For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
DanQ's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, January 28th, 2004 7:00 AM

Closed

Help on a Nokia 6820

I just can't configure the phone with the right settings because I got the phone from Hong Kong and it's still set up to work with Asian companies. The phone had been "unlocked" and with the help of an AT&T SIM card I can make and receive calls, but the whole internet stuff  is messed up, I can't even send text messages (and there's no need of internet for that) because of the misconfiguration. All I need is the connection settings from any other phone, and if it's the Nokia 6800 much better. Thank you.

Master

• 

2 Messages

20 years ago

Go to this link for the Nokia 6800. This should help you with the settings for this phone.

http://support.attwireless.com/.../DeviceInfo.do?PixelInfo=Nokia-6800-DEVICE_SETUP

Scholar

• 

5 Messages

20 years ago

Are you sure the GPRS side of the device has been unlocked?  Many vendors are able to unlock the voice side, but have issues when unlocking the data side of the device.  Here are your proper settings: 

1. Press Menu.
  2. Scroll to and select Services.
  3. Scroll to and select Settings.
  4. Scroll to and select Connection Settings.
  5. Scroll to and select Edit Active Service Settings.

Verify the following settings:

• Settings' Name:  Home or AWS
  • Homepagehttp://home
  • Proxies: Enable
  • Primary Proxy:  10.25.250.50:8080
  • Secondary Proxy: proxy:0
  • Data Bearer: GPRS
  • Bearer Settings:
    • GPRS access point:  Proxy
    • Authentication:  Secure
    • Login Type:  Automatic
    • UsernameBlank
    • PasswordBlank

Guru

• 

106 Messages

20 years ago

That won't work since the 6820 is a WAP 2.0 phone and the 6800 is a WAP 1.2.1 phone.

• menu
    • Services
      • Settings
        • Connection Settings
          • Edit active service settings
            • Settings name = mMode (or whatever you want)
            • Homepage = http://home
            • Proxies = Enabled
            • Primary proxy = wap.mobile.attwireless.net port 8080
            • Data bearer = GPRS
            • Bearer settings
              • GPRS acess point = proxy
              • Authentication type = Normal
              • Login type = Automatic
              • User Name = (empty - delete if not empty)
              • Password = (empty)
        • Security Settings
          • Cookies = Allow

Hope this helps.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

20 years ago

Thank you very much, that seems to work fine. I'll try to sign for mMode and set it up, and see what happens.

Scholar

• 

10 Messages

20 years ago

@DanQ wrote:
I just can't configure the phone with the right settings because I got the phone from Hong Kong and it's still set up to work with Asian companies. The phone had been "unlocked" and with the help of an AT&T SIM card I can make and receive calls, but the whole internet stuff  is messed up, I can't even send text messages (and there's no need of internet for that) because of the misconfiguration. All I need is the connection settings from any other phone, and if it's the Nokia 6800 much better. Thank you.

Dan, if I may ask how much did you pay for your 6820.... I have been looking forward to this phone for a while and have a friend going to Hong Kong in a few weeks.   Say did you get everyting working, how do you like your 6820?

Mike

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

20 years ago

I'm still working on the configuration, because I can't send multimedia messages nor text messges yet. But the phone is cool. Besides all the internet features it also has camera and VIDEO CAMERA, that's right, you can record audio and video and send it as a MMS. If you're gonna buy it in Hong Kong, make sure the phone is fully "unlocked", so it'll work with any company in America or the rest of the world. You will need a SIM card too, obviously. I paid $360 for it (shipping and handling included). If I get everything working I'll let you know, for now I have access to mMode and almost any website but the problem are the messages.

Guru

• 

106 Messages

20 years ago

Message setings:

• menu to Messages
    • Message settings
      • Text messages
        • Sending profile
          • Default profile
            • Message center = +19078319301
      • Multimedia msgs.
        • Bunch of settings you can set to your prefs.
        • Allow multimedia reception = Yes
        • Incoming multimedia messages = Retrieve
        • Connection settings
          • Edit active multimedia setttings
            • Setting name = AWSMMS
            • Homepage = http://mmsc.mobile.attwireless.net
            • Proxies = Enable
            • Primary proxy = wapmms.mobile.attwireless.net port 8080
            • Data bearer = GPRS
            • Bearer settings
              • GPRS access point = proxy (or blank should work)
              • Authentical type = Normal
              • User name = (blank)
              • Password = (blank)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

20 years ago

The GPRS connectivity of the 6820 will not work because the device does not have a GPRS radio.  The 6820 only transfers data via EDGE.  I was so excited to see this device and almost bought one immediately.  Then I read further to find that it does not support GPRS or 850 mhz GSM.  Sorry, I know that is a real downer.  On the brighter side, when you are in an EDGE area, your connection will be extremely fast 😉

Matt

Professor

• 

86 Messages

20 years ago

@MattK wrote:
The GPRS connectivity of the 6820 will not work because the device does not have a GPRS radio.  The 6820 only transfers data via EDGE.  I was so excited to see this device and almost bought one immediately.  Then I read further to find that it does not support GPRS or 850 mhz GSM.  Sorry, I know that is a real downer.  On the brighter side, when you are in an EDGE area, your connection will be extremely fast 😉

Matt

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=413

Edge is a superset of GPRS.  Any edge device will also do gprs.  The phone DOES do GSM 850 (same thing as GSM 800).  So go buy it!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

20 years ago

I knew that the phone works on GPRS and EDGE modes and it does it perfectly. All I had issues with was the configuration to make it work with AT&T, but I got everything set up already. Thank you very much to everyone for the help.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.