Troubleshoot your device issues
TheCodeWrangler's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 9:02 PM

No quality feature phones available - Will an out-of-country smartphone trigger data service?

My old feature phone is dying (as are its backups) so it is necessary for me to get something to replace it. Unfortunately, the feature phones offered at present are really underwhelming me in both selection and reviews. It seems that after the iPhone was introduced all serious phone development shifted away from feature phones to smartphones. I'm beginning to feel that even low-end smartphones are beginning to surpass currently offered feature phones in quality. I won't buy a subsidized smartphone, however, because I don't need to be saddled with a data plan.

I currently have data blocking on my account in order to avoid even accidental data use (the last few phones I had included at least one button that would attempt to connect data for something).

I know that AT&T requires data plans for smartphones they sell and will automatically add it even for users who pay full price for their phones. However, their use of the word "designated" in describing such phones is somewhat vague.

If I were to locate a low-end smartphone that is not even available in the U.S. (such as the Nokia Lumia 620), would AT&T be able to determine that it runs Windows Phone 8 and force a data plan?

Again, the sole reason I am even considering this option is because I don't see any indication that phone makers are still putting effort into feature phones.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Yes, most likely the system will detect that the Nokia 620 is a smartphone, and add a data plan to it.  It may take a day, a week, a month or a year, but it probably will detect it eventually.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

I agree...I just took notice to someone posting from a "generic" Windows Mobile device. Att will eventually add an approriate data plan.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

A shame. As of right now, the only feature phones are a pair of ruggedized varieties that get high marks only for being rugged (they're iffy on the phone department), an LG that is poorly reviewed, a Pantech (I don't even want to go there) and a Samsung that is so new that no one has even reviewed it, yet. (I'm not comfortable spending $60 to upgrade to an unreviewed phone)

Meanwhile, I can get a NOS (new old stock) Nokia on eBay for a comparable cost to the total outlay on the Samsung and at least know I'm getting a decent phone.

Fortunately, it won't come to that. A relative who switched to T-Mobile heard about my problem so I just have a few more days and it's taken care of.

AT&T wouldn't lose anything for allowing unsubsidized smartphones on the network to data blocked accounts. They rake in the voice fees every month and I wouldn't have any surprise data charges. I'm a very long time customer (over ten years) and no longer under contract but would bail to a prepaid or T-Mobile's Value plan in order to use a decent phone with the plan I actually need. At this pooint, it looks like whenever my replacement phone stops working.

Mentor

• 

91 Messages

11 years ago

I just got a Samsung Rugby III flip phone and I really like it.  It is a feature phone and it is pretty durable.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@TheCodeWrangler wrote:

A shame. As of right now, the only feature phones are a pair of ruggedized varieties that get high marks only for being rugged (they're iffy on the phone department), an LG that is poorly reviewed, a Pantech (I don't even want to go there) and a Samsung that is so new that no one has even reviewed it, yet. (I'm not comfortable spending $60 to upgrade to an unreviewed phone)

Meanwhile, I can get a NOS (new old stock) Nokia on eBay for a comparable cost to the total outlay on the Samsung and at least know I'm getting a decent phone.

Fortunately, it won't come to that. A relative who switched to T-Mobile heard about my problem so I just have a few more days and it's taken care of.

AT&T wouldn't lose anything for allowing unsubsidized smartphones on the network to data blocked accounts. They rake in the voice fees every month and I wouldn't have any surprise data charges. I'm a very long time customer (over ten years) and no longer under contract but would bail to a prepaid or T-Mobile's Value plan in order to use a decent phone with the plan I actually need. At this pooint, it looks like whenever my replacement phone stops working.

There are plenty of websites that you can find to read reviews on phones...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have contacted the FCC once regarding this. ATT called me, but I did not get a satisfied answer. I am going to contact FCC again. More people need to contact them. ATT has a monopoly going???? They are forcing people to a data plan by not providing a good feature phone with a full size keyboard for texting.  ATT forced Southwester Bell to have to be split because they were a monopoly.  Hello! ATT is purchasing as much as they can and certainly not giveing the service I had with Southwestern Bell years ago.  On a land line one has the choice of the expense of call waiting, etc.  ATT could and should do the same with data plans. They do not becuase they have made the wireless and people would still use wireless or I think they could. I am sure there is a way for them to block that also If foreign countries can use the smartphones and block data from their users why can't the USA.

***  This is redicious as to how we are being forced to do things in order to have a decent phone.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

Dcookie wrote:

There are plenty of websites that you can find to read reviews on phones...

It has been several months since that phone was added and there are still no reviews on AT&T. The Amazon reviews are a mixed bag. Not as bad as the other feature phones AT&T offers but not good enough that I'd be willing to pay so much for it. Especially since I can get a NOS Nokia for the same price.

I am seriously considering switching to T-Mobile's Value plan or a prepaid carrier over this issue. I get a huge corporate discount from AT&T but that only makes it competitively priced if I skip the data plan.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.