Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 14, 2007
8:06:42 PM
View profile
Nokia 6555 problems
I have a Nokia 6555 and it periodically shuts off on me and takes forevor to return also when i plug it into the charger it will repeatedly stop and start charging and it never fully charges and won't hold it's charge a lot.  If somebody could let me know how to fix it or how to get it fixed i'd appreciate it thanks.
I have a Nokia 6555 and it periodically shuts off on me and takes forevor to return also when i plug it into the charger it will repeatedly stop and start charging and it never fully charges and won't hold it's charge a lot.  If somebody could let me know how to fix it or how to get it fixed i'd appreciate it thanks.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 30, 2009 5:52:46 PM
(0)
Tutor
Problem solved.  It was the SIM card. . . plopped it into another phone and that phone did the same thing!  This makes me wonder how much exchanging of phones was unnecessary after all!  Thanks for your help!
Accepted Solution

Nokia 6555 problems

101 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(101)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2007 1:10:22 AM
(0)
Master

erikthegreat wrote:

It sounds like it is a battery problem.  You may need a new phone. If you have a spare battery, put that in your phone.  See if your phone returns to normal.  You can also go to your local AT&T store, there they can test out your battery. 

erikthegreat wrote:

It sounds like it is a battery problem.  You may need a new phone. If you have a spare battery, put that in your phone.  See if your phone returns to normal.  You can also go to your local AT&T store, there they can test out your battery. 

Re: Nokia 6555 problems

2 of 102 (25,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2007 9:29:12 AM
(0)
Contributor
i have the exact same problem.
i hate my Nokia 6555
it has horrible battery life and it wont hold a charge and the periodical turning off and the themes crash and its horrible.

i have the exact same problem.
i hate my Nokia 6555
it has horrible battery life and it wont hold a charge and the periodical turning off and the themes crash and its horrible.

3 of 102 (24,963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2007 12:55:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
I had the same issue with my Nokia 6555. After having the phone for 2 weeks the phone would shut down after making a call with the car charger plugged in. After doing that several times, it would shut down after making a call even if the charger was not connected. I took it back to AT&T and they gave me another phone. I haven't had problems with this one shutting down for no reason, but the phone does get warm when I talk on it for more than 5 minutes.

As others have said, the battery life of this phone is horrible. I have to charge it up every other day and I don't use it constantly.

Other than those issues, I love the phone.
I had the same issue with my Nokia 6555. After having the phone for 2 weeks the phone would shut down after making a call with the car charger plugged in. After doing that several times, it would shut down after making a call even if the charger was not connected. I took it back to AT&T and they gave me another phone. I haven't had problems with this one shutting down for no reason, but the phone does get warm when I talk on it for more than 5 minutes.

As others have said, the battery life of this phone is horrible. I have to charge it up every other day and I don't use it constantly.

Other than those issues, I love the phone.

4 of 102 (24,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2007 5:05:00 PM
(0)
Contributor
i have 3 6555's in my house and have the same issue. Did you ever get an answer?
i have 3 6555's in my house and have the same issue. Did you ever get an answer?

5 of 102 (24,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2007 5:06:22 PM
(0)
Contributor
did you get any answers to your issues?

did you get any answers to your issues?

6 of 102 (24,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2007 8:37:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
I didn't get an answer to the issues, just a new phone
I didn't get an answer to the issues, just a new phone

7 of 102 (24,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2007 9:04:39 PM
(0)
Tutor
I also have a 6555. The short story is-- you will learn to hate your phone and you will never be happy with it. Don't ask me how I know.
I also have a 6555. The short story is-- you will learn to hate your phone and you will never be happy with it. Don't ask me how I know.

8 of 102 (24,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2008 9:13:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
My wife has the 6555, and has yet to complain about anything on it (and coming from my wife, that's rare!).  I've even played around with it and found it to be a fairly decent product.  Battery seems to last 18+ hours under various tasks, and charging every night doesn't bother us. 

I'll agree that it's not a phone for everyone, but for the right people it can be great.
My wife has the 6555, and has yet to complain about anything on it (and coming from my wife, that's rare!).  I've even played around with it and found it to be a fairly decent product.  Battery seems to last 18+ hours under various tasks, and charging every night doesn't bother us. 

I'll agree that it's not a phone for everyone, but for the right people it can be great.

