LTE Bands Coverage

Highlighted
Teacher

LTE Bands Coverage

How do I figure out which bands are covered in my area for LTE coverage

Message 1 of 21
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎01-08-2019 1:53 PM

Re: LTE bands coverage

I use an app on my android called Network Cell info lite.  The app connects to towers and tells you what band of LTE it’s using.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 21
Teacher

That' sounds very useful, only problem is i have cdma phone atm & researching GSM in my area before i purchase one.  

Message 3 of 21
Teacher

Is there any other way to figure it out short of purchasing a phone and data plan? 

Message 4 of 21
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by eRok666
‎12-10-2018 12:03 AM

Just buy a phone that supports all frequency bands used by ATT. What bands are see where depends on what they have been licensed and varies by location. This is from: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Mobility

Frequencies used on the AT&T Network
Frequency range Band
number
Protocol Generation Status Notes
850 MHz CLR 5 UMTS/HSPA+
up to 21Mbit/s
3G Active Enhanced 3G services marketed as 4G.
1900 MHz PCS 2
700 MHz Lower B/C/D/E/PS Blocks 12/17 LTE 4G Bands 12 and 17 are AT&T's main LTE bands for coverage.
14 Active/Building Out Band 14 was acquired from FirstNet and is to be used for public safety services, although commercial uses are permitted (with lower priority).
29 Band 29 is only for supplemental downlink.
850 MHz CLR 5 Additional LTE bands for capacity.
1700/2100 MHz AWS 4
1900 MHz PCS 2
2300 MHz WCS 30

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 21
ACE - Sage

Just an FYI, prepaid doesn’t allow Wifi calling.  To use Wifi calling on postpaid you need a branded android. 

If those aren’t issues, start with what Best Buy has to offer, as they are all able to work on US carriers.  

Best Buy will match prices on amazon or manufacturer websites.  Shopping alibaba is a bad idea.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 6 of 21
Teacher

TechnologyGSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 

4G bands
LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700), 17(700), 28(700) 

Ok This has the main frequencies, does it look anymore promising for LTE?

Message 7 of 21
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by eRok666
‎12-09-2018 11:57 PM

@eRok666

Yes.  

No guarantees, but the specs are correct. 

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 21
Teacher

Ok, ill give it a whirl if I can convince a seller to hold the restocking fee. I'll check back in here with my findings for future endevours. Thanks

Message 9 of 21
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by eRok666
‎12-13-2018 2:29 AM

@eRok666

If you’re not into playing roulette, stick with what Best Buy and Amazon (with US warranties) has to offer.

a lot of the Chinese phones have 3g IMEi registration, so you would need a cheap ATT phone to register on the network first to fool the system. 

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 21
Teacher

Thanks, thats the most relevant answer I was looking for....   I gave up on the idea of taking a chance at what you stated with the service and I opted for an LG V35 ThinQ.  Only problem is now i bought what i thought was a month of unlimited month of service and sim card, but apparently i guess its only unlimited data and not including voice and text..... Hope the sim least activates the phone, now i suppose ill have to go buy another "service" card for it to actually work.  So much for the budget  friendly experiment idea.

Message 11 of 21
ACE - Sage

@eRok666

All prepaid SIM cards for phone service would buy a plan with unlimited talk and text.  Currently the $85 plan is $65 with a new number, also includes 10 gigs of hotspot.   That deal ends at the end of the year.

A data only plan would not work on a phone.

Message 12 of 21
Teacher

I figured the sole data wouldnt work on the phone, so im assuming the sim card that was mailed with the unlimited data isnt even for setting up a phone, just to use the data i presume?  

That raises another question.... The 4 Service providers in the US (Verizon, At&t, T-mobile, Sprint) all have MVNOs that more or less rent the carriers towers and re distribute the service to the consumer at cheaper rates.. What i wanted to know is if MVNOs are selling the service cheaper is it because  they dont actually have access to all the of parent companies (carriers) towers resulting in less substantial service then getting it straight from carrier?  I know that the smaller companies like straight talk or total wireless which i have CAP the LTE speeds and throttle them as well.  Is this the case and reason for price increase going straight to the carrier for service? Because its more adequate?

Message 13 of 21
ACE - Sage

Att does not provide a data only plan with unlimited data.  You had to have purchased a phone plan.  

The MVNO’s have limits to what they provide as a reseller.  For example, straight talk resells ATT and Verizon and offers a $55 unlimited data plan they call ‘Ultimate unlimited plan’.  But right under that title it says if you exceed 60 gigs they will “re-evaluate your service”.  It’s been posted here that they just cut you off for the month when you hit 60 and message you.  

As opposed to ATT customers who have reported hitting the wall at 22 gigs, or never hitting a slow down and using hundreds of gigs a month.  

Message 14 of 21
Contributor

Hi lizdance40 in regards to your comment about requiring a branded Android phone to get wifi calling and HD voice, VoLTE "Advanced Calling" features on your postpaid account is deprecated. I and many others have managed to get various unlocked Pixel 2 and 3 devices to reliably work with all of the above however it required a call to 611. the corporate store said they did it but they lied and I had to call later but that lady knew what I was talking about with almost no prompting and an airplane mode cycle later for each device it has worked sinceScreenshot_20190113-145355.jpgScreenshot_20190113-145423.jpg

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support