Troubleshoot your device issues
azurecrimsonrose's profile

Mentor

• 

91 Messages

Friday, January 25th, 2013 9:35 PM

Is it true they are doing away with SIM cards you insert into GSM cell phones?

I was talking with a techology buff friend of mine and he was telling me how they are starting to do away with the SIM card you insert into a GSM phone and now just having them come installed in the device instead, like what Verizon Wireless and Sprint are doing with their "global" devices.  Is AT&T going to do this as well?  

Master

• 

788 Messages

11 years ago

I would hope not, as it would make it more difficult for people to switch phones on a regular basis. Sprint & VZW mainly use the IMEI of the phone itself, and you would need to either contact cs or go to their web site to switch to another phone instead of simply moving the sim card to another phone. This is one of the advantages of using a GSM carrier.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

10 years ago

When you say "the SIM already build in" you have to elaborate. Sprint, and Verizon have SIMs so they can access 4G LTE speeds. That 4G LTE SIM is different than the SIM that acts as the phones "brain". With newer phones Verizon has begun to have the SIM "pre-installed" like Sprint( if that's what you were meaning in the first place). I don't see the SIM(brain) in GSM phones going away anytime soon, BUT with the way technology is, I'm pretty sure we can look forward to something in the near future.

Traveler

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Very Interesting, something to keep on the radar!!!!

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

I wish this wasnt going to happen.  ATNT made my visual voicemail stop working (after it had worked fine for the first couple weeks, and when i told them about it they said it wont work with my type of phone), and also my offline music subscription. Now I got the music working fine by removing my sym card. But my phone wasnt a phone anymore.  Then I was forced to wipe my phone bc it insisted I had the password wrong, very funny thing is, now both the offline music and the visual voicemail are working, with the sym card in the phone.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I have had too many weird things happen with ATNT to really believe that.  Visual voicemail is really nice, I used to fail to see when I had a new voicemail.  I really want to keep my symcards removeable.  (I am not blaming atnt for the password messup, it was a blessing to be forced to wipe the phone after all, it could have been just me on that one !)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.