Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 9, 2011
3:34:01 PM
Nokia 6085h - is there any way to get one unlocked?

Is there any way at all to get a Nokia 6085h unlocked?

I recently decided to ditch the V-word and go with a GSM prepaid phone.  A regular AT&T wireless customer generously donated her old phone, an AT&T-branded Nokia 6085h.

I want to use this 6085 with a different,soon-to-be-acquired-by-AT&T carrier's prepaid service.  I already bought the SIM card.  The problem is, I can't use it.  When I put in my (non-AT&T) SIM in the Nokia 6085h, it says "Phone Restricted."

Naturally, I have no idea what the unlock code would be.  I don't want to guess or "try" unknown codes, since I would only have 3-5 tries before bricking the phone.

I called AT&T customer service today, but they said they didn't have the unlock code for this phone.  I don't understand how that's possible, given the phone was sold by AT&T in the first place.

I also looked online.  The free unlocking sites don't cover this model.  The pay unlocking sites either can't do it at all, or want way too much.  For less than the $50 they charge, I could simply buy a different phone.

A local unlock shop said they couldn't do it either.

Help?

Is there any way at all to get a Nokia 6085h unlocked?

I recently decided to ditch the V-word and go with a GSM prepaid phone.  A regular AT&T wireless customer generously donated her old phone, an AT&T-branded Nokia 6085h.

I want to use this 6085 with a different,soon-to-be-acquired-by-AT&T carrier's prepaid service.  I already bought the SIM card.  The problem is, I can't use it.  When I put in my (non-AT&T) SIM in the Nokia 6085h, it says "Phone Restricted."

Naturally, I have no idea what the unlock code would be.  I don't want to guess or "try" unknown codes, since I would only have 3-5 tries before bricking the phone.

I called AT&T customer service today, but they said they didn't have the unlock code for this phone.  I don't understand how that's possible, given the phone was sold by AT&T in the first place.

I also looked online.  The free unlocking sites don't cover this model.  The pay unlocking sites either can't do it at all, or want way too much.  For less than the $50 they charge, I could simply buy a different phone.

A local unlock shop said they couldn't do it either.

Help?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 13, 2011 6:01:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Finally got the unlock code today.  It worked!  So - yes, you definitely CAN unlock a Nokia 6085h, provided you can get the original owner to submit an unlock request to AT&T.

Very cool of AT&T to cooperate like this.  Verizon never unlocks anything for anyone, as far as I know.

Accepted Solution

Nokia 6085h - is there any way to get one unlocked?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2011 6:52:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

I found an answer to my own question.  It's "YES," if...

The "if" is that you must have the original owner of the phone contact AT&T to request an unlock.  It appears that AT&T's "unlock" computer will not give out the code to anyone but the original purchaser of the phone.  That is why the AT&T agent I spoke with, though willing to help, was unable to give me the unlock code.

This is an entirely understandable security measure.  Were I an AT&T customer, I wouldn't want them giving out the unlock code to just any Thomas, Richard, or Harold.

The original purchaser of the Nokia 6085h contacted AT&T on my behalf in the meantime, and has relayed to me that AT&T will send her the unlock code by April 18th.

This, then is the answer: The *original purchaser* of the phone must request the unlock, or AT&T can't help you.

I found an answer to my own question.  It's "YES," if...

The "if" is that you must have the original owner of the phone contact AT&T to request an unlock.  It appears that AT&T's "unlock" computer will not give out the code to anyone but the original purchaser of the phone.  That is why the AT&T agent I spoke with, though willing to help, was unable to give me the unlock code.

This is an entirely understandable security measure.  Were I an AT&T customer, I wouldn't want them giving out the unlock code to just any Thomas, Richard, or Harold.

The original purchaser of the Nokia 6085h contacted AT&T on my behalf in the meantime, and has relayed to me that AT&T will send her the unlock code by April 18th.

This, then is the answer: The *original purchaser* of the phone must request the unlock, or AT&T can't help you.

Re: Nokia 6085h - is there any way to get one unlocked?

2 of 4 (4,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 13, 2011 6:01:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Finally got the unlock code today.  It worked!  So - yes, you definitely CAN unlock a Nokia 6085h, provided you can get the original owner to submit an unlock request to AT&T.

Very cool of AT&T to cooperate like this.  Verizon never unlocks anything for anyone, as far as I know.

3 of 4 (4,749 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2012 3:57:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

I was a customer for years,after loosing job I had to down size and went to a go phone with AT&T. Nokia 6085h.Things got worse so I gave

up the cell phone and cancled.Now I have the opportunity to get a sim card for $15.00 that will work with the 6085h.(I kept the phone) I called AT&T and asked for the unlock code.I am the origanal owner.They got back to me and said I had to have completed 6mos. of service.I had completed more than 6mos.Is there another way of getting code?I'm really bumed,miss my cell phone.

Sincerely,

Michael

I was a customer for years,after loosing job I had to down size and went to a go phone with AT&T. Nokia 6085h.Things got worse so I gave

up the cell phone and cancled.Now I have the opportunity to get a sim card for $15.00 that will work with the 6085h.(I kept the phone) I called AT&T and asked for the unlock code.I am the origanal owner.They got back to me and said I had to have completed 6mos. of service.I had completed more than 6mos.Is there another way of getting code?I'm really bumed,miss my cell phone.

Sincerely,

Michael

4 of 4 (3,279 Views)