For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
erikthegreat's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 15th, 2007 4:06 AM

Closed

Nokia 6555 problems

I have a Nokia 6555 and it periodically shuts off on me and takes forevor to return also when i plug it into the charger it will repeatedly stop and start charging and it never fully charges and won't hold it's charge a lot.  If somebody could let me know how to fix it or how to get it fixed i'd appreciate it thanks.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

15 years ago

@beasleym wrote:

To add insult to injury with all of the other problems, I have been working on trying to install 3 java applications on my 6555 for over a week.  Bottom line for all of you fellow 6555 users is that you can forget adding additional applications using Nokia Suite other than trivial games. 

Can you be more specific as to what applications you could not install? I have no problems installing/running Google Maps, Opera Mini, eBuddy to name a few.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

+1 for SDO's solution.  It worked for me.  Talking, camera use and texting for three days  on a single charge now....thanks SDO.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

I have been so very disappointed both with AT&T Customer Service and the 6555b phone!  Due to a malfunction on our last phone (Razor), we were relegated to this refurbished phone.  Nothing but problems since!  The phone has the habit of  powering off mid-conversation.  Now it won't connect to any network other than AT&T for outbound calls and won't ring when calls come in.  The guy at the local AT&T retailer said it's a software problem that can't be fixed.  Is that true?  Of course, we're just 10 days out of the warranty period.  Any ideas how to get this phone to limp along for another couple of weeks?  

Thanks for any info or ideas you can share.   

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

I would try shimming the battery with a small piece of paper or cardboard - quite a few users have noted this helps as the battery apparently slips around, losing contact and causes the random shutdowns and other odd behavior.

Here is some info. re: shimming the battery -

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=nokia&message.id=52798&query.id=1473729#M52798

If that doesn't help, the other thing I would do (if you haven't already done so) is try a different SIM in the phone - if you have a friend or family member with at&t service just swap out your SIMs to see if the behavior follows the SIM or stays with your phone.  If you don't have access to another SIM, visit your local Corporate at&t store, explain the problems you are having and request a new SIM as it's possible your SIM has gone bad.

Message Edited by hme83 on 03-29-2009 09:35:28 AM

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

Yep, I did read about the shim idea later when I searched on 6555 rather than 6555b.  Thanks.  We'll try switching out the SIM card, too.

When the guy is talking about a problem with the software, is he meaning the SIM card? 

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

No, he is actually meaning the phone's firmware (operating system).  Typically phones with at&t's firmware tend to be a little less stable than phones that have the manufacturer's generic "intended" firmware (i.e. non-branded).  It can result in random resets (shut down), etc. - but with the problems you are also having re: phone calls, I'd suspect your issues have more to do with the battery not maintaining contact, or possibly a bad SIM. 🙂

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

Glad to help. 🙂  Your local Corporate at&t store should replace your faulty SIM at no charge if you haven't already gotten a new one.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

My Nokia 6555, which I have had since July 2008, has gradually over the past 2 months become problematic with the same issues previously listed (turning itself off and the volume being very low), but I put up with it. However, two days ago I was talking on this phone for about 20 minutes.  The phone got very hot.  The next day it gave me no problem until late in the day when it would no longer turn on. Today, I took it to the AT&T store where the sales agent looked at it.  He was amazed when he opened it up and saw the battery.  The battery was warped and bent.  It had overheated during the aforementioned conversation.  In turn, the heat and shape of the hot battery had pushed the navigation key out of the keyboard frame just enough to put pressure on the display.  This caused the liquid crystal to leak and now I have no phone. None of this was my fault.  The agent at the store checked my phone.  He could readily see that there are no signs of abuse on this phone.  I have always kept it in its protective leather case.  It has its own pocket in my purse where it receives no pressure from anything else.  When I talked to the service rep at AT&T, I was told that the phone was damaged and wouldn't be replaced, per their warranty coverage. The damage did NOT come from me, it came from the Nokia battery. Therefore, I am contacting Nokia about the battery. As a matter of fact, I believe that I, and/or my children, was in danger of some kind of injury from this battery. I thank God that it didn't happen.  However, I do believe that Nokia should replace my phone with a similar phone since the damage was obviously due to a defective battery.  This has been my 5th Nokia phone and I hope that it doesn't have to be my last.  Other people need to be warned about how dangerous batteries can be even during simple conversations. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

I also wish I had come across this forum before getting this phone. Truly is the biggest piece of junk ever and by far the worst cell phone I've ever had and I've had several. Comical how many of my major issues began 1 week after warranty. The battery is a pain in the butt, it literally always has to be plugged in and I barely use mine. But the main problem was one day the email on my phone just up and stopped working. I get application error msg. saying Mobile IM_Email running. Nothing to display. When I click on details it says Null pointer java/lang/NullPointer Exception??? I was passed around to way too many people, each person claiming they had no idea what the problem was. Even the Supervisor of the Tech. dept. couldn't figure it out. They just chalked it up to a software problem that they couldn't fix. Great, I used my email every day!! I HATE HATE this phone and can't wait to get rid of it. Due for a partial upgrade in 2 months, I just don't know if i can wait that long. May check out ebay as some of you have done.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I just registered here to specifically thank SDO for the battery shimming idea.  My phone was shutting off during texting, and it was killing me!! I would type a nice long message and BAM, phone shuts off.  So infuriating!!!! Anyway, it hasn't shut off since I shimmed the battery.  HUGE THANKS SDO!!!! HUGE!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.