Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 14, 2007
8:06:42 PM
View profile
Nokia 6555 problems
I have a Nokia 6555 and it periodically shuts off on me and takes forevor to return also when i plug it into the charger it will repeatedly stop and start charging and it never fully charges and won't hold it's charge a lot.  If somebody could let me know how to fix it or how to get it fixed i'd appreciate it thanks.
I have a Nokia 6555 and it periodically shuts off on me and takes forevor to return also when i plug it into the charger it will repeatedly stop and start charging and it never fully charges and won't hold it's charge a lot.  If somebody could let me know how to fix it or how to get it fixed i'd appreciate it thanks.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 30, 2009 5:52:46 PM
(0)
Tutor
Problem solved.  It was the SIM card. . . plopped it into another phone and that phone did the same thing!  This makes me wonder how much exchanging of phones was unnecessary after all!  Thanks for your help!
Accepted Solution

Nokia 6555 problems

101 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(101)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2009 6:02:01 PM
(0)
Tutor
I've given up.  I am living with this peice of junk for now, but when my term is up, I'm switching over to Verizon (who REALLY has "more bars in more places" around where I live). I encourage everyone to bail out, unless AT&T proactively contacts you with an offer to immediately replace your 6555 with no questions asked.  That's the only way they'll ever keep me beyond the next few months.
I've given up.  I am living with this peice of junk for now, but when my term is up, I'm switching over to Verizon (who REALLY has "more bars in more places" around where I live). I encourage everyone to bail out, unless AT&T proactively contacts you with an offer to immediately replace your 6555 with no questions asked.  That's the only way they'll ever keep me beyond the next few months.

Re: Nokia 6555 problems

61 of 102 (5,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2009 2:52:51 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by nancius on Jan 4, 2009 at 2:54:22 PM

Everything about ATT is difficult, rather than easy.  Wish I had known that all their ads are false (about more bars, warrenties....).  Even registering for this forum was difficult (it took 3 times before the system finally read my password correctly).

I have a 6555 that I bought new last June.  I had three criteria (strong signal reception for sending/receiving calls, strong volume, folding cover), and the ATT sales rep assured me that this phone met all my criteria.  It immediately had issues with poor sound quality, dropped calls, PTT button, no way to control the screen light, occasional screen upside down, occassionally resetting itself to default, inconsistent volume (even with the volume set at maximum), voicemails not being received when made, phone not ringing when calls received, and the phone getting hot, and battery charger connection loose.

I took it back to the ATT store within the 30-day period, but was told to wait two weeks because ATT was upgrading their system and that would probably resolve my issues.  I dutifully waited the two weeks and then returned to the ATT store because the problems still existed, I was told that they would not exchange the phone at the store because I needed to go through their warrenty department and I would have to call 611.  I called 611 and was told to call a different number from a different phone.  By that time I was outside the 30 day limit, but said they would exchange my problem phone for a new one.  I was also instructed to get a new battery from the ATT store (the tech department was out).  ATT refused to consider that I was outside the time limit because of their directions to me, which caused me to be outside that time limit.  Now it seems to me that those directions were a deliberate ploy to put me outside that time limit.

I received my "new" phone with a new sim card, went to the ATT store and got a new battery but within a day began to have identical issues.  Because ATT requires an inordinate amount of time to work through their warrenty system, it took a while for me to be able to set aside the required time to recontact their warrenty department.  I am now waiting on my 3rd phone and just learned that the "new" phones they exchange are not new at all - but refurbished returns - and when I questioned why they don't stand behind their warrenties, the sales rep said ATT is bound by Nokia policy.  But, from reading this thread, it seems that neither Nokia nor ATT stand behind their products, services and ads..... Very frustrating, disheartening and discouraging.  If ATT and Nokia were smart, they would take care of these issues appropriately.  Now I am among the growing number of people telling everyone that ATT and Nokia do not provide reliable services/products/warrenties.  If things don't change, when my contract is up I plan on switching to Nextel or Verizon, which are reliable according to family and friends who have left ATT and gone to those companies.

Message Edited by nancius on 01-04-2009 02:54:22 PM

Everything about ATT is difficult, rather than easy.  Wish I had known that all their ads are false (about more bars, warrenties....).  Even registering for this forum was difficult (it took 3 times before the system finally read my password correctly).

I have a 6555 that I bought new last June.  I had three criteria (strong signal reception for sending/receiving calls, strong volume, folding cover), and the ATT sales rep assured me that this phone met all my criteria.  It immediately had issues with poor sound quality, dropped calls, PTT button, no way to control the screen light, occasional screen upside down, occassionally resetting itself to default, inconsistent volume (even with the volume set at maximum), voicemails not being received when made, phone not ringing when calls received, and the phone getting hot, and battery charger connection loose.

I took it back to the ATT store within the 30-day period, but was told to wait two weeks because ATT was upgrading their system and that would probably resolve my issues.  I dutifully waited the two weeks and then returned to the ATT store because the problems still existed, I was told that they would not exchange the phone at the store because I needed to go through their warrenty department and I would have to call 611.  I called 611 and was told to call a different number from a different phone.  By that time I was outside the 30 day limit, but said they would exchange my problem phone for a new one.  I was also instructed to get a new battery from the ATT store (the tech department was out).  ATT refused to consider that I was outside the time limit because of their directions to me, which caused me to be outside that time limit.  Now it seems to me that those directions were a deliberate ploy to put me outside that time limit.

