Troubleshoot your device issues
thomascgty's profile
Associated Member

Associated Member

• 

126 Messages

Friday, April 7th, 2017 5:37 PM

Lumia 640XL and Windows 10

Why did I received a Windows 8.1 version and not the advertised Windows 10 version? The smartphone is only a few days and around a week old. Now, I have yet checked the other specs of the received phone if it has the same specs as the advertised one.

Take your work beyond the office walls with the Microsoft® Lumia 640 XL. With built-in productivity tools and 4G LTE connectivity, working on the go is a seamless experience. Key features include:

• Windows Phone® 10
  • 5.7" HD display
  • Microsoft® Office and OneDrive®
  • 13MP rear- and 5MP front-facing cameras
*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

673 Messages

7 years ago

@thomascgty The Lumia 640XL is NOT a Windows 10 Mobile device. You can UPGRADE it to Windows 10 Mobile, but when released it was a Windows Phone 8.1 device.

This is the specification page from Microsoft's site and NOWHERE does it state it is a Windows 10 Mobile Device.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phone/lumia640-xl/specifications/

Now, you can get Windows 10 Mobile on it, but you'll have to install the Windows Insider App and jump on the Preview Ring.

Associated Member

• 

126 Messages

7 years ago

Huh? This is not even close to being "solved" and yet flagged as "Solved".

On AT&T's product page it clearly stated as Windows 10 OS not as Windows 8.1. By stating that on the AT&T's product page, it is technically false advertising on AT&T's part. 

And even on AT&T's Business Premier page, it is being marketed by AT&T as Windows 10.

• Dimensions: 6.21 x 3.20 x 0.35 inches
  • Weight: 6.03 ounces
  • Battery: 3000mAh (removable)
  • Talk Time: Up to 25 hours
  • Standby Time: Up to 28 days
  • Audio Playback Time: Up to 43.8 hours
  • Technology: GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA+/LTE2
  • Frequency: GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz; UMTS/HSPA+: 850/900/1900/2100MHz; LTE2: Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 17
  • HAC Rating: M3,T4
  • Operating System: Windows Phone 10
  • Processor: Qualcomm® Snapdragon® 400 with 1.2GHz quad-core CPU and Adreno™ 305 GPU
  • Internal Memory: Up to 8GB; Up to 1GB RAM
  • External Memory: Up to 128GB microSD™
  • Display: 5.7-inch IPS LCD; 1280 x 720; Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3; ClearBlack®; Glance Screen; 16:9 Aspect Ratio; 259ppi; 16 million colors
  • Device eco-rating: 4 Stars. Visit www.att.com/ecospace for additional information.
  • Near Field Communication (NFC): Open
  • Touchscreen
  • TTY Compatible
  • Wireless Emergency Alerts

Guru

• 

673 Messages

7 years ago

@thomascgty I do not see that this has been marked as "solved". The Lumia 640 and 640 XL are Windows 8.1 devices that when released were marketed as "Windows 10 Mobile Ready". At the time of manufacturing of the Lumia 640 XL, Windows 10 Mobile was not available. However the devices were designed to support Windows 10 Mobile. You cannot buy a brand new, never opened Lumia 640 XL with Windows 10 installed.

You have found a web page that should have stated Windows 10 Mobile Ready. If you want to get a lawyer and go after AT&T about this, have at it and good luck. But you'll get no where here in these forums as this is a user to user forum, where users help each other. You'd get better results going to your local AT&T store and complaining to the manager... not that they can give you a Lumia 640 XL brand new with Windows 10 Mobile on it.

So I'll tell you again, if you want Windows 10 on the Lumia 640 XL, you should install the Windows Insider App. Even if the Lumia 640 XL had come from AT&T with Windows 10, you'd be way behind in updates on the device. You'd be better off getting the device on the Insider Program.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@thomascgty

Fine.  I will pass it along that the page should say "upgradable to windows 10" and it will take a month to change the web page.  

Will that suffice?

@ODad  Great information.  I know zip about windows phones.   

Guru

• 

673 Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 AT&T will probably just delete the page. I don't think you can buy this model phone from them any longer. Certainly isn't available as an upgrade option, and I just checked to see if I could purchase and the page shows it as "out of stock". The phone is no longer manufactured, so I don't expect them to "restock". You can buy AT&T phones from the Microsoft store but... the 640 XL isn't an option, nor is a Microsoft Unlocked one an option. This would be like trying to buy an iPhone 5 from AT&T.

@thomascgty, when did you purchase this phone?

For giggles I checked ebay to see if there were any new units and see what they are going for these days. Interesting, two sellers are selling AT&T versions for $125... ships from Hong Kong! they're network locked too; so they might be legit AT&T devices.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@ODad   I'm sure your right.  They don't even sell it on the Gophone page anymore, which is where stale inventory goes for a last gasp.

The thread will be marked as solved at some point, and your answers were very helpful if someone buys a 640 XL and wants windows 10.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

What  exactly is an "insider" program? I talked to AT&T help desk and they helped me install the Windows Upgrade App, but never mentioned an "insider" program. Is this something a non tech person can work with?

Guru

• 

673 Messages

6 years ago

@Lumiauser The Windows Insider Program allows users to get early builds of Windows 10, in this situation Windows 10 Mobile before they are officially released. In the normal situation the answer to your question is, no. A non-Tech person probably should get into the Insider program - with ANY Insider Program Microsoft offers -. The reason is that you can expect there to be problem because you are working with unreleased code; it is beta code.

Now concerning Windows 10 Mobile. Microsoft releases updates once a month, and has not released an Insider Preview in months. 

So, I suggest you go with the version of Windows 10 set to work with your device and do not worry about jumping on the Insider program as there is no value to you at this stage.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the explanation.I wish I knew how long I had to wait!

Guru

• 

673 Messages

6 years ago

@Lumiauser there is also a utility from Microsoft called the Over the Cable Updater Tool. I've never used it. I just downloaded it from Microsoft and going to test it on a device. I'll see if i can recommend it for a non-tech person.

I suggest you go ahead and start backup things up. Are you photos and such in the cloud, on your computer or all on your phone?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.