9 of 102 (24,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2008 4:48:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
Smiley MadI just switched to ATT from Nextel. I purchased the Nokia 6555 for my daughter on Nov 25th. We did not activate it until Dec 20th. Her Nokia has done the same thing within a week of having it. When we brought it back to ATT after reading others problems on this forum. They advised I could not change phones because I had purchased it over 30 days prior. They gave me a new battery and that did not help it still shuts down. If you are considering a Nokia 6555, DON'T buy it. If ATT is reading this you should do something to fix it. because of the contract you make us sign, I am stuck but I will  publicly let everyone I know who is considering switching phone companies about my experience. If Nokia is reading this you should consider a recall and fix your issues!!
Smiley MadI just switched to ATT from Nextel. I purchased the Nokia 6555 for my daughter on Nov 25th. We did not activate it until Dec 20th. Her Nokia has done the same thing within a week of having it. When we brought it back to ATT after reading others problems on this forum. They advised I could not change phones because I had purchased it over 30 days prior. They gave me a new battery and that did not help it still shuts down. If you are considering a Nokia 6555, DON'T buy it. If ATT is reading this you should do something to fix it. because of the contract you make us sign, I am stuck but I will  publicly let everyone I know who is considering switching phone companies about my experience. If Nokia is reading this you should consider a recall and fix your issues!!

10 of 102 (24,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2008 11:05:33 PM
(0)
Contributor
With my 6555 I also have the battery issues but the biggest problem that I have is the poor reception that I get in my apartment.  When my fiance is here she has full bars and she is with another carrier.  A friend that has AT&T was here with his iPhone and he had great reception, I have none.  I hate it!
With my 6555 I also have the battery issues but the biggest problem that I have is the poor reception that I get in my apartment.  When my fiance is here she has full bars and she is with another carrier.  A friend that has AT&T was here with his iPhone and he had great reception, I have none.  I hate it!

11 of 102 (15,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2008 4:14:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
Not to mention the TERRIBLE DESIGN of the PTT button and the backlight which goes off after about 5 seconds, leaving you with a black screen and no way to turn it on cleanly. Battery aside, these flaws could be fixed easily through software...but haven't been. Shame on AT&T & Nokia.
Not to mention the TERRIBLE DESIGN of the PTT button and the backlight which goes off after about 5 seconds, leaving you with a black screen and no way to turn it on cleanly. Battery aside, these flaws could be fixed easily through software...but haven't been. Shame on AT&T & Nokia.

12 of 102 (15,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2008 1:41:01 PM
(0)
Contributor
What did you do about your problem with the battery? I haven't had this phone for two weeks yet and have to charge my battery every day so far since I have had it. What is a better phone to get from AT&T. Help someone!!!
What did you do about your problem with the battery? I haven't had this phone for two weeks yet and have to charge my battery every day so far since I have had it. What is a better phone to get from AT&T. Help someone!!!

13 of 102 (15,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2008 9:54:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
Have you all noticed that AT&T and Nokia ARE NOT LISTENING? They screwed up this phone, and while I've been scanning all the forums I can find regarding the battery, backlight, and PTT button, there is not a single response, anywhere, from Nokia or AT&T. I assume they stopped selling the phone and plan no support. Too bad there's no call for a class-action suit. This is horrible customer service.
Have you all noticed that AT&T and Nokia ARE NOT LISTENING? They screwed up this phone, and while I've been scanning all the forums I can find regarding the battery, backlight, and PTT button, there is not a single response, anywhere, from Nokia or AT&T. I assume they stopped selling the phone and plan no support. Too bad there's no call for a class-action suit. This is horrible customer service.

14 of 102 (15,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2008 1:16:23 PM
(0)
Mentor

Mimetic wrote:

Nokia & AT&T reps, even if they do read this, usually do not respond, unfortunately.

I do apologize that many of you have had issues with your phone. I really don't have many complaints for this phone and I've had it for about a month and a half now. Every phone has it's little flaws that are difficult to get around. And those issues - the battery, backlight, and PTT - really aren't big enough to do any sort of recall or class-action suit. They're honestly inconveniences, not big issues.

Mimetic wrote:

Nokia & AT&T reps, even if they do read this, usually do not respond, unfortunately.

I do apologize that many of you have had issues with your phone. I really don't have many complaints for this phone and I've had it for about a month and a half now. Every phone has it's little flaws that are difficult to get around. And those issues - the battery, backlight, and PTT - really aren't big enough to do any sort of recall or class-action suit. They're honestly inconveniences, not big issues.

15 of 102 (15,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2008 6:47:31 PM
(0)
Contributor
After, I got my Nokia 6555. I was looking around in the forums and started reading what everyone was saying about this phone.  I will say I did not like what I was reading.  It had me worried.  But since I have had my phone I have been very happy with it.