I received my "new" phone with a new sim card, went to the ATT store and got a new battery but within a day began to have identical issues.  Because ATT requires an inordinate amount of time to work through their warrenty system, it took a while for me to be able to set aside the required time to recontact their warrenty department.  I am now waiting on my 3rd phone and just learned that the "new" phones they exchange are not new at all - but refurbished returns - and when I questioned why they don't stand behind their warrenties, the sales rep said ATT is bound by Nokia policy.  But, from reading this thread, it seems that neither Nokia nor ATT stand behind their products, services and ads..... Very frustrating, disheartening and discouraging.  If ATT and Nokia were smart, they would take care of these issues appropriately.  Now I am among the growing number of people telling everyone that ATT and Nokia do not provide reliable services/products/warrenties.  If things don't change, when my contract is up I plan on switching to Nextel or Verizon, which are reliable according to family and friends who have left ATT and gone to those companies.

Message Edited by nancius on 01-04-2009 02:54:22 PM

[ Edited ]
62 of 102 (5,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2009 5:05:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

For what it's worth, More bars in more places is true--if you're in Europe.  That's because the entire world outside of the US is on the GSM standard that AT&T uses (as does T-Mobile.  Unfortunately, Verizon and Sprint are on the CDMA standard, and since they have developed much more infrastructure in the US than AT&T has, their overall coverage in the US is vastly superior.

So there you have another knock on AT&T -- they are dropping the ball in developing infrastructure in the US; They have let Verizon and Sprint steal the march, which will ensure that the US cell phone climate will remain inferior for many, many years to come (Since Sprint and Verizon qalready have so much infrastructure invested, I suppose that would be until Sprint and Verizon get out of the business).

For what it's worth, More bars in more places is true--if you're in Europe.  That's because the entire world outside of the US is on the GSM standard that AT&T uses (as does T-Mobile.  Unfortunately, Verizon and Sprint are on the CDMA standard, and since they have developed much more infrastructure in the US than AT&T has, their overall coverage in the US is vastly superior.

So there you have another knock on AT&T -- they are dropping the ball in developing infrastructure in the US; They have let Verizon and Sprint steal the march, which will ensure that the US cell phone climate will remain inferior for many, many years to come (Since Sprint and Verizon qalready have so much infrastructure invested, I suppose that would be until Sprint and Verizon get out of the business).

63 of 102 (5,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2009 10:05:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

i am having identical issues with my 6555 where it will turn off at any moment, the batery is weak and will not hold a charge, and on top of it, i got the unlimited texting on my account becasue i am allways talking to my friends, but then, the first time it shut off, the whole phone reset and took allot of the functions like the calcualtor and stuff with it, allong with the whole instant mesanger client!!

if anybody knows any way to fix it, i  will have their babies. i think i might just go to the service center and try to get a new/difrent phone

i think that will all of the issues that happen with this phone that att should really think about a recall. this phone is cheap, and does not work!

i am having identical issues with my 6555 where it will turn off at any moment, the batery is weak and will not hold a charge, and on top of it, i got the unlimited texting on my account becasue i am allways talking to my friends, but then, the first time it shut off, the whole phone reset and took allot of the functions like the calcualtor and stuff with it, allong with the whole instant mesanger client!!

if anybody knows any way to fix it, i  will have their babies. i think i might just go to the service center and try to get a new/difrent phone

i think that will all of the issues that happen with this phone that att should really think about a recall. this phone is cheap, and does not work!

64 of 102 (5,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2009 7:24:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had this phone also and had the same problems. It would randomly shut off in all different situations. The battery doesnt hold a charge well at all it was always dying on me. Also when the phone would die or if it is was shut of manually it would reset to defaults. Like the default ring tone and the default background. so I usually just had it on vibrate. Also it will randomly not send or recieve texts or calls and id have to turn the phone off and on to get it to work. I evenutally got a replacement bc this was all within the year but that phone started doing the same things. And the poeple at the store all act like they dont know what you are talking about.

I recently got the LG Shine, unfortunatly it got water damage but before it did I noticed it shut off a few times. And I have seen some other complaints about this happening to others. I constantly get bad phones, and i dont know if its just at&t phones or cell phones in general. Does anyone have the samsung blackjack II? Is that a good phone? Or could you suggest a phone that doesnt seem to have all these problems. I really loved the shine but im afraid to purchase it again if its just going to give me problems anyways. : ( 

I had this phone also and had the same problems. It would randomly shut off in all different situations. The battery doesnt hold a charge well at all it was always dying on me. Also when the phone would die or if it is was shut of manually it would reset to defaults. Like the default ring tone and the default background. so I usually just had it on vibrate. Also it will randomly not send or recieve texts or calls and id have to turn the phone off and on to get it to work. I evenutally got a replacement bc this was all within the year but that phone started doing the same things. And the poeple at the store all act like they dont know what you are talking about.

I recently got the LG Shine, unfortunatly it got water damage but before it did I noticed it shut off a few times. And I have seen some other complaints about this happening to others. I constantly get bad phones, and i dont know if its just at&t phones or cell phones in general. Does anyone have the samsung blackjack II? Is that a good phone? Or could you suggest a phone that doesnt seem to have all these problems. I really loved the shine but im afraid to purchase it again if its just going to give me problems anyways. : ( 

65 of 102 (5,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2009 11:34:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hey there, did any of you get resolution to this power off problem?

I did! post again if you still having the problem, if theres enough people I'll create a document to explain how to fix it.

Thanks 

Hey there, did any of you get resolution to this power off problem?

I did! post again if you still having the problem, if theres enough people I'll create a document to explain how to fix it.

Thanks 

66 of 102 (5,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2009 5:11:47 AM
(0)
Teacher
After seven months with my 6555 I have to say that I'm glad I kept it. I've have not had any major/deal breaker issues with my phone even tho its obvious many who have posted here have. I just thought I would add a little positiveness on the side of the 6555.

