Troubleshoot your device issues
wmm's profile

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

Monday, November 10th, 2008 10:34 PM

Closed

Opera on Fuze: full (non-mobile) web sites

I'm getting mobile versions of web sites instead of the full version.  I've done the config changes for agent spoofing and user agent string, but it's still happening.  I haven't done an exhaustive experiment, but it appears that when I connect using wifi via my home broadband, I get full sites, but when I use the AT&T wireless connection I get mobile sites.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

15 years ago

The problem is solved.  Someone over on xda-developers suggested going to opera:config, selecting the proxy section, and removing the two "wireless.cingular.com" entries.  Save and exit, and from then on Opera will show the full web sites.  (You need to be connected via AT&T wireless when you do this; if you're connected via wifi, those two entries will already be blank -- which is why wifi worked already!  However, I didn't realize that Opera got different initialization depending on the connection.  Now I do.)

Scholar

• 

55 Messages

15 years ago

Sounds like it is the ATT proxy causing sites to be seen that way.

Guru

• 

847 Messages

15 years ago

Most mobile websites nowadays usually have a link you can click to switch to the full version of the site.

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

15 years ago

@wgarrido wrote:
Sounds like it is the ATT proxy causing sites to be seen that way.

I agree.  Is there anything I can do to get around that problem?

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

15 years ago

@Jldnr77 wrote:
Most mobile websites nowadays usually have a link you can click to switch to the full version of the site.

It appears that m.cnn.com doesn't, or at least I can't find it.  That's my major test case.  (And I have confirmed my original hypothesis: I see www.cnn.com via wifi and m.cnn.com via AT&T wireless consistently.)

Guru

• 

308 Messages

15 years ago

Did anybody try going into Opera settings/display, and disable the mobile view, and see if that helps?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

Neither of these worked for me

Went into config (typed about:config in the address bar) and deleted the 2 proxy entries.  Also checked the spoof ID and changed the custom user string to "Mozilla etc etc".  Restarted the browser

I'm using nba.com and myspace as a baseline.  Both still go to wap/mobile

Did you do any other tweaking?

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

15 years ago

@nopatience wrote:
Neither of these worked for me

Went into config (typed about:config in the address bar) and deleted the 2 proxy entries.  Also checked the spoof ID and changed the custom user string to "Mozilla etc etc".  Restarted the browser

I'm using nba.com and myspace as a baseline.  Both still go to wap/mobile

Did you do any other tweaking?

No, and as a matter of fact, these two sites still go to the wap/mobile versions for me, too.  The only site I really checked out was cnn.com, and I do get the full version of that with those changes.  I don't know what else might be involved with those sites.  Sorry.

Guru

• 

847 Messages

15 years ago

Maybe it's doing it by your IP address?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

I have a question about Opera Mobile on the Fuze.

Why is it not automatically showing me the mobile version of www.ebay.com and www.cnbc.com? In settings, the mobile version box is checked.

Going to a site such as www.cnn.com automatically shows me their mobile/condensed site.

Why for some but not others?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.