For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
MrCheapo's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, April 9th, 2011 10:34 PM

Nokia 6085h - is there any way to get one unlocked?

Is there any way at all to get a Nokia 6085h unlocked?

I recently decided to ditch the V-word and go with a GSM prepaid phone.  A regular AT&T wireless customer generously donated her old phone, an AT&T-branded Nokia 6085h.

I want to use this 6085 with a different,soon-to-be-acquired-by-AT&T carrier's prepaid service.  I already bought the SIM card.  The problem is, I can't use it.  When I put in my (non-AT&T) SIM in the Nokia 6085h, it says "Phone Restricted."

Naturally, I have no idea what the unlock code would be.  I don't want to guess or "try" unknown codes, since I would only have 3-5 tries before bricking the phone.

I called AT&T customer service today, but they said they didn't have the unlock code for this phone.  I don't understand how that's possible, given the phone was sold by AT&T in the first place.

I also looked online.  The free unlocking sites don't cover this model.  The pay unlocking sites either can't do it at all, or want way too much.  For less than the $50 they charge, I could simply buy a different phone.

A local unlock shop said they couldn't do it either.

Help?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Finally got the unlock code today.  It worked!  So - yes, you definitely CAN unlock a Nokia 6085h, provided you can get the original owner to submit an unlock request to AT&T.

Very cool of AT&T to cooperate like this.  Verizon never unlocks anything for anyone, as far as I know.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

I found an answer to my own question.  It's "YES," if...

The "if" is that you must have the original owner of the phone contact AT&T to request an unlock.  It appears that AT&T's "unlock" computer will not give out the code to anyone but the original purchaser of the phone.  That is why the AT&T agent I spoke with, though willing to help, was unable to give me the unlock code.

This is an entirely understandable security measure.  Were I an AT&T customer, I wouldn't want them giving out the unlock code to just any Thomas, Richard, or Harold.

The original purchaser of the Nokia 6085h contacted AT&T on my behalf in the meantime, and has relayed to me that AT&T will send her the unlock code by April 18th.

This, then is the answer: The *original purchaser* of the phone must request the unlock, or AT&T can't help you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I was a customer for years,after loosing job I had to down size and went to a go phone with AT&T. Nokia 6085h.Things got worse so I gave

up the cell phone and cancled.Now I have the opportunity to get a sim card for $15.00 that will work with the 6085h.(I kept the phone) I called AT&T and asked for the unlock code.I am the origanal owner.They got back to me and said I had to have completed 6mos. of service.I had completed more than 6mos.Is there another way of getting code?I'm really bumed,miss my cell phone.

Sincerely,

Michael

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.