Something strange but good did happen to the phone twice now. You all may not believe me but neither did I until it happened the second time. I dropped my phone, ok no big deal there right? Well, shortly afterwards I realized that I had no sound at all no matter what I did. Although the vibrate function still worked I figured this would be where I would have to part with my 6555 to a new phone. Low and behold, I don't know how but the sound started working again after about an hour. Ok that was a strange but a welcome thing since I saved myself the money and the hassle of a new phone purchase. Ok, all is well until about a month latter I drop my phone again and this time even chip a part of the plastic off of it. Silly me. I had no sound again. I thought surely I couldn't be fortunate enough for the phone to mysteriously fix itself TWICE? After about an hour......the sound returned again and my 6555 is a keeper till this day!
After seven months with my 6555 I have to say that I'm glad I kept it. I've have not had any major/deal breaker issues with my phone even tho its obvious many who have posted here have. I just thought I would add a little positiveness on the side of the 6555.

Something strange but good did happen to the phone twice now. You all may not believe me but neither did I until it happened the second time. I dropped my phone, ok no big deal there right? Well, shortly afterwards I realized that I had no sound at all no matter what I did. Although the vibrate function still worked I figured this would be where I would have to part with my 6555 to a new phone. Low and behold, I don't know how but the sound started working again after about an hour. Ok that was a strange but a welcome thing since I saved myself the money and the hassle of a new phone purchase. Ok, all is well until about a month latter I drop my phone again and this time even chip a part of the plastic off of it. Silly me. I had no sound again. I thought surely I couldn't be fortunate enough for the phone to mysteriously fix itself TWICE? After about an hour......the sound returned again and my 6555 is a keeper till this day!

67 of 102 (4,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2009 8:48:51 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have been having the smae problems with my Nokia 6555 shutting down in the middle of calls of texting etc.  I can live witht he low battery life if it would just stop shutting down all the time.  One night it shut down 5 times! I've been searching for any problems and finally found this site.  Quite well hidden I might add.  I've read about a lot of the problems and I am now trying the battery idea of shoving something in there to tighten the battery up.Hopefully it will work.  If not my boyfriend is getting a new Samsung in a few weeks and I will take his old Samsung that is not as pretty but reliable and works quite well. Maybe if we keep trying we can figure something out.
I have been having the smae problems with my Nokia 6555 shutting down in the middle of calls of texting etc.  I can live witht he low battery life if it would just stop shutting down all the time.  One night it shut down 5 times! I've been searching for any problems and finally found this site.  Quite well hidden I might add.  I've read about a lot of the problems and I am now trying the battery idea of shoving something in there to tighten the battery up.Hopefully it will work.  If not my boyfriend is getting a new Samsung in a few weeks and I will take his old Samsung that is not as pretty but reliable and works quite well. Maybe if we keep trying we can figure something out.

68 of 102 (4,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2009 3:41:07 PM
(0)
Contributor
The fact that this phone automatically turns itself off seems to be a common problem.  Looking not only in this forum but also in a google search, it seems like most of the people who have this phone must have run into this problem.  Mine worked fine for the first few months but began turning itself off a few days ago. It seems like this is a major defect in the phone and it seems like a recall from Nokia and/or AT&T would be in order.
The fact that this phone automatically turns itself off seems to be a common problem.  Looking not only in this forum but also in a google search, it seems like most of the people who have this phone must have run into this problem.  Mine worked fine for the first few months but began turning itself off a few days ago. It seems like this is a major defect in the phone and it seems like a recall from Nokia and/or AT&T would be in order.

69 of 102 (4,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2009 4:24:55 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by IanSee on Jan 25, 2009 at 4:45:26 PM

I have 3 of these phone (wife, daughter, son), all started showing same problem, randomly shutting off and poor battery life. I fixed all three, with relative ease and no more problems. If enough people are interested in the fix I will create a document showing how to fix it.

It will take me some time, which I have very little of, but if it will help enough people, I will do it... I do not work for ATT or Nokia, I simply bought these phones like the rest of you and figured out how to fix the problem. 

{Please do not post personal information on the forums}

Message Edited by IanSee on 01-25-2009 07:45:26 PM

I have 3 of these phone (wife, daughter, son), all started showing same problem, randomly shutting off and poor battery life. I fixed all three, with relative ease and no more problems. If enough people are interested in the fix I will create a document showing how to fix it.

It will take me some time, which I have very little of, but if it will help enough people, I will do it... I do not work for ATT or Nokia, I simply bought these phones like the rest of you and figured out how to fix the problem. 

{Please do not post personal information on the forums}

Message Edited by IanSee on 01-25-2009 07:45:26 PM

[ Edited ]
70 of 102 (4,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2009 5:45:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
sdo, count me among those who would like to see the solution.  Since we are not allowed to post personal info, please just post it in a reply on this forum.  IIt would be much appreicaited, and even if a lot of people don't see your offer and make the request, I am sure that there are many many who will benefit from your efforts.  The fix needs to be made well known.
sdo, count me among those who would like to see the solution.  Since we are not allowed to post personal info, please just post it in a reply on this forum.  IIt would be much appreicaited, and even if a lot of people don't see your offer and make the request, I am sure that there are many many who will benefit from your efforts.  The fix needs to be made well known.

71 of 102 (4,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2009 9:18:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK, here's the deal, I had tried to put together a page with photos. However, several attempts to post have not gone thru... Not sure why!

So here it is in text: The root cause of the failure are the pogo pins that contact the battery terminal. If you don't know what that is that's OK. To fix the problem you need to place a shim between the battery and inner cavity of the phone to take up the extra space and keep the battery from moving. Plastic works best, cut a piece of plastic about 1/4" x 1 1/4" x .040" thick (that's basically a match book cover), in fact, worse case use a match book cover and put a couple layers of scotch tape around it, until the thickness when pushed between the top of the battery and the upper inner cavity of the battery compartment.

Think of it this way, the battery is moving, and sometimes as it moves the contact lose there connection with the battery terminals. Then the phone will power down, because it requires continuous power. Like I said, the problem is the pogo pins (the things that touch the little terminals of the battery) they are spring loaded and the springs are not strong enough to keep the battery from moving. 

