For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Wild Banchi's profile

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

Saturday, January 22nd, 2011 2:16 AM

New 4G SIM Card Needed for "4G" Device?

Thinking I may get a HTC Inspire "4G" fairly soon, a SIM card question comes to mind. In order for the new "4G" technology to fully work on this device, will a 4G SIM card be needed for activation? Does AT&T even plan on making that generation of SIM's? I know this new "4G" term isn't truly 100% 4G. It's basically just a more advanced form of 3G, right? If I'm correct, it seems that a new 4G SIM would not be needed in order to use this phone, which is going to be used on prepaid, by the way. My current 3G SIM card would function fine in the HTC, then? Clarification would be greatly appreciated.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

Your current sim card would be fine.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Alright, thanks, Planet-Ed. Now I know I'll be all set for the SIM transfer.

I just finished watching some new 4G devices videos on YouTube. Man, those three are bound to be a hit. The HTC is my favorite so far.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

the 4G on that device is HSPA+

When LTE comes around you'll need a new SIM card

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@JFizDaWiz wrote:

Which probably won't be until another year or so... 😉 At least I'm good for the time being.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:

@JFizDaWiz wrote:

Which probably won't be until another year or so... 😉 At least I'm good for the time being.

This device is not LTE supported, so you would need a new device as well, if you want to truly run 4G. I know, AT&T is following the lead of another carrier, but is very misleading to consumers. Most consumers will think they are going to be running on 4G out of the box and not realize that they will never be able to run 4G with a device that is touted as a 4G device. Did someone say something about what you see is what you get. LOL

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@sitnsidewayz wrote:

@Wild Banchi wrote:

@JFizDaWiz wrote:

This device is not LTE supported, so you would need a new device as well, if you want to truly run 4G. I know, AT&T is following the lead of another carrier, but is very misleading to consumers. Most consumers will think they are going to be running on 4G out of the box and not realize that they will never be able to run 4G with a device that is touted as a 4G device. Did someone say something about what you see is what you get. LOL

I don't need a device that TRULY runs 4G, although it would be cool. I will be using this on my prepaid account, so that way I avoid paying for a data plan. All I use my phone for is calling/text messaging. Of course I use tools that it's equipped with such as the camera and calendar, etc. I am not going to be using this device for Internet purposes, although I would love to try out the browser and see how it works. 😛

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

13 years ago

Hopefully in the future some of these carriers  will extend battery life on some of this smartphones. 3g drains the phones enough, not sure if I wanna know what 4g is gonna be like lol.

Scholar

• 

126 Messages

13 years ago

Pretty sure WiMax will be awful since they use 2.5 GHz and thus require more towers and more power. LTE uses 700 MHz reaches through buildings and uses less power than WiMax.

Personally, I refuse to call HSPA+/LTE/WiMax 4G technology. If anything, it's 3.5G technology until LTE Advanced and 802.16m arrive. Then we can talk about 4G.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

why would you get a smart phone for just calling texting there are much cheaper and better options for you

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Because I like having the functionality and modern-ness of a smartphone. Right now I have a cool QMD that I like lot, but there aren't many that I like so much right now.

But what do you think are some "cheaper and better options" for me? 😉
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.