WHY is the old SIM no longer able to be activated by CS?

I should mention this is an ancient dumbphone which had no IMEI code inside back of phone, but we were able to retrive it with some keypad codes.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

The only other devices AT&T sponsors for 3G broadband use is the iPad. No other phones use microSIMs. It seems that microSIMs are Apple-specific.

You can get a new SIM whenever you need one, but they usually come free when you upgrade to a new phone. Again, you may not always need a new one.

I'm not sure about alternating between using a standard-sized SIM and a microSIM. AT&T will probably not cut you some slack every time... 😉

It could be possible that other phones in the future will begin using microSIMs, but there's still some time to go before AT&T and the phone manufacturers will make the final decision.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.