Ok Now for those of you who are having battery problems. Similar cause, except your battery is being damaged every time the power source spikes on and off. Or you may simply not be charging completely because of the power on/off problem.

steps:

1) open battery cover.

2) use your finger to move the battery down and up inside the phone (this will help you understand the problem)

3) make and install shim

4) verify that the battery no longer moves (available space now taken up by shim)

5) replace your cover

6) power on your phone and call someone you love to tell them how happy you are!

If the problem still persists you may not have a thick enough shim Or you may have a damaged battery you should replace.

Sorry, I know picture would have been better.  

SDO

OK, here's the deal, I had tried to put together a page with photos. However, several attempts to post have not gone thru... Not sure why!

So here it is in text: The root cause of the failure are the pogo pins that contact the battery terminal. If you don't know what that is that's OK. To fix the problem you need to place a shim between the battery and inner cavity of the phone to take up the extra space and keep the battery from moving. Plastic works best, cut a piece of plastic about 1/4" x 1 1/4" x .040" thick (that's basically a match book cover), in fact, worse case use a match book cover and put a couple layers of scotch tape around it, until the thickness when pushed between the top of the battery and the upper inner cavity of the battery compartment.

Think of it this way, the battery is moving, and sometimes as it moves the contact lose there connection with the battery terminals. Then the phone will power down, because it requires continuous power. Like I said, the problem is the pogo pins (the things that touch the little terminals of the battery) they are spring loaded and the springs are not strong enough to keep the battery from moving. 

Ok Now for those of you who are having battery problems. Similar cause, except your battery is being damaged every time the power source spikes on and off. Or you may simply not be charging completely because of the power on/off problem.

steps:

1) open battery cover.

2) use your finger to move the battery down and up inside the phone (this will help you understand the problem)

3) make and install shim

4) verify that the battery no longer moves (available space now taken up by shim)

5) replace your cover

6) power on your phone and call someone you love to tell them how happy you are!

If the problem still persists you may not have a thick enough shim Or you may have a damaged battery you should replace.

Sorry, I know picture would have been better.  

SDO

72 of 102 (4,799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2009 7:49:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks, sdo. Sounds simple enough! Smiley Happy 

I'm going to make a shim right now.

Thanks, sdo. Sounds simple enough! Smiley Happy 

I'm going to make a shim right now.

73 of 102 (4,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2009 9:12:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have owned several Nokias. The first I would rate first class, but things have been going downhill steadily. At first I would own nothing but a Nokia, but this is my last Nokia.

Would rate this phone a negative if I could. Nokia support has gotten terrible as well. Will keep it brief:
1) Terrible battery life. Even with the "fix" of turning off network connectivity until network connection made it's bad. I carry an extra battery. AT&T will tell you things are fine and show how to do the fix and then say you will be happy. DON'T BELIEVE THEM!
2) Backlight turns off immediately to save power. You cant even read the phone in daylight. This can't be changed. Why - to save power!
3) Abysmal screen. With backlight problem it's worse than abysmal.
4) Terrible, terrible menus. Non-intuitive, and options are hard to decode. Takes forever to get to what you want.
5) Support is horrible. Takes days to get a bad answer.
6) Lack of software other than games, themes, ringtones. So what's the benefit here?

7) Voice recognition is terrible.  My wife's works infinitely better.

8) Found one decent (I think) piece of software available from Nokias application software site. Purchased it, but software was not downloaded. Asked for a re-download - no answer. Tried to redownload myself - got error message. Asked for help - no answer. Loaded software from vendor. It didn't find my GPS. Found that key to software was supposed to be on invoice - it isn't. Asked for help - no response.

This is my last Nokia. Bad hardware, bad software, bad support, lack of software. They've got all bases covered - it just that they're all now bad. How can a company go from the best to the worst in such a short time?

As to AT&T in this whole mess - their staff was the one that recommended this darned thing in the first place (doesn't represent my feelings and I usually don't use fould language, but this is best I can do with the filters that are in place on this site). I will no longer take their recommendations and do my research ahead of time.  Read this as you had my trust and lost it!

I have owned several Nokias. The first I would rate first class, but things have been going downhill steadily. At first I would own nothing but a Nokia, but this is my last Nokia.

Would rate this phone a negative if I could. Nokia support has gotten terrible as well. Will keep it brief:
1) Terrible battery life. Even with the "fix" of turning off network connectivity until network connection made it's bad. I carry an extra battery. AT&T will tell you things are fine and show how to do the fix and then say you will be happy. DON'T BELIEVE THEM!
2) Backlight turns off immediately to save power. You cant even read the phone in daylight. This can't be changed. Why - to save power!
3) Abysmal screen. With backlight problem it's worse than abysmal.
4) Terrible, terrible menus. Non-intuitive, and options are hard to decode. Takes forever to get to what you want.
5) Support is horrible. Takes days to get a bad answer.
6) Lack of software other than games, themes, ringtones. So what's the benefit here?

7) Voice recognition is terrible.  My wife's works infinitely better.

8) Found one decent (I think) piece of software available from Nokias application software site. Purchased it, but software was not downloaded. Asked for a re-download - no answer. Tried to redownload myself - got error message. Asked for help - no answer. Loaded software from vendor. It didn't find my GPS. Found that key to software was supposed to be on invoice - it isn't. Asked for help - no response.

This is my last Nokia. Bad hardware, bad software, bad support, lack of software. They've got all bases covered - it just that they're all now bad. How can a company go from the best to the worst in such a short time?

As to AT&T in this whole mess - their staff was the one that recommended this darned thing in the first place (doesn't represent my feelings and I usually don't use fould language, but this is best I can do with the filters that are in place on this site). I will no longer take their recommendations and do my research ahead of time.  Read this as you had my trust and lost it!

74 of 102 (4,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2009 5:38:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

There have been a lot of issues with the 6555, and unfortunately as you've found - there is no substitute for doing your own research and obtaining independent opinions/user experiences re: any purchase you are considering. 

