For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
wnsandiego's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, February 17th, 2017 7:28 PM

New SIM locked by ATT...won't work on multiple devices.

I just moves a number over from Verizon. My new SIM just received from ATT was purchased using an IMEI from an iPhone 6S.  I tried to use on other devices and it will not register.  Customer Support at ATT says that the SIM is specific to the iPhone and cannot be moved around.  This is new to me as I have always enjoyed SIM portability with ATT and various devices.  What's the solution other than having separate phone numbers for each device?

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

7 years ago

I have been able to use an Android phone SIM in an iPhone. The iFeatures (FaceTime, iMessage, etc.) may not work, but the basic data worked fine. Granted that was about 3 years ago, things could have changed since then.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks...me to...many times in the past.  This is new from ATT.  Even the website states SIMs are interchangable, Tech Support says that a new security feature locks them to a specific phone. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@wnsandiego What type of device(s) are you trying to move it over to?

Do you have a fixed data plan (specific amount of GB) or unlimited plan?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I've tried to use it in four different unlocked phone devices, Sony,Sonim, Microsoft Windows phone and the GSM phone  module built into my 2015 Porsche (Not Connected Car) .  All have previously accepted and worked with ATT, T- Mobile, and a UK Sim.  I pay for 10GB of data monthly but never hit it.  I think my "bucket" has about 60GB of unused data in it at the moment.  I am a frequent international traveler and have never had a problem with Sim portability prior to this.  

ATT Tech support has bounced me around to various levels and the common answer is to get a different number for each phone, which is unacceptable.  

Here's what ATT's website says today:

Once you have an AT&T SIM and have activated the AT&T SIM card, you can put it in any compatible, unlocked GSM device you choose.

This answer is found here: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/byop.html

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@wnsandiego wrote:

I pay for 10GB of data monthly but never hit it.  I think my "bucket" has about 60GB of unused data in it at the moment.  

Rollover is only one month, the most you can have in your "bucket" is 20GB (10GB from last month if you used none and 10GB from this month).

Regarless, that makes no sense. Go to an AT&T Corportate store and get a new SIM, there has got to be something wonky with it.  That is the correct technical term 😉

Take the other devices with you (just on the off chance someone geeky wants to help you out).

Apple has some new multi-carrier SIMs, it might be related to that. I'd just get a new SIM. (Keep the old one)

Please let me know how it turns out so I know whether to suggest this again to somebody...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.