Troubleshoot your device issues
erikthegreat's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 15th, 2007 4:06 AM

Closed

Nokia 6555 problems

I have a Nokia 6555 and it periodically shuts off on me and takes forevor to return also when i plug it into the charger it will repeatedly stop and start charging and it never fully charges and won't hold it's charge a lot.  If somebody could let me know how to fix it or how to get it fixed i'd appreciate it thanks.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

15 years ago

So there is no confusion, in my "day with 6555" story above -- that's a day where I tried to go a day without a charger.  I charged the phone overnight with it turned off, then went about my day and got about ten hours with about 70 minutes of talk time in that ten hour stretch before going dead.  Now, I carry a travel and car charger so I can even plug in at meetings.  I use my bluetooth headset and leave the phone parked in the corner near an outlet.  Then it works okay.  I can get two days out of the bluetooth headset. 

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

15 years ago

My battery never went dead on me during almost 1 year of ownership. When fully charged in the morning I know that with 30-40 min talk time, some browsing and google map usage I will have at least 30% left when I come home in the evening. I do have packet data set to "use when needed" though. Go figure.
Message Edited by valdemar on 02-07-2009 09:32:11 PM

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

15 years ago

That's light usage compared to some of us who are on for two to three hours over a day and like to use the MP3 player.   So, yes, this phone is great for light usage.  My teenaged kids would burn this phone out in six hours.

I did find a way to make it work and thus will probably keep it because I've invested so much into it ... I have four chargers and thus keep it plugged in 90% of the time and use my Bluetooth headset to talk and I have another headset for the MP3 music.  The headset gives me a full day of talk if I need it.  The 6555 sits on a table within bluetooth range or in the car console.  I must say, though, that the phone can get quite HOT!!   There is enough battery life to tide me over for those times when I may have to carry it away from a power source.  My wife's phone, the Nokia 6102i, uses the same chargers.

I have mine set to "data packets when needed" as well, didn't make that much of a difference.  My pal in the UK tells me that they can turn off the 3G on their 6555's which does really make a difference and they also have firmware updates which we don't have.  I use the Nokia software on my PC to transfer music and the firmware updater does not work with our 6555 and there are no firmware updates.

Message Edited by chooch78 on 02-08-2009 03:15:35 PM

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

15 years ago

The latest firmware version I could find was 3.43. Anyone here running a later version?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

How do you tell the firmware version?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

15 years ago

To find the version got to Settings, then Phone Settings then Software Updates then Current Softw Details.

Mine says

V03.43

16-11-07

RM-289

(c)Nokia

Be careful -- surfing the web may show later versions -- but they are not for the AT&T Nokia 6555b.  I checked a few days ago, no new updates.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

Mine is the same as yours.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

15 years ago

The crucial part is RM-289 which is the product version for the 6555b. European 6555 is RM-271 which will not work in the US/ATT-specific 6555b. You can also get current f/w version on your phone by keying *#0000#  .

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

To add insult to injury with all of the other problems, I have been working on trying to install 3 java applications on my 6555 for over a week.  Bottom line for all of you fellow 6555 users is that you can forget adding additional applications using Nokia Suite other than trivial games. 

From the research I've done it appears that the 6555 has either a problem with certificates or AT&T has disabled some features on the 6555.  To simplify, you can purchase or download some applications from websites, including Nokia, that will not run.  These applications require setting communication and/or data access that the 6555 will not let you do in the application settings.

After hours and hours of web browsing and trying other things I finally installed these apps on my wife's Nokia 6126.  I then went into application settings and changed the parameters just fine.  I then launched the apps and they worked fine.

This may or may not be true of loading the applications over the network, but I haven't tested this yet.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

I don't use any apps, other than the ones that came with the phone.  I don't use Internet or any other "extra-cost" items. (Well, OK, I have a plan without text messaging, and I text about 3 times a year, but that's it.)

But the 6555 still sucks big time, even as just a basic telephone.  That's why the battery issues and PTT button are my big bugaboos.  The PTT button alone makes the phone a piece of trash.  The tinny sound quality, lack of backlight adjustment, etc. just exacerbate the scam that this phone really is.

It even makes me wish I had my old Motorola back, and that's saying something.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.