Hopefully most sales representatives do make recommendations based on reality, but always maintain a healthy degree of skepticism toward what they are "pushing" - as they probably have a financial incentive for doing so.  It's a problem with commission/"spiff" oriented compensation plans.  Smiley Sad

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

There have been a lot of issues with the 6555, and unfortunately as you've found - there is no substitute for doing your own research and obtaining independent opinions/user experiences re: any purchase you are considering. 

Hopefully most sales representatives do make recommendations based on reality, but always maintain a healthy degree of skepticism toward what they are "pushing" - as they probably have a financial incentive for doing so.  It's a problem with commission/"spiff" oriented compensation plans.  Smiley Sad

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

75 of 102 (4,697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2009 3:17:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Count me in as a very unhappy 6555 owner.

I've had cell phone service for 12 years, had ten phones, and the Nokia 6555 is not only the worst phone that I have ever owned -- it is the only phone that I wouldn't dare donate to any charity for a "911 only" service and it's the only phone that will see the business end of a hammer when I replace it.  I'm not sure if I can make it until June when my upgrade option becomes available.

1)  This phone is junk, plain and simple, mostly because Nokia used a battery that simply does not have enough capacity to propery power the phone for normal use.  I would love to see a class action lawsuit there on false advertising.  If I kept my 6555 on a charger all the time and engaged in a few short calls, I'd love this thing but most people use their phones.  You're really in trouble if you got this thing to replace a landline phone.  It's the only phone where I need FOUR chargers -- one wall charger at home and pne at work, and a car charger in both of my vehicles and this is for about two hours of air times during the day.  The darn thing can't go a whole day without a charge even if I don't use it.  My AT&T Motorola on the company account can go for days without a charge.  I only have ONE charger for that one.

2)  The software is buggy but Nokia and ATT have no firmware updates and probably never will.  The thing locks up, goes nuts for no reason and I get code errors on the screen but don't expect a fix.  I'm on my second 6555 and second battery and no difference between the two.

3)  Don't expect Nokia or ATT to admit to this thing being junk.

4) Never take a store rep's advice or recommendation -- do your own research. 

I was with Sprint for nine years before going to Cingular/ATT.  Sprint only had one Nokia phone back then and it was junk and they quickly got rid of it. I had two great Nokia phones on ATT -- one of the old candybars and a 6102i ... but I will avoid Nokia now -- until they get their act together.  I would have been impressed had AT&T and or Nokia admit that this phone is bad and exchange it but their inaction has people understandably upset.  No cell phone is perfect, and I've had a few that I wasn't crazy about, but never have I had a phone as bad as this and it really gives AT&T and Nokia a black eye -- but think about it -- walking away from them won't hurt their bottom line that much..  Their business volume is too high for them to care.  I discovered that with Sprint as well when their customer service go so bad that I left. They don't miss me at all!

Count me in as a very unhappy 6555 owner.

I've had cell phone service for 12 years, had ten phones, and the Nokia 6555 is not only the worst phone that I have ever owned -- it is the only phone that I wouldn't dare donate to any charity for a "911 only" service and it's the only phone that will see the business end of a hammer when I replace it.  I'm not sure if I can make it until June when my upgrade option becomes available.

1)  This phone is junk, plain and simple, mostly because Nokia used a battery that simply does not have enough capacity to propery power the phone for normal use.  I would love to see a class action lawsuit there on false advertising.  If I kept my 6555 on a charger all the time and engaged in a few short calls, I'd love this thing but most people use their phones.  You're really in trouble if you got this thing to replace a landline phone.  It's the only phone where I need FOUR chargers -- one wall charger at home and pne at work, and a car charger in both of my vehicles and this is for about two hours of air times during the day.  The darn thing can't go a whole day without a charge even if I don't use it.  My AT&T Motorola on the company account can go for days without a charge.  I only have ONE charger for that one.

2)  The software is buggy but Nokia and ATT have no firmware updates and probably never will.  The thing locks up, goes nuts for no reason and I get code errors on the screen but don't expect a fix.  I'm on my second 6555 and second battery and no difference between the two.

3)  Don't expect Nokia or ATT to admit to this thing being junk.

4) Never take a store rep's advice or recommendation -- do your own research. 

I was with Sprint for nine years before going to Cingular/ATT.  Sprint only had one Nokia phone back then and it was junk and they quickly got rid of it. I had two great Nokia phones on ATT -- one of the old candybars and a 6102i ... but I will avoid Nokia now -- until they get their act together.  I would have been impressed had AT&T and or Nokia admit that this phone is bad and exchange it but their inaction has people understandably upset.  No cell phone is perfect, and I've had a few that I wasn't crazy about, but never have I had a phone as bad as this and it really gives AT&T and Nokia a black eye -- but think about it -- walking away from them won't hurt their bottom line that much..  Their business volume is too high for them to care.  I discovered that with Sprint as well when their customer service go so bad that I left. They don't miss me at all!

76 of 102 (4,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2009 11:10:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

We also are very unhappy with these phones. There are 4 people on my plan, and we all got these phones...what a mistake!! Each one of us hate them!!

We got these in June 2008, and I hope they last thru to the upgrade period.

Has anyone had the problem of it sounding "tinny?" The tones all sound that way, on all phones. When we first got the phones they had a nice sound, but that's not the case anymore.

The end of the charger, where it plugs into the phone, get bent very easily, and the charger where it plugs into the wall gets very warm.

The picture quality started off nice, but has gotten worse. Also, when zoomed in, it gets really bad.

Yes, we have the same problems as you all have had...the short battery life, I also have a car charger in each vehicle that is ALWAYS plugged in, and I carry the wall outlet in my purse everywhere I go.

The phone frequently shuts off, on my phone it's when I try to send a pic, on my son's phone it's any time...when he's talking on it, it does it alot and he is on his 2nd phone and he paid for the replacement one!!

