Troubleshoot your device issues
63kmmel's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, June 4th, 2014 2:37 PM

Mobile Hotspots - How do they work?

Hello, I have a question, my husband travels and often the hotel Wi-Fi is unreliable. Would a mobile hotspot work? If so does the data used apply against his IPhone plan or is the data used off of the hotspot plan. PleaseI am not a tech person and do not understand this.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@63kmmel wrote:

Hello, I have a question, my husband travels and often the hotel Wi-Fi is unreliable. Would a mobile hotspot work? If so does the data used apply against his IPhone plan or is the data used off of the hotspot plan. PleaseI am not a tech person and do not understand this.

It would really depend upon a few things on how your husband sets up his account(s).  If he has a Mobile Share plan and places his iPhone and the hotspot on the same account, then they will share data, so they both use from the same data pool.

If the hotspot is setup with its own account, then anything usning the hotspot will use the hotspot's data account, and not its own account data.  This means that it could be either way depending upon how he chooses to setup his account.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.