For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
QuadQuark's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 3:20 AM

Phone Cloning or Wi-Fi Theft how do you catch/identify who the culprit is?

I have a friend who has had obvious phone cloning going on: Example: 19 messages appeared on his Facebook page saying; Do You drink enough Water--all back to back, and other weird things. I am not educated in this topic, but wonder what program a person can use to actually locate the party responsible for taking over and cloning your phone, as many of my friends are now asking me what they should do when they have suspicious activity on their phones. I am a senior citizen and I use a flip phone (And a laptop)--can't run those new doohickeys...  Can you give me suggestions to relay to them?  It could be Wi-Fi theft (Police don't care--too busy with more important things). Thought that knowing who it might be could also help to get a program to thwart the activity whether cloning of Wi-Fi theft.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

Well I certainly believe that phone cloning is possible not that I've seen it (and wish I could do it myself for personal use so I could have one number ring two phones like you could do in the old days when you pluged in a second wired phone ). I don't believe that's the case from what it sounds like, sounds to me more like they've had their Facebook accounts hacked which then sends new Messages as text messages notifications to there phone number. if that's the case they should be using a stronger password on their Facebook preferably unique to each site they visit and use something like lastpass to remember it. they need to clean out any apps and games (and possibly friends they don't know) they've used on Facebook. ( I had an experience Way-back when with an IQ test that gave me a free game, however it was free because it started charging me on my AT&T bill for a monthly subscription). and they need to reset the security questions to something that's not public knowledge a.k.a. write down random answers and keep them in a safe place because it's very easy to find out what somebody's mothers maiden name is these days.

I'm a young guy but I still loved my flip phone, until it had a slight accident....

on another note
I had recently received a new number for a mobile data device and because of phone number recycling. The previous person who had it must've signed up for notifications from Facebook, however they must've signed up for the Spanish version. I had to use my back up phone to reply "STOP" to the message as the data Device did not have text message capability apart from incoming service SMS messages.
So it is also possible that they are getting automated messages sent to their phones as SMS and if that's the case they need to reply "stop" in that message and that will stop them supposedly if they're coming from an honest company.

Then there's the issue of Wi-Fi and computers. so there's a reputable story that I know of where a lady had a legitimate antivirus software that the company lost control of there encryption key for their web address. That then allowed attackers to impersonate. them and then use it in software to loop all data through them where they then had access to the encrypted data and passwords between her and Facebook. which allowed them to post obscene material on this person's Facebook.

So if they're worried about the Computer side of things. I would recommend that they get a USB key or drive and back up all the files and documents (and if you don't have them elsewhere your product keys) and do a factory restore to their computer. install all updates and software. Scan with a good antivirus software the back up and then move their date it back. because I would suspect that they haven't done that since they got the computer, and that's the best way to more or less make sure it's safe assuming you don't bring back an infected file or an infected program from the back up.

I hope that was helpful.
I don't necessarily expect to get back here very soon as I have issues with the AT&T site on my older computer.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Agree with @imark77. What you describe is likely not phone cloning or wifi theft. More than likely that their Facebook account was hacked.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

Not only was the Face Book account attacked his Yahoo account and Gmail account were forcibly closed without authorization. He has since gotten cooperation with Facebook, but has to have a four count Facebook provided password process to access the account. His Yahoo account has been recovered but not Gmail--they wouldn't reply to his request for assistance.  He has had the same phone number for 10 years so don't think the previous owner would be playing games with him​.  His phone does "weird" stuff without instruction, going to different screens or forcing him to go back to previous screens. shutting down, and evidence of people exploring nudie sites---plus someone is using up his screen time when the phone is inactive.  Sorry didn't post this earlier, your memory gets more scrabbled when you get older and things remembered just later than you like.  Thanks for your previous insight, but he is pretty positive it is some devious activity. Just for The Heck Of It, I sent him FB Messenger texts with links about invasion of privacy and the link to file an FBI report---the intrusions stopped for a short time.  (I am sneaky myself sometimes.) Think they got the message but decided it wouldn't be acted on, which it wasn't.  We do know that at one point messages were being intercepted by an EX whose son is probably (After demolishing his knee in High School football in the future...) become a computer expert someday since he is a college-bound A+ student.  (No offense intended...)   On top of other problems he has blocked and blocked people but they keep coming through---Generally ignores them now.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

Email is easy to hack.  Every email account should have 2 step verification on it.  

The issues you describe would be explained by hacked accounts.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

Email is easy to hack.  Every email account should have 2 step verification on it.  

The issues you describe would be explained by hacked accounts.  

Plus I would bet the account owner used the same password for all accounts.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Google play has all kinds of apps for spyware, and they explain how they work and what cloning is etc., but I'm afraid if the source is a remote device, you've got to get a new sim and etc, like mine, I'm seeing someone actually making calls from unknown on MY PHONE, I downloaded an app that shows me my calls are being recorded also, strange numbers in my phone, it's crazy someone would do that, I don't have a husband or bf, so it doesn't make sense, but people do things,.. ?? ALSO in Google play is a wonderful app that does caller ID and you can block the unknown numbers and almost every time it finds out who it is, where from, and their social media accounts, with a picture! It's a great app

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

Spyware isn’t cloning.   Straight off Wikipedia:   

Cloning has been shown to be successful on CDMA, but rare on GSM. However, cloning of a GSM phone is achieved by cloning the SIM card contained within, but not necessarily any of the phone's internal data. GSM phones do not have ESN or MIN, only an International Mobile Station Equipment Identity (IMEI) number. There are various methods used to obtain the IMEI. The most common methods are to hack into the cellular company, or to eavesdrop on the cellular network.

A GSM SIM card is copied by removing the SIM card and placing a device between the handset and the SIM card and allowing it to operate for a few days and extracting the KI, or secret code.[citation needed] This is normally done with handsets that have the option of an "extended battery" by placing the normal size battery in the handset and the KI[clarification needed] in the now vacant extra space. This is done by allowing the device to log the interaction between the mobile telephone switching office and the handset.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.