Troubleshoot your device issues
northidahoted's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016 3:43 PM

Lumia 640 Windows 10

When will att provide the upgrade from OO 8.1 to 10?

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

AT&T will not give you a date, a time line or anything else.. If you really want it now, I suggest you you join the Windows Insider Program.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

Get thte upgrade advisor, it will let you know if you are eligible for upgrade, check notify when available and just wait, not being a smart animal, but it took me awhile but I was notified supplied link and so far aok....back up contacts before.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Signing up for Windows Insider seems rather risky, given all the warnings and disclaimers, just to get a system update.

I just can't understand why Microsoft/ATT make this such a low priority. After being an Apple customer for years, when I started using a smart phone I switched everything to the Microsoft platform, and have been a loyal Windows Phone customer ever since. Microsoft and their carriers doesn't seem to be too interested in the phone businesses lately, or even supporting existing customers. So I guess the real question is: iPhone or Android?

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Microsoft has released all the updates, regularly.

As far as carriers go, it won't matter if you go with Android, if you get a branded phone, you'll be waiting there too.  Apple has managed to assert itself here, and gets around the loop.

If you want to remove your updates from this part of the (carrier) loop, you have to go un-branded, or Apple, those are pretty much your choices.

The cool thing about Windows phone, is that even if you have a branded device, you can go Insider (Release Preview, so you're getting really stable releases, almost the same as unbranded), and have both options.  Then, at any point if you feel you want to go back to the AT&T release, just opt-out of Insider, and you'll go back into the carrier-based release.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

Don't put Microsoft into that low priority group. If it were THEIR call you would have the updates the absolute latest version. This is 100% AT&T responsibility for release. Microsoft has to warn you concerning the Insider program. There is a risk even when you update from AT&T. From my experience you can update. You can get the same build of Windows 10 that AT&T will eventually release OR get even later releases. If you have an AT&T branded phone you even get their - AT&T - bloatware; which thankfully you can remove. You can get more stable AND more features by getting the latest release from Microsoft directly. As mentioned,, Android you're in a worse situation with updates. You wait just as long for AT&T to release, you CANNOT remove AT&T bloatware you'll be lucky to get more than 1-2 updates for your device and no option that is as easy as the Inside program. You have a far more risky root/update process not meant for the average device user. You can buy unbranded phones but their are hurdles there as well. Carrier features are lost, you need to make certain the device you choose has the proper LTE bands. But out is certainly a viable option. iPhone is far better than Android for ease of updating your device.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Look, I bought a 640xl about 12 months ago, knowing that it was "ready for upgrade to Windows 10" at some point in the future. With product sales cycles at about 6 months - waiting a year for something expected to be imminent at the purchase point is absurd. If AT&T has decided not to do the Windows 10 for the 640xl, I would appreciate it if that would be announced.

To my untrainied eye - AT&T perhaps had seen the writing on the wall and perhaps has chosen to drop the Windows 10 upgrade for the 640xl. I can imagine that, due to the low (and declining)market share for Windows phones, they may not think it is worth the development resources. Fine, but please announce it so I can make the decision to go back to an iPhone.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Emil_BlatzWhy not follow mine (and @ODad's) suggestion, and go Insider, Release Preview ring?
If you're considering going to another phone, well not much lost, and a LOT to gain.

Even if AT&T released tomorrow, it'd likely be the .107 build, which is pretty far behind the current, far less buggy, way more power-efficient, current build, .494.  494 is almost a whole product cycle ahead, in practical terms.

Your chance of bricking your phone is very low, unless you intentionally pull the battery in the middle of the upgrade or similar, and even so, the Windows Device Recovery Tool can bail you out, from most of these scenarios (not saying  you should test this...).

Your call, move onto a current build, enjoy your W10m 640XL (a great phone, BTW), with a really solid build, or wait around for a (likely) really-dated OTA update from AT&T...

Either way, MS has had you covered all the while here, at least they have a mechanism for you to update, unlike most other OEMs, most of which have no great way to move forward, without incurring a lot of risk.  Insider builds are almost a gimme', by comparison.

Your move, or not.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@Emil_Blatz The AT&T release schedule is pretty messed up in my opinion. Yes they could at least tell you they will release for the 640 XL, sit back and wait. But they will not.Your answer will always be that they are working to get Windows 10 on as many devices as possible. This wait for update from AT&T is not unique to Windows 10 Mobile, we've seen it for WIndows Phone 8.x and every release of Android.

One possible reason for the delay in release for the 640 XL is that the anniversary update of Winodws 10 is very close, some of us might actually have it on our devices today. This is the next major update of Windows 10. But that of course is just a guess.

Microsoft cranks out an update a month for Windows 10 and AT&T is already so far behind on the release schedule. The 640 XL is already many updates behind; AT&T releasing 10586.107 and the current released branch is at 10586.494. 

You have three options:

1. Keep waiting on AT&T to release an outdated Windows 10 Mobile version update to you. Who knows how long you will wait
  2. Go ahead and get updated to the latest released version of Windows 10 today
  3. Move back to the iPhone.

If you want help for Option 2, please start a new thread here and ask. I've got a video I put together for the 640 LTE, that is a little dated but should be helpful to you.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

I think it is…go to Microsoft and get upgrade advisor , the advisor might be avail at the store as well

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Upgrade Advisor only tells you your phone is ready for Windows 10. We need
AT&T to push it out to us.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.