For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
tram66's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, September 21st, 2008 1:00 PM

Closed

Problem with new SIM chip

I have a W580i. I'm in the UK for three months, so I bought a chip from Telesital to use instead of paying AT&Ts international charges. When I insert the card, I get the error saying "Insert correct Smartchip". I tried the instructions AT&T gave me (hit the left arrow, then star twice, then the left arrow) but nothing happens. I've made sure the chip locks into place. I would prefer not to call customer service, since it wouldn't be a free call, so any help?

Accepted Solution

Scholar

• 

214 Messages

16 years ago

As hme83  allued, you can unlock using ATT simcard. Even I did unlock my phone using ATT simcard. Since with new simcard you are getting error, use att simcard just for unlocking then change to local simcard. ATT won't charge for using ATT simcard to unlock. But if someone calls or if you get a voicemail then they will charge. for 1 min $1.99

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

16 years ago

tram66 wrote:
I have a W580i. I'm in the UK for three months, so I bought a chip from Telesital to use instead of paying AT&Ts international charges. When I insert the card, I get the error saying "Insert correct Smartchip". I tried the instructions AT&T gave me (hit the left arrow, then star twice, then the left arrow) but nothing happens. I've made sure the chip locks into place. I would prefer not to call customer service, since it wouldn't be a free call, so any help?

The phone is likely still locked to AT&T and is rejecting other SIM cards. You need to either unlock it yourself or get the code from AT&T. You can call CS at 1-916-843-4685 from a landline and ask them to call you back. What you need from them is subsidy unlock code.

Message Edited by dmapr on 09-21-2008 08:20:02 AM

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

16 years ago

Do you mean the phone just does absolutely nothing?  You do have the Telestial SIM in the phone while trying to unlock it?

My W580i is already unlocked, but even with an at&t SIM card - left, **, left - brings up the "hidden" network menu.  I recall when unlocking my W580i the instructions weren't exactly right, but they were close enough to easily follow them.

You can call the international customer service department (I'm not certain if they are open on Sunday) and ask them to call you back so that your charges are minimized.  Their number is +1-916-843-4685.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

16 years ago

Of course customer service is closed on Sundays... 

And yes, the SIM is in and the phone does absolutely nothing.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

16 years ago

😞  I would have hoped that international customer service would be open seven days/week.

Maybe someone else will have other thoughts - but I'd try doing a master reset (menu/settings/general), and then try the unlocking process again.  (Although if you don't have a way to backup your phone first, you may not want to try the master reset - I've seen mixed comments re: whether it deletes user content or not.  I believe the phone does warn you that it will delete contacts, photos, user-installed applications, etc.)

Message Edited by hme83 on 09-21-2008 11:31:44 AM

Scholar

• 

214 Messages

16 years ago

Instead of calling them using internal charge, you can also send an email to customer service and ask them to call you back. I think there is no instant chat with ATT. Hope with helps you.

Expert

• 

13K Messages

16 years ago

@hme83 wrote:
     😞  I would have hoped that international customer service would be open seven days/week.

They are 24/7, regular customer care is not 24/7 though.

Guru

• 

500 Messages

16 years ago

@wilcre wrote:

@hme83 wrote:

You can call the international customer service department (I'm not certain if they are open on Sunday) and ask them to call you back so that your charges are minimized.  Their number is +1-916-843-4685.

Calls to that number also will not appear as roaming charges, it appears to be a charged call but will be free.

Expert

• 

13K Messages

16 years ago

@SMHarman wrote:

@wilcre wrote:

@hme83 wrote:

Calls to that number also will not appear as roaming charges, it appears to be a charged call but will be free.

Yes there international customer care department is open 24 hours, 7 days a week and 365 days a year (366 days for a leap year).
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.