Troubleshoot your device issues
stormcontrol's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, August 10th, 2011 12:14 AM

Prepaid sim AT&T on unlocked SGS II

Hi,

I'm from Singapore and will be in Houston for business for about 3 months. As I am unfamiliar with US carriers, I would like to check if AT&T (whose 3G bands my SGS II *seems* to support) has a data+voice+sms prepaid sim card plan which I may use?

Would that be the GoPhone Plans? If so, could someone please explain to me the charges I'll be looking at? The ATT Wireless webby on this is confusing me (especially the $50 per month plan. I get access to Internet but must purchase a separate data package??).

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@stormcontrol wrote:

Hi,

I'm from Singapore and will be in Houston for business for about 3 months. As I am unfamiliar with US carriers, I would like to check if AT&T (whose 3G bands my SGS II *seems* to support) has a data+voice+sms prepaid sim card plan which I may use?

Would that be the GoPhone Plans? If so, could someone please explain to me the charges I'll be looking at? The ATT Wireless webby on this is confusing me (especially the $50 per month plan. I get access to Internet but must purchase a separate data package??).

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Yes, what you would want for three months is a prepaid GoPhone plan. The amount/charges you will be paying will depend on which prepaid plan you choose. It also depends on how much talking/text messaging you think you will be doing while you are here.

As for the $50 Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data plan, since you are using a smartphone, I think the available "data access" would not apply to your phone. Therefore, you will have to purchase a separate data package if you want to use data services. GoPhone data packages come in increments of $5 for 10 MB, $15 for 100 MB, and $25 for 500 MB.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@stormcontrol wrote:

Wow. Thanks for the confirmation and the clarification.

So if I wish to go on the 10cents/min plan + 200 msg/month + 500mb/month packages how would the upfront charges and the purchase procedure work?

Would it be like this:

Go ATT store -> Purchase a GoPhone SIM card and a $60 Pay As You Go card -> Install SIM on phone -> Using phone, activate msg and data packages for $4.99 + $25 = $29.99 to be deducted from the $60 stored value, total expenditure = $60? Am am missing any other charges like a sim card activation charge etc?

Also what happens if say I used 199 msg or 499mb data and the month isn't up yet. Can I purchase another msg or data package? Or will I be restricted to buying only 1 package a month? =p

Thanks again! 

Yes, that is the correct way to do everything step-by-step. Except, GoPhone refill cards do not come in values of $60, but rather increments of $15, $25, $50, and $100. To make up for $60, you could purchase a $50 card and a $15 one to make a total balance of $65, which is just $5 more than what you initially wanted. You can also add however much money you'd like to your account (could be exactly $60) by using a credit card. I prefer the refill cards as they are easier to use, but it's your choice.

No, there is not a SIM card activation fee, which is extremely nice to not have to pay.

You will not be restricted as to purchasing only one messaging/data package a month - you can pick however many times to renew your features as you'd like. 😄

You're welcome. 🙂

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

Wow. Thanks for the confirmation and the clarification.

So if I wish to go on the 10cents/min plan + 200 msg/month + 500mb/month packages how would the upfront charges and the purchase procedure work?

Would it be like this:

Go ATT store -> Purchase a GoPhone SIM card and a $60 Pay As You Go card -> Install SIM on phone -> Using phone, activate msg and data packages for $4.99 + $25 = $29.99 to be deducted from the $60 stored value, total expenditure = $60? Am am missing any other charges like a sim card activation charge etc?

Also what happens if say I used 199 msg or 499mb data and the month isn't up yet. Can I purchase another msg or data package? Or will I be restricted to buying only 1 package a month? =p

Thanks again! 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 😃

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

You're all too welcome! 😄

Good luck and have fun while in the U.S.!

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

13 years ago

Check to make sure  ATT doesn't have the extra fee of $2 for when you use the go phone.

I've been trying to find something affordable too. By the times the add-on get put on you're really up to about $39 a month if you use it pretty often.   T_Mobile has what they call  "Montlhy Plans" where you bring your own GSM phone, prefereably unlocked.  The best one is $50 a month for UNLIMITED Talk, Text & Surf".  The 1st 100MB are at 4G and the rest at a lower speed. 

or

"Pay by th Minutes Plan".  It's great if you're not a big user.  You can get 30 minutes for 90 days @ $10. 

or

upto 1000 minutes for $100.

and

As long as you refill before you run out of minutes they will give you a bonus of 15% more minutes after you have paid in $100

on future minutes.

I have someone in the family who only uses about 10 minutes a month so $10 x4 refills = $40 a year.  That's a lot cheaper

than the cheapest cell plan or the add on for a family plan. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.