Troubleshoot your device issues
Woe1976's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, March 5th, 2016 4:26 PM

LG G3 mobile hotspot not working

I purchased a new LG G3 for my wife and myself. I use at&t gophone and she uses straight talk. Her mobile hotspot works great but mine does not work at all. Previously i had an HTC Desire that I purchased directly from at&t and the hotspot worked fine. So what is the problem now? Is it the phone or at&t? I need the hotspot for when I'm working and no Wi-Fi is available for my laptop. Can someone please shed some light on my problem.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

The hotspot is a carrier feature not a phone feature and your non carrier phone is not compatible with  GoPhone tethering.

I don't know why, but the problem has come up repeatedly and tech support cannot make it work.

There must be something different with postpaid plans because my non - ATT phone works fine for tethering.

Please note, while ATT will accommodate your non ATT phone, they do not guarantee all features of their network will function.  For example, I can tether, but I don't get HD voice.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Is your LG G3 an ATT branded phone?   And you have either $45 or $60 plan?

It isn't possible to activate the hotspot on a non ATT device on a GoPhone plan.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

No, its not an at&t branded phone and yes i have the $60 plan. But at&t has the bring your own phone deal so why wouldn't they allow the hotspot to work with a non at&t phone? That makes little sense to me. Unless they just want you to spend money on their devices. If thats the case... Goodbye at&t hello new carrier. Although I'd hate to switch because I have excellent service where ever my job takes me, but at thr same time I "NEED" the mobile hotspot and afraid another carrier will not give me the reliably that need. Any suggestions?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I cannot wrap my mind around that because as I previously mentioned my wife has straight talk from Wal-Mart and her hotspot works as it should. At&t has been in this business for years and they cant get it to work but straight talk can. Maybe I've been given at&t credit they dont deserve. I've been with at&t for years now and this is the first major issue I've ever had. But like i said, I have to have the mobile hotspot and without it I'm dead in the water. And i cannot afford to dish more money for an at&t phone and i have some server reservations about contracts because they tend keep jacking up the monthly payments. Maybe its time to switch although I'd hate to because at&t has been very good to me. But I guess all good things must come to an end. I really appreciate all the help you have given me. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me and I hope anyone else who has the same issue finds you on the other end.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Have you contacted ATT to see if they can get it working?  It may not, but it's worth a try.

The last person who posted was told incorrectly by customer support that because the $60 plan was "unlimited" the hotspot was not allowed - totally WRONG.  And to top it off the CSR provided a link to the Information on the plan, which specifically states the hotspot may be used.

Since the phone was not entirely ATT compatible (international phone)  it didn't surprise me.  (Side note: iPhone is the exception, the hotspot works)

Update if you get any results, it may help other customers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

My hotspot on my iphone7s plus worked fine b4 your recent change from AT&T gophone to AR&T PREPAID...., and I am very angry.... entire point for buying this's AT&T store bought phone and Gophone service...this sucks, AT&T has turned into near communist monopoly and is now just saying screw u to its customers....

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

You can activate the Hotspot for any carrier (Unrooted LG G3 D850 AT&T tested) this way:

1. Install the free SETTINGS DATABASE EDITOR from Play Store and open it.

2. Choose SYSTEM.

3. Find "tether_entitlement_check_state" and touch it to edit.

4.Change "5" to "0" and save changes.

5. That's all. Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

You don't need to root the phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This fix most definitely worked for my LG Phoenix 3 however once the fix was applied my 4glte data was very very slow. My browser wouldn't even load, it would tell me I had to reload the page. Mobile Hotspot worked fine for my friends, a little slow for them too but still worked. Did this happen to anyone else? And if so how to fix that as well?

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

CK_Stax. It's normally that you Hotspot make you device slower, because
other devices use part of your 4G LTE data. So it depends of provider's
data speed and your phone's apps and Wi Fi devices "appetite".

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.