Nokia 6555 problems

Contributor

Re: Nokia 6555 problems

lol, im on my 3rd replacement and i am wondering the same thing as you, radar. Smiley Mad
Message 31 of 102 (12,413 Views)
Teacher

Some of these batteries are being recalled. See the link
Message 32 of 102 (12,384 Views)
Tutor

This is from the battery replacement statement:

"Nokia has several suppliers for BL-5C batteries that have collectively produced more than 300 million BL-5C batteries. This advisory applies only to the 46 million batteries manufactured by Matsuhita between December 2005 and November 2006. There have been approximately 100 incidents of over heating reported globally. No serious injuries or property damage have been reported."

This sounds like what has happened to my phone. There are times that the phone and battery get so hot I don't want to hold the phone. However, the battery I have isn't part of the recall....  any suggestions?
Message 33 of 102 (12,364 Views)
Contributor

I PURCHASED THE NOKIA 6555 IN FEBRUARY 2008 AND HAVE RETURNED IT TWICE.  THESE PHONES ARE ABSOLUTE JUNK AND I FEEL CHEATED.  AT&T WILL NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS EXCEPT SELL ME ANOTHER PHONE.   I AM SO DISCOURAGED WITH AT&T I WILL RUN FROM THEM AS SOOON AS I CAN GET OUT OF THIS CONTRACT. 
Message 34 of 102 (11,446 Views)
Scholar

To everyone saying that its at&t's fault that the Nokia 6555 stinks , your mostly wrong , the only real thing that at&t can screw up with the phone is the firmware , so lets say that Nokia came out with a new firmware for the Nokia 6555 that helped with the battery issues but At&t decided to not send the firmware out tto the phones.  Then that at&t fault.
I think that most of it is Nokia's fault with that battery , should they do a firmware update to help with the phones battery life yes.  Will they , lets hope so.

I just got a Nokia 6555 and I am too am upset over the battery life.
Message 35 of 102 (11,131 Views)
Teacher

Hi, new customer here with the 6555. I've had this phone now for 10 days. I decided on the 6555 based on the review at Phone Scoop. After reading about some of the problems here I thought about returning it but I really don't a reason to do that. I might be one of the lucky ones that got a good 6555, if thats possible. I've charged it 3 times in 10 days and each charge has lasted longer than the previous charge. Although I am a light user I do leave my phone on all the time. All the phone functions work the way they are supposed to such as text, pic's, voice, media net, blue tooth and pc sync. The only complaints or cons I have are these, 

1. The battery cover does not fit firmly into place and moves a little some times while using it.
2. The back light can not be adjusted to stay on longer, as far as I can tell.
3. The speaker has tiny sound and seems to be straining to get the sound out when ringing.

These are not deal breaker issues for me so I'll keep it unless it goes south on me before my 30 days are up.

Over all, based on a 1-5 scale I'd give it 3.8
Message 36 of 102 (11,070 Views)
Tutor

Dump the phone, now! You'll also find the light going off after 5 seconds will make most functions very frustrating. There's no "light on" button, either. The PTT button will also drive you nuts. Get rid of it.
Message 37 of 102 (11,068 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]
I also have problems with my 6555. It started out just randomly shutting off. Now lately, I guess it has been shutting itself off so much, when I have to turn it on, it freezes. The screens freeze. The small screen on the front freezes white with 12:00 on it and on inside it is white and shows the indicators on top, but unfreezes after 30 seconds or so. Also it shuts off more frequently. It always shuts off on me in the middle of a text and totally drains the battery. It shuts off so much that I need to charge it nightly because the battery can't make two days. I took it into AT&T store and they gave me a new battery, but that did nothing to help, so once I find the number, I'm going to call and get it replaced, since I have the warranty. My friend has a Sony Ericcson W80i , or something of the like, and also had the same problems as me. He got a new battery and did nothing, so he got a replacement and now is working fine. I'm hoping that replacing it fixes the problem, because I'm sick of texting the same message five times in order to get it out, since the first four times it shuts off. Also, when you take the battery cover off, do you see dust on your battery and the bottom of the cover? Maybe the dust is easily able to get in and malfunctions the battery...what do you guys think?

