Moving a prepaid SIM from phone to AirCard

Tutor

Moving a prepaid SIM from phone to AirCard

I have a prepaid phone account, with the $25/mo plan, unlimited texting, and a data plan.  I like it.

I have occasional need to make data connection on a Windows CE.NET field data collector, by way of a Sierra Wireless AirCard 860 (a PC Card device commonly used in older generation laptops).

I would like to know if it is possible to move my SIM card from my prepaid phone to the AirCard.

In fact, I have already tried it.  Upon insertion of the SIM card into the AirCard, I receive an error message something to the effect of "SIM card not found".

I called and spoke with an AT&T rep today.  She concluded that I wanted to "tether" and that I would have to make a monthly post-paid contract, at $80/mo minimum. This is far too expensive for the limited use I have, and I would not choose this.  However, I am not sure that what I am trying to do is "tethering".

Can anyone point a way forward for me?  I'd really like to get this to work.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 6 (2,622 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author big-al-1
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Moving a prepaid SIM from phone to AirCard

Unfortunately, what you want to do is not a supported use of a regular prepaid account. While it is not true that you need a contract for "tethering" (which you're right, technically is not what you're trying to do) you do need a different setup. It is available on a prepaid basis in the form of Dataconnect Pass, but it isn't all that cheap.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (2,594 Views)
Tutor

Thanks dmapr. Your post is quite helpful. I'm going to look into the details of the Dataconnect offering.

I'm leaning at this point towards getting a dedicated SIM card for this purpose, rather than having to swap card from my phone to my device. TMobile offers a prepaid option that supports the use of an aircard for $2 to $3 per day. Which is perfect for my occasional use.
Message 3 of 6 (2,537 Views)
Tutor

How do I get an email when someone has replied to my post?
Message 4 of 6 (2,533 Views)
ACE - Expert

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (2,484 Views)
ACE - Expert

big-al-1 wrote:
Thanks dmapr. Your post is quite helpful. I'm going to look into the details of the Dataconnect offering.

I'm leaning at this point towards getting a dedicated SIM card for this purpose, rather than having to swap card from my phone to my device. TMobile offers a prepaid option that supports the use of an aircard for $2 to $3 per day. Which is perfect for my occasional use.

I would agree that a "pay when used" is the best approach. Unfortunately, AT&T's cheapest dataconnect offering is a $15, 100MB one-day package so if you have T-Mobile coverage where you need it it sounds like an easy winner.

Message 6 of 6 (2,482 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.