So I want to put my two cents in on this phone.  I will admit when I first got it, I used it like crazy playing around with all the features and stuff.  For the first 4 days, I had to charge it every two nights.  But now, I charge it every 4 and a half to 5 days.  I did turn off the constant running of the 3G/Internet.  It only turns on when I want to actually access it.  I am not big on being on the phone all the time so yes I haven't talked much on it.  I do text message and access the weather channel everyday.  I turn my phone off each night and turn it back on in the morning.

My opinion, people like me who hardly ever uses a phone or when you do your conversations are 5 minutes or less.  The battery life span is not a problem.  If you are a big phone person and must be on it all the time, using the web none stop, and using it as a MP3 player; then yes you will have to charge your phone every two nights if not every night.  And I don't use the mp3 feature because I have an iPod.  So another reason my battery last a while.

So there it is.  That is my input on it.  I am happy customer with my phone.
After, I got my Nokia 6555. I was looking around in the forums and started reading what everyone was saying about this phone.  I will say I did not like what I was reading.  It had me worried.  But since I have had my phone I have been very happy with it.

So I want to put my two cents in on this phone.  I will admit when I first got it, I used it like crazy playing around with all the features and stuff.  For the first 4 days, I had to charge it every two nights.  But now, I charge it every 4 and a half to 5 days.  I did turn off the constant running of the 3G/Internet.  It only turns on when I want to actually access it.  I am not big on being on the phone all the time so yes I haven't talked much on it.  I do text message and access the weather channel everyday.  I turn my phone off each night and turn it back on in the morning.

My opinion, people like me who hardly ever uses a phone or when you do your conversations are 5 minutes or less.  The battery life span is not a problem.  If you are a big phone person and must be on it all the time, using the web none stop, and using it as a MP3 player; then yes you will have to charge your phone every two nights if not every night.  And I don't use the mp3 feature because I have an iPod.  So another reason my battery last a while.

So there it is.  That is my input on it.  I am happy customer with my phone.

16 of 102 (15,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2008 4:54:09 AM
(0)
Contributor
3G/Internet how did you turn it off

3G/Internet how did you turn it off

17 of 102 (15,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2008 5:09:57 AM
(0)
Contributor
Settings - Connectivity - Packet Data - Packet Data Conn. - When Needed.

This keeps it from running all the time.  It will only turn on when you access the 3G/Internet/CV
Settings - Connectivity - Packet Data - Packet Data Conn. - When Needed.

This keeps it from running all the time.  It will only turn on when you access the 3G/Internet/CV

18 of 102 (15,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2008 11:10:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Jan 29, 2008 at 11:12:17 AM
This does turn off GPRS access so that the phone only accesses the GPRS network when needed (indeed a battery saving measure).  However, GPRS ( "General Packet Radio Service" ) is not 3G.  Unfortunately, the ability to turn off 3G access is typically one of the things that is eliminated with at&t's firmware.

Message Edited by hme83 on 01-29-2008 01:12:17 PM
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

This does turn off GPRS access so that the phone only accesses the GPRS network when needed (indeed a battery saving measure).  However, GPRS ( "General Packet Radio Service" ) is not 3G.  Unfortunately, the ability to turn off 3G access is typically one of the things that is eliminated with at&t's firmware.

Message Edited by hme83 on 01-29-2008 01:12:17 PM
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
19 of 102 (14,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2008 7:00:51 AM
(0)
Tutor
my nokia 6555 i just recieved mine in december after christmas and my phone just wasnt getting my phone calls but i could make them so i took it to the corporate store and they gave me a new sim card and now my keypad won't unlock and i can't get to anything on my phone i can't make a phone call and im really tired of cingular sending me these stupid replacement phones.
my nokia 6555 i just recieved mine in december after christmas and my phone just wasnt getting my phone calls but i could make them so i took it to the corporate store and they gave me a new sim card and now my keypad won't unlock and i can't get to anything on my phone i can't make a phone call and im really tired of cingular sending me these stupid replacement phones.