Message Edited by mutigersfan2009 on 06-25-2008 11:49:54 AM
Message 38 of 102 (10,610 Views)
Contributor

I've also had the freezing problem. Right now I'm on my 3rd phone. The second time I went to get the phone replaced, I took the "new" phone out of the box and it was frozen on the first startup with just a blank white screen. The 6555 I have now seems to be working ok, but I'm guessing it's just a matter of time until this one dies too.

Also, because I had to get this thing exchanged so many times I've had my insurance CANCELED!! So if this one gets busted or freezes like the other ones I'm kinda screwed. AT&T and Nokia should really get together and fix this. It'll make the difference in renewing my contract (and my recommendation to my company's contract) based on how they handle this.
Message 39 of 102 (10,563 Views)
Mentor

Poke == one thing you miss:  AT&T holds TREMENDOUS sway over Nokia.  If AT&T chose not to offer this phone based on customer complaints, I doubt Nokia would continue the phone.  When AT&T speaks, Nokia listens - but since AT&T does not listen .... they seem to think t6his phone has a 100% satisfaction rate.  Life is easy when you're deaf.

==========Pokemon writes:

To everyone saying that its at&t's fault that the Nokia 6555 stinks , your mostly wrong , the only real thing that at&t can screw up with the phone is the firmware , so lets say that Nokia came out with a new firmware for the Nokia 6555 that helped with the battery issues but At&t decided to not send the firmware out tto the phones.  Then that at&t fault.
I think that most of it is Nokia's fault with that battery , should they do a firmware update to help with the phones battery life yes.  Will they , lets hope so.

I just got a Nokia 6555 and I am too am upset over the batter
Message 40 of 102 (10,272 Views)
Contributor

Hi there I have a Red Nokia 6555, I am having issues with it and I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problems. The problem that I am having is that it keeps rebooting. I can shut the cover and it will reboot, I can be talking on the phone and it reboots, Just about everything will make it reboot. Also if I turn on the phone, change the battery, or even lose signal strength it takes about a full mintue to get another signal. Anyone having these issues? Thanks in advance

-Dave
Message 41 of 102 (8,195 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]
HOLY CRAP BATMAN - NOKIA ARE YOU READING THESE ???????????

I finally read reviews BEFORE buying a phone, this WAS the one I WAS going to get for my wife. ADIOS NOKIA, you're TOAST with me, going forward it's back to LG or SAMSUNG... Thx for all the warnings posted here, folks. After all, all we got is each other, All we seem to get in this day and time, is LIP SERVICE, not CUSTOMER SERVICE from those that we give our money to. Caveat Emptor!!

{font size decreased}

Message Edited by tashina on 07-19-2008 02:30:43 PM
Message 42 of 102 (8,143 Views)
Contributor

I changed from Verizon to AT&T a month ago, replaced Nokia 2128i phones with 0ne 6555 and two 6085 phones. My 6555 has rebooted once so far, but has operated ok since. I never turn the phones off, but put them on the chargers every night. We don't put very many minutes on them per day, light to moderate users. But the problem we have with all three phones is the low volume as compared to our old phones. We can't hear them ring or messages come in. I have them set to "Outdoor Profile" with the vol. to the max and still isn't loud enough to hear. Is there a fix for this? If we change out the phones, which model will give loud volume?
Message 43 of 102 (8,121 Views)
Master

Maybe others will have comments as to other model possibilities to try should you choose to make a change - or you could visit your local at&t store and try out the display models to see if there are any that seem significantly louder; but if you've had at&t service for a month or more, you are beyond the initial 30 day exchange period. Smiley Sad

So if you like the phones otherwise, my recommendation would be to see if you can find some louder ringtones than what came on it.  Google "ringtones Nokia 6555", etc.  Finding some that are simply louder to begin with may resolve it for you.  And you can download them directly to the phone, or to your pc and then send to your phone via bluetooth, MMS, data cable, etc.

Also, you should turn your phones off for a few moments periodically.  This forces them to establish a new connection with the network, which helps with updates and can help signal issues, etc.  I just make it a practice to turn mine off about once per week, or if I notice it's behaving oddly - slow to send/receive e-mail, etc.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 44 of 102 (8,121 Views)
Contributor

Ok, all very good suggestions. I have tried finding other ringtones, and even made one with max. volume. Still the volume is too low. I guess a replacement is the only answer. Thanks for the help!
Message 45 of 102 (8,131 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.