Troubleshoot your device issues
Nathanbs's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, February 26th, 2012 4:48 AM

New phone choices, what to do?

So my old flip phone, Sony Ericsson little flip phone, is dying. I have the 40 dollar talk plan, with the 10 dollar medianet plan (200 texts, picture messages and a tiny bit of data to basically check sports scores). The thing is, I don't want to pay anything more for data, and I want to continue using my media plan. I checked out a few phones today at the ATT store (pantech breeze 3, pantech ease, another pantech one) and I'm worried about the attnet things I see. Like, I don't want it to take a ton of data every time I try to check a simple sports score, with pages loading, etc. 

So, my question is, does anyone know about how much data that takes, when you open up the attnet?

Also, does anyone have any phone suggestions for me that are cheap, with media net access, and a camera/video recording/texts/basic stuff?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Nathanbs wrote:

So my old flip phone, Sony Ericsson little flip phone, is dying. I have the 40 dollar talk plan, with the 10 dollar medianet plan (200 texts, picture messages and a tiny bit of data to basically check sports scores). The thing is, I don't want to pay anything more for data, and I want to continue using my media plan. I checked out a few phones today at the ATT store (pantech breeze 3, pantech ease, another pantech one) and I'm worried about the attnet things I see. Like, I don't want it to take a ton of data every time I try to check a simple sports score, with pages loading, etc. 

So, my question is, does anyone know about how much data that takes, when you open up the attnet?

Also, does anyone have any phone suggestions for me that are cheap, with media net access, and a camera/video recording/texts/basic stuff?

Thanks!

there are the phones that are compatible with your current data plan, they do not require the smartphone data plan

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/quick-messaging.jsp

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Well, I only found a few phones that were cheap that offered Medianet. The Pantech Link 2 (from the "quick messaging" section) and the Samsung a777 from the slide phone section.

Ugh. Pretty limited selection, but I'll go try to find something else today at the store.

The salesman yesterday showed me like 4 phones, and told me each one wouldn't have a problem with my current package, but I didn't believe him (and looks like he was wrong, since not all the phones say they have medianet in the video section, where a few do. Some have HTML browsing, or att.net, or other things).

Scholar

• 

289 Messages

12 years ago

You could also try eBay if you feel comfortable with that. You could even get the same type of phone if you really wanted to.  Good luck in finding a device that best suites your needs. Cat Wink

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I did look at Ebay, but there were just a few used ones of my phone. I didn't figure my phone would last much longer anyway, so I don't really want a used one. Maybe a new one (of my old phone) but there's not one in sight.

The phones under "quick messaging" say unlimited messaging is recommended, which is odd, because I didn't have that before. I had the Medianet, and it looks like some of those phones let you keep Medianet. My main worry is, I don't want a phone that has like ATT.net or a lot of internet stuff, and accidentally go over my tiny 1kb data limit in a day!

Thanks for the replies, anyone else have a phone out of those quick messaging ones they say is the best?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Nathanbs wrote:

Thank you for the replies. I did look at Ebay, but there were just a few used ones of my phone. I didn't figure my phone would last much longer anyway, so I don't really want a used one. Maybe a new one (of my old phone) but there's not one in sight.

The phones under "quick messaging" say unlimited messaging is recommended, which is odd, because I didn't have that before. I had the Medianet, and it looks like some of those phones let you keep Medianet. My main worry is, I don't want a phone that has like ATT.net or a lot of internet stuff, and accidentally go over my tiny 1kb data limit in a day!

Thanks for the replies, anyone else have a phone out of those quick messaging ones they say is the best?

there was a time that a messaging plan was required for a qmd device, just like a data plan for smartphone, now they just recommend one. The unlimited plan or pay as you go message plan are the only two choices left for texting. They did add unlimited mobile to any mobile to the unlimited texting plan with a qualifying voice plan though

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.