Troubleshoot your device issues
djjimmer's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Thursday, March 31st, 2016 3:56 PM

Need repeater for new LG Escape 2, (Voice only, no data)

Hi!
I am on a low fixed budget and only need signal in a 10'X49' mobile home where new phone only receives 1-2 bars. (Old ph gets 5, but 2G, not 3G voice.)
So I won't be using said new phone for data, but voice only. I need to reduce costs and people are trying to sell me over priced un-needed overkill. An AT&T rep called me to say Voice at my location runs on these 3 frequencies. 850mhz, 1900mhz and 2100 mhz.

I also need to know if these frequinces include text. as I do sometimes need to receive a text message, although I don't prefer them.

Thank You in advance if you have a lower priced solution in say, the $150 - $195 ranges?
~Jimmer M. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@djjimmer

Happy to help.  Can I ask what your zip code is?  (So I can check coverage)

And how new is your phone and was it a full price purchase?  

Are you using GoPhone service?  (Also related to coverage and priority)

If so, How much do you typically use the phone?

Im pretty happy with my ATT service, but it isn't the right service is all areas.   It's possible you should try another carrier.  There are places that Verizon works much better.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, it's 05476.
I am at the top of Vermont at the Canada border. (1.8 miles away) The tower used for my service is atop "Jay Peak" ski resort. (about 4 miles as the birds fly, but smaller mountains inbetween somewhat blocking much of the signal) It is a known low signal area. But my 12 year old flip phone has more windings in the antenna coil than todays phones.
Thank You for your reply!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

Ps: New phone arrived a week ago. Was replaced at no charge.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

Pss: No other carrier signals to be had at this location.
Only one is Canada's "Roger's" signal. Not an option for me.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

Psss:
I have some problems with remembering to reply to all of your asked questions. I just checked back to see yf you replied, and I know nothing of "Go phone"
I am merely looking for the proper repeater to boost my signal here in my small home.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

Also it is my only phone. I live off the grid with no wires coming to my home. I use the phone daily.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Got it, thanks, I am looking into coverage, will get back to your shortly.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Well, coverage with Verizon in your area is non-existent, which surprised me.  Att does seem to be the only carrier that comes close to coverage.

Next question: Cell repeaters require a home wifi service to work.  If your off the grid without home internet service, a cell repeater isn't going to help you.  

Im going to look at the phone they sent you to see if it's the problem.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Okay.  The Escape 2 is a low budget smartphone sold through Cricket, which is owned by ATT.  

It's possible the phone is faulty.  If it's been less than 14 days, ATT will replace the phone with a new one.  

Another thing to consider is, If you never use data, it may not be the best phone for you.  

My experience is voice quality is sacrificed on some smartphones for text and data use.  (FYI, text can go through with very little signal.  Voice and data need much better connection to work)

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

Alright, may be the best call you have suggested here...
In the past they sent me 4-5 phones, (About 2 years ago) 1 at a time, trying to find one to pull in signal. Problem is most reps are not overly tech savvy. .. The phones were all the same, 1-2 bars. (Not enough windings in the antennas anymore) My old 2G ph which I am still using was designed for rural areas back some 12+ years ago. $35 phone, works great. But I was notified that 2G about to dissappear.
So yeah, the LG phone didn't impress me, considering I would only be able to use internet if connecting to wi-fi.
Been thinking to call and return it for something more senseable. Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.