The phone gets hot when talking on it AND charging.

Does Nokia or any other phone manufacture have a recall? A friend of mine has T-Mobile, and I have never had them but heard alot of bad about their service. But, she had a problem with the SAME type of charger for her Nokia phones, and they ALL got FREE replacement phones....WITHOUT having to start a new 2 year contract!!!

Kat

We also are very unhappy with these phones. There are 4 people on my plan, and we all got these phones...what a mistake!! Each one of us hate them!!

We got these in June 2008, and I hope they last thru to the upgrade period.

Has anyone had the problem of it sounding "tinny?" The tones all sound that way, on all phones. When we first got the phones they had a nice sound, but that's not the case anymore.

The end of the charger, where it plugs into the phone, get bent very easily, and the charger where it plugs into the wall gets very warm.

The picture quality started off nice, but has gotten worse. Also, when zoomed in, it gets really bad.

Yes, we have the same problems as you all have had...the short battery life, I also have a car charger in each vehicle that is ALWAYS plugged in, and I carry the wall outlet in my purse everywhere I go.

The phone frequently shuts off, on my phone it's when I try to send a pic, on my son's phone it's any time...when he's talking on it, it does it alot and he is on his 2nd phone and he paid for the replacement one!!

The phone gets hot when talking on it AND charging.

Does Nokia or any other phone manufacture have a recall? A friend of mine has T-Mobile, and I have never had them but heard alot of bad about their service. But, she had a problem with the SAME type of charger for her Nokia phones, and they ALL got FREE replacement phones....WITHOUT having to start a new 2 year contract!!!

Kat

77 of 102 (4,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2009 12:12:46 AM
(0)
Teacher
Guess I'm one of the few more or less happy users of the 6555 given that mine hasn't been plagued with the auto-shut-off problem. Yes, battery life could be better but remember it is a 3G phone, yes PTT button gets in the way often, but overall it is nice phone considering you could get it under $20 with a 2/y contract. I can get 2 days on a full charge with internet usage, not very bad. As for the lack of applications, ppl, do yourself a favor and go to getjar.com, there is tons of different apps for the phone. At the very least get yourself Opera Mini browser for a change if you're using the phone to browse the internet. 3G feature is great when the phone is used as a modem, I'm getting up to 200k download speeds on my laptop connecting with bluetooth dial-up. My only real complaint is that the phone is unusable as MP3 player which I hoped it would replace. Sound quality over wired connection is terrible, it is advertised as bluetooth A2DP capable, it kinda works except I could never fully use it in the hi-quality mode as it would only play 1 song and stop. And when not in hi-quality mode in addition to sound quality being mediocre at best it would reconnect the headphones after each song producing annoying beep in my bluetooth Samsung headphones. Oh well, can't complain much considering I got mine for free at Costco.
Guess I'm one of the few more or less happy users of the 6555 given that mine hasn't been plagued with the auto-shut-off problem. Yes, battery life could be better but remember it is a 3G phone, yes PTT button gets in the way often, but overall it is nice phone considering you could get it under $20 with a 2/y contract. I can get 2 days on a full charge with internet usage, not very bad. As for the lack of applications, ppl, do yourself a favor and go to getjar.com, there is tons of different apps for the phone. At the very least get yourself Opera Mini browser for a change if you're using the phone to browse the internet. 3G feature is great when the phone is used as a modem, I'm getting up to 200k download speeds on my laptop connecting with bluetooth dial-up. My only real complaint is that the phone is unusable as MP3 player which I hoped it would replace. Sound quality over wired connection is terrible, it is advertised as bluetooth A2DP capable, it kinda works except I could never fully use it in the hi-quality mode as it would only play 1 song and stop. And when not in hi-quality mode in addition to sound quality being mediocre at best it would reconnect the headphones after each song producing annoying beep in my bluetooth Samsung headphones. Oh well, can't complain much considering I got mine for free at Costco.

78 of 102 (4,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2009 6:48:31 AM
(0)
Teacher
Ah hmm, so....there are now two satisfied 6555 owners! Valdemar and me Smiley Happy We're a small group, but a growing one.
Ah hmm, so....there are now two satisfied 6555 owners! Valdemar and me Smiley Happy We're a small group, but a growing one.

79 of 102 (4,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2009 1:44:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

There is no pefect phone out there and I'm sure some folks will like the 6555 and I'm glad they're happy with it but too many people have stated as I have, that being it's the worst phone that they've ever owned.  All I want is a phone that I can use. Yes, it's a 3G phone, and knowing that, Nokia should have used a bigger capacity battery.  One user on another board who has used Nokia phones for years told me that the 6555's battery was once used in an older, less power hungry Nokia phone, forget which model off-hand so they're trying to power a Cadillac with a VW engine.  6555 users who have a service other than ATT or out of the United States tell me that they can shut off the 3G and that solves the battery problem.  We can't shut off the 3G.

Somebody mentioned its use as a MP3 player -- another reason to have a higher capactity battery.  I wouldn't care if this phone was 3/16" thicker to have a better battery -- I actually do like the 6555 other than the lousy battery life and buggy firmware.  I've found that it is one of the clunkiest MP3 players and it loves to lock up but if you want a good MP3 player, get a separate MP3 player but the idea of only one device around is great!  I do have a 2G memory card in it with 250 songs and it works great plugged into my car's stereo system.  If it does lock up moving between songs on occassion, I just have to reboot it.  Sad, because this 6555 is a great concept.