20 of 102 (14,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2008 7:04:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Is it asking for a code when you try to use your keypad?  If so and you've never changed the security code, try 12345 - that is the typical Nokia factory default.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

Is it asking for a code when you try to use your keypad?  If so and you've never changed the security code, try 12345 - that is the typical Nokia factory default.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

21 of 102 (12,937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2008 7:13:31 AM
(0)
Tutor
it doesnt ask, i cant get passed the thing where it ask me to press the unlock key and then the * key...when i press the unlock key i cant press the * key because the keypad is still locked
it doesnt ask, i cant get passed the thing where it ask me to press the unlock key and then the * key...when i press the unlock key i cant press the * key because the keypad is still locked

22 of 102 (12,937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2008 7:32:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
You have to press them in pretty rapid succession.  You are probably allowing too much time after pressing "unlock" before you press "*" - try doing it very quickly.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

You have to press them in pretty rapid succession.  You are probably allowing too much time after pressing "unlock" before you press "*" - try doing it very quickly.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

23 of 102 (12,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2008 7:41:50 AM
(0)
Tutor
no i cant press any button it won't allow me before it would tell me after i pressed the unlock button to press the * key but its not doing that the only way i can get to the thing where it says "press the unlock key then press enter" is if i press the camera button...and its the only button that actually responds to me touching it other than the red "END" key
no i cant press any button it won't allow me before it would tell me after i pressed the unlock button to press the * key but its not doing that the only way i can get to the thing where it says "press the unlock key then press enter" is if i press the camera button...and its the only button that actually responds to me touching it other than the red "END" key

24 of 102 (12,934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2008 10:36:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
In that case, I would try taking the battery out (with the phone powered on) - leave it out for a little while, then reassemble the phone, power it back up and see if that solves the problem.  A factory reset could help as well, but you won't be able to do one if you can't use the phone's keypad.

Other than that - I would see about an exchange.  Since you are beyond the initial 30 day return period, you can contact at&t's warranty department at 1-800-801-1101.  Another option would be to contact Nokia directly if you don't want a refurb in exchange.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

In that case, I would try taking the battery out (with the phone powered on) - leave it out for a little while, then reassemble the phone, power it back up and see if that solves the problem.  A factory reset could help as well, but you won't be able to do one if you can't use the phone's keypad.

Other than that - I would see about an exchange.  Since you are beyond the initial 30 day return period, you can contact at&t's warranty department at 1-800-801-1101.  Another option would be to contact Nokia directly if you don't want a refurb in exchange.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

25 of 102 (12,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2008 7:08:14 AM
(0)
Tutor
how long should i leave the battery out for and what number would I contact Nokia at? and I think the girl at the Cingular Corporate store tried that and thats ow my phone got like this anyway...so I dont think the factory reset will work. and the people from CIngular told the girl that they couldnt give me a replacement phone and they were the ones who messed my phone up...and I'm away at school with out a phone this is really ridiculous this my only way of communication with my parents.
how long should i leave the battery out for and what number would I contact Nokia at? and I think the girl at the Cingular Corporate store tried that and thats ow my phone got like this anyway...so I dont think the factory reset will work. and the people from CIngular told the girl that they couldnt give me a replacement phone and they were the ones who messed my phone up...and I'm away at school with out a phone this is really ridiculous this my only way of communication with my parents.

26 of 102 (12,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2008 7:24:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
You wouldn't need to leave the battery out for a long while - 15 minutes ought to do it.  It's similar to rebooting your computer. Smiley Happy

Here is the web page link for Nokia warranty service if you'd prefer to go that route.  Nokia Warranty
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

You wouldn't need to leave the battery out for a long while - 15 minutes ought to do it.  It's similar to rebooting your computer. Smiley Happy

Here is the web page link for Nokia warranty service if you'd prefer to go that route.  Nokia Warranty
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

27 of 102 (12,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 6:30:26 PM
(0)
Contributor
i have the exact same problem as you, except i am on my 3rd replacement of my 6555 currently. so i am verry mad at this.Smiley Mad
i have the exact same problem as you, except i am on my 3rd replacement of my 6555 currently. so i am verry mad at this.Smiley Mad

28 of 102 (12,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 6:31:02 PM
(0)
Contributor
the 6555 stinks, im on my third replacement with a new battery every time.... i need help
the 6555 stinks, im on my third replacement with a new battery every time.... i need help

29 of 102 (12,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2008 9:29:34 AM
(0)
Tutor
I got my first 6555 in October. Within 2 weeks I got a replacement phone. I just received another replacement 6555 last week and it seems more stable, but the battery life is still poor and unacceptable. Has anyone been able to get another phone beside the 6555 as a replacement? I am getting tired of getting more 6555 replacement phones.
I got my first 6555 in October. Within 2 weeks I got a replacement phone. I just received another replacement 6555 last week and it seems more stable, but the battery life is still poor and unacceptable. Has anyone been able to get another phone beside the 6555 as a replacement? I am getting tired of getting more 6555 replacement phones.

30 of 102 (12,724 Views)