Troubleshoot your device issues
Robert898's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, November 6th, 2013 1:15 AM

Nexus 5 Data Plan

Hi, I have just bought a Nexus 5 from google play store. I was wondering if I require a data plan with this phone. Currently I have a Samsung Solstice, and am with a family plan. My phone personally doesn't have data. So will I need to add data plan to use the Nexus 5?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Robert898 wrote:

Hi, I have just bought a Nexus 5 from google play store. I was wondering if I require a data plan with this phone. Currently I have a Samsung Solstice, and am with a family plan. My phone personally doesn't have data. So will I need to add data plan to use the Nexus 5?

smartphone = data plan, if you don;t add it then the carrier will when they detect it

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello Robert,

Like wingrider pointed out, Google Nexus 5 is a Smartphone, and all smartphones require a data plan. You can contact AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 to find out your options.

Dmitriy

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Why is this a requirement?

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@danwenz wrote:

Why is this a requirement?

Most carriers require mandatory data plans because most customers purchase smartphones at the subsidized (discounted) price and the carriers need a way to make up for the difference. For example, a brand new 16GB iPhone 5s will cost a current or existing customer $199.99 when signing a new two-year contract. At full retail, the phone costs $649. By allowing customers to pay the discounted price to use the phone, the carrier will implement a data plan in order to recuperate the cost of the device as well as make a little extra money off the customer for providing the service. 

It really can be unfair for those people who purchased their devices at the unsubsidized price, so the carrier benefits directly from those kinds of customers. Fortunately, many people prefer to pay the subsidized price so that companies like AT&T will not "rob" those who paid full retail. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.