Now, a typical 6555 day for me.  I started one day with a full charge and made two 15 minute phone calls over a two hour period, then went into a meeting for 4 hours.  When I came out, the battery indicator was at the half-way point.  I made a 20 minute call and it went down the last bar.  I drove home, made another 15 minute call, and the phone went dead.  This is why I have to have a charger with me at all times.  This is the ONLY cell phone I've ever owned that's been this bad with a short battery life   This on my second 6555 and second new battery.   I don't text, don't use internet, don't use 3G, only use for phone and music player.  I got it based on rave reviews by AT&T store people (shoulda known!) and I always had good luck with Nokias so this was a major letdown for me.  THEN I read all the reviews of lousy battery life and wish I had before I bought!

Call quality on 6555 is reasonable, but when I use my AT&T Motorola phone on the business line, I get less call drops and better call quality and so much more battery life.  I've used them side-by-side with different results. This Motorola phone is twice to three times as thick with a bigger battery so I often use it on weekends instead of the 6555 so I don't have to worry about a dead phone.  I charge it up on Friday and it lasts me until Tuesday.  Thus, I have an AT&T phone of different brand to compare and the 6555 is clearly inferior.  I'd get another of the Motorolas but then I'd have twins and not always tell them apart!  My wife has the Nokia 6102i on her line and it puts my 6555 to great shame.  Hers is due for an upgrade so she might get a new one and give me that one. 

There is no pefect phone out there and I'm sure some folks will like the 6555 and I'm glad they're happy with it but too many people have stated as I have, that being it's the worst phone that they've ever owned.  All I want is a phone that I can use. Yes, it's a 3G phone, and knowing that, Nokia should have used a bigger capacity battery.  One user on another board who has used Nokia phones for years told me that the 6555's battery was once used in an older, less power hungry Nokia phone, forget which model off-hand so they're trying to power a Cadillac with a VW engine.  6555 users who have a service other than ATT or out of the United States tell me that they can shut off the 3G and that solves the battery problem.  We can't shut off the 3G.

Somebody mentioned its use as a MP3 player -- another reason to have a higher capactity battery.  I wouldn't care if this phone was 3/16" thicker to have a better battery -- I actually do like the 6555 other than the lousy battery life and buggy firmware.  I've found that it is one of the clunkiest MP3 players and it loves to lock up but if you want a good MP3 player, get a separate MP3 player but the idea of only one device around is great!  I do have a 2G memory card in it with 250 songs and it works great plugged into my car's stereo system.  If it does lock up moving between songs on occassion, I just have to reboot it.  Sad, because this 6555 is a great concept.

Now, a typical 6555 day for me.  I started one day with a full charge and made two 15 minute phone calls over a two hour period, then went into a meeting for 4 hours.  When I came out, the battery indicator was at the half-way point.  I made a 20 minute call and it went down the last bar.  I drove home, made another 15 minute call, and the phone went dead.  This is why I have to have a charger with me at all times.  This is the ONLY cell phone I've ever owned that's been this bad with a short battery life   This on my second 6555 and second new battery.   I don't text, don't use internet, don't use 3G, only use for phone and music player.  I got it based on rave reviews by AT&T store people (shoulda known!) and I always had good luck with Nokias so this was a major letdown for me.  THEN I read all the reviews of lousy battery life and wish I had before I bought!

Call quality on 6555 is reasonable, but when I use my AT&T Motorola phone on the business line, I get less call drops and better call quality and so much more battery life.  I've used them side-by-side with different results. This Motorola phone is twice to three times as thick with a bigger battery so I often use it on weekends instead of the 6555 so I don't have to worry about a dead phone.  I charge it up on Friday and it lasts me until Tuesday.  Thus, I have an AT&T phone of different brand to compare and the 6555 is clearly inferior.  I'd get another of the Motorolas but then I'd have twins and not always tell them apart!  My wife has the Nokia 6102i on her line and it puts my 6555 to great shame.  Hers is due for an upgrade so she might get a new one and give me that one. 

80 of 102 (4,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2009 2:29:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
So there is no confusion, in my "day with 6555" story above -- that's a day where I tried to go a day without a charger.  I charged the phone overnight with it turned off, then went about my day and got about ten hours with about 70 minutes of talk time in that ten hour stretch before going dead.  Now, I carry a travel and car charger so I can even plug in at meetings.  I use my bluetooth headset and leave the phone parked in the corner near an outlet.  Then it works okay.  I can get two days out of the bluetooth headset. 
So there is no confusion, in my "day with 6555" story above -- that's a day where I tried to go a day without a charger.  I charged the phone overnight with it turned off, then went about my day and got about ten hours with about 70 minutes of talk time in that ten hour stretch before going dead.  Now, I carry a travel and car charger so I can even plug in at meetings.  I use my bluetooth headset and leave the phone parked in the corner near an outlet.  Then it works okay.  I can get two days out of the bluetooth headset. 

81 of 102 (5,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2009 9:29:08 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by valdemar on Feb 7, 2009 at 9:32:11 PM
My battery never went dead on me during almost 1 year of ownership. When fully charged in the morning I know that with 30-40 min talk time, some browsing and google map usage I will have at least 30% left when I come home in the evening. I do have packet data set to "use when needed" though. Go figure.
Message Edited by valdemar on 02-07-2009 09:32:11 PM
My battery never went dead on me during almost 1 year of ownership. When fully charged in the morning I know that with 30-40 min talk time, some browsing and google map usage I will have at least 30% left when I come home in the evening. I do have packet data set to "use when needed" though. Go figure.
Message Edited by valdemar on 02-07-2009 09:32:11 PM

[ Edited ]
82 of 102 (5,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2009 3:12:48 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by chooch78 on Feb 8, 2009 at 3:15:35 PM

That's light usage compared to some of us who are on for two to three hours over a day and like to use the MP3 player.   So, yes, this phone is great for light usage.  My teenaged kids would burn this phone out in six hours.

