For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
aero2000's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, January 24th, 2016 7:37 PM

Network showing Maritime instead of At&T

I noticed that my phone indicates Maratime instead of AT&T on the top left corner of my screen.This happens randomly.. I'm nowhere near the ocean so i'm confused as to why this is being displayed. Is this something i should be concerned about? Thanks

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @aero2000!

Maritime does indicate a roaming network—have you received any international roaming alerts? Please send us a private message with your full name, AT&T mobile number, and the address where your phone indicates Maritime so that we can look into this with you.

Thanks,

Alison

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hi, I have a similar issue. My Lumia 950 does show the ATT logo on the screen, but the data usage in All Settings -> Network and Wireless shows Maritime instead. Sometimes it becomes ATT after rebooting, but most of the time it's Maritime. Any idea?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have had the same issue and have not seen any roaming charges either. We have 3 lines on our account and there is only one phone that does this when in the same locations. This is a full signal 4G location as well when this is happening.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm having the same problem.  Comes up randomly.  I'm not within cell range of the port so I can't see how I would be roaming.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have a Motorola phone,I am 45 miles north of Mexico's border in AZ. Why does my phone switch to maritime? It has eaten up my high speed data.?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Shutterbugshea wrote:
I have a Motorola phone,I am 45 miles north of Mexico's border in AZ. Why does my phone switch to maritime? It has eaten up my high speed data.?

Why/how would this be eating your data up?

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It's most likely the metadata (fancy way to talk about the identifiation and other info that the device uses to identify its' network) for the AT&T network is confused/mis-identified somehow, most likely the tower routing, but that's an educated guess.

Apparently AT&T operates some cruise ship networks too (not 100% factual, just some quick skimming I did), and this is likely what you phone thinks it's seeing, even though you're clearly connected to a "land-based" cell tower.

I'd ping the MobilityCare above, when you see this, so they can iron it out. 

Even if your signal was routed/identified incorrectly, I'm confident the chances of getting charged accordingly are almost nil.  I know this, because I too have this signal from time-to-time, I reported it a couple of times, still it pops up, occasionally.

I never had a charge, or even saw this on a bill, I have only ever seen it on my usage graphs.

Echoing what @Gary L said, I too don't see how this would cause an inordinate amount of cell usage. @Shutterbugshea take a look at your Settings->Data, and let us know what it says there, what are your "high usage" items?

If you really want to get all 'tinfoil hat", for fun, try looking up "maritim" signal (yeah, no "e"), and some of the suspected sources for those signals ;-]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.