I did find a way to make it work and thus will probably keep it because I've invested so much into it ... I have four chargers and thus keep it plugged in 90% of the time and use my Bluetooth headset to talk and I have another headset for the MP3 music.  The headset gives me a full day of talk if I need it.  The 6555 sits on a table within bluetooth range or in the car console.  I must say, though, that the phone can get quite HOT!!   There is enough battery life to tide me over for those times when I may have to carry it away from a power source.  My wife's phone, the Nokia 6102i, uses the same chargers.

I have mine set to "data packets when needed" as well, didn't make that much of a difference.  My pal in the UK tells me that they can turn off the 3G on their 6555's which does really make a difference and they also have firmware updates which we don't have.  I use the Nokia software on my PC to transfer music and the firmware updater does not work with our 6555 and there are no firmware updates.

Message Edited by chooch78 on 02-08-2009 03:15:35 PM

That's light usage compared to some of us who are on for two to three hours over a day and like to use the MP3 player.   So, yes, this phone is great for light usage.  My teenaged kids would burn this phone out in six hours.

I did find a way to make it work and thus will probably keep it because I've invested so much into it ... I have four chargers and thus keep it plugged in 90% of the time and use my Bluetooth headset to talk and I have another headset for the MP3 music.  The headset gives me a full day of talk if I need it.  The 6555 sits on a table within bluetooth range or in the car console.  I must say, though, that the phone can get quite HOT!!   There is enough battery life to tide me over for those times when I may have to carry it away from a power source.  My wife's phone, the Nokia 6102i, uses the same chargers.

I have mine set to "data packets when needed" as well, didn't make that much of a difference.  My pal in the UK tells me that they can turn off the 3G on their 6555's which does really make a difference and they also have firmware updates which we don't have.  I use the Nokia software on my PC to transfer music and the firmware updater does not work with our 6555 and there are no firmware updates.

Message Edited by chooch78 on 02-08-2009 03:15:35 PM

[ Edited ]
83 of 102 (5,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2009 4:11:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
The latest firmware version I could find was 3.43. Anyone here running a later version?
The latest firmware version I could find was 3.43. Anyone here running a later version?

84 of 102 (5,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2009 4:17:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
How do you tell the firmware version?
How do you tell the firmware version?

85 of 102 (5,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2009 4:30:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

To find the version got to Settings, then Phone Settings then Software Updates then Current Softw Details.

Mine says

V03.43

16-11-07

RM-289

(c)Nokia

Be careful -- surfing the web may show later versions -- but they are not for the AT&T Nokia 6555b.  I checked a few days ago, no new updates.

To find the version got to Settings, then Phone Settings then Software Updates then Current Softw Details.

Mine says

V03.43

16-11-07

RM-289

(c)Nokia

Be careful -- surfing the web may show later versions -- but they are not for the AT&T Nokia 6555b.  I checked a few days ago, no new updates.

86 of 102 (5,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2009 4:32:38 PM
(0)
Tutor
Mine is the same as yours.
Mine is the same as yours.

87 of 102 (5,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2009 4:44:43 PM
(0)
Teacher
The crucial part is RM-289 which is the product version for the 6555b. European 6555 is RM-271 which will not work in the US/ATT-specific 6555b. You can also get current f/w version on your phone by keying *#0000#  .
The crucial part is RM-289 which is the product version for the 6555b. European 6555 is RM-271 which will not work in the US/ATT-specific 6555b. You can also get current f/w version on your phone by keying *#0000#  .

88 of 102 (5,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2009 2:21:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

To add insult to injury with all of the other problems, I have been working on trying to install 3 java applications on my 6555 for over a week.  Bottom line for all of you fellow 6555 users is that you can forget adding additional applications using Nokia Suite other than trivial games. 

From the research I've done it appears that the 6555 has either a problem with certificates or AT&T has disabled some features on the 6555.  To simplify, you can purchase or download some applications from websites, including Nokia, that will not run.  These applications require setting communication and/or data access that the 6555 will not let you do in the application settings.

After hours and hours of web browsing and trying other things I finally installed these apps on my wife's Nokia 6126.  I then went into application settings and changed the parameters just fine.  I then launched the apps and they worked fine.

This may or may not be true of loading the applications over the network, but I haven't tested this yet.

To add insult to injury with all of the other problems, I have been working on trying to install 3 java applications on my 6555 for over a week.  Bottom line for all of you fellow 6555 users is that you can forget adding additional applications using Nokia Suite other than trivial games. 

From the research I've done it appears that the 6555 has either a problem with certificates or AT&T has disabled some features on the 6555.  To simplify, you can purchase or download some applications from websites, including Nokia, that will not run.  These applications require setting communication and/or data access that the 6555 will not let you do in the application settings.

After hours and hours of web browsing and trying other things I finally installed these apps on my wife's Nokia 6126.  I then went into application settings and changed the parameters just fine.  I then launched the apps and they worked fine.

This may or may not be true of loading the applications over the network, but I haven't tested this yet.

89 of 102 (4,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2009 9:09:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

I don't use any apps, other than the ones that came with the phone.  I don't use Internet or any other "extra-cost" items. (Well, OK, I have a plan without text messaging, and I text about 3 times a year, but that's it.)

But the 6555 still sucks big time, even as just a basic telephone.  That's why the battery issues and PTT button are my big bugaboos.  The PTT button alone makes the phone a piece of trash.  The tinny sound quality, lack of backlight adjustment, etc. just exacerbate the scam that this phone really is.

It even makes me wish I had my old Motorola back, and that's saying something.

I don't use any apps, other than the ones that came with the phone.  I don't use Internet or any other "extra-cost" items. (Well, OK, I have a plan without text messaging, and I text about 3 times a year, but that's it.)

But the 6555 still sucks big time, even as just a basic telephone.  That's why the battery issues and PTT button are my big bugaboos.  The PTT button alone makes the phone a piece of trash.  The tinny sound quality, lack of backlight adjustment, etc. just exacerbate the scam that this phone really is.

It even makes me wish I had my old Motorola back, and that's saying something.

90 of 102 (4,965 Views)