Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HTC One M8, 5.0.2 GPS turns itself on.

Teacher

HTC One M8, 5.0.2 GPS turns itself on.

My phone's GPS turns itself on anytime I make a call, recieve a call, send a text, wake it from a long sleep, or change cell signals. This constantly wakes my phone and drains my battery. I have put the phone into safe mode and it still happens. I have location off, location history off, and maps disabled. It still happens. I wiped the cache after the OTA to 5.0.2 and through frustration did a factory reset. My GPS turns itself on! I have every ATT app disabled and it still turns itself on. Since I can't S-OFF my phone to Properly Root and lock the virus known as "IQ Agent Service" that is causing the problems, how can I fix my phone? This problem was in 4.4.4 and now with the new update to 5.0.2, AT&T has still included the "IQ Agent Service" bug and it is even more troublesome now. How can I fix this problem. I have scoured the entire internet over the last few nights for problably 10-15 hours and this is a known problem in the community and the only solution seams to be to install a custom ROM. How can I correct this problem? Should I just switch to T-Mobile or Verizon? 

Message 1 of 23
Teacher

Re: HTC One M8, 5.0.2 GPS turns itself on.

Message 2 of 23
Teacher

How can I get S-OFF through AT&T to remove this bug?

Message 3 of 23
ACE - Expert

S-off is not an official ATT thing its a hack.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 23
Teacher

So, how do I turn off the AT&T program that is included with my phone's Android software? IQ Agent is not apart of the Android Operating System. It is causing battery drain and I am guessing, logging my location constantly. Is there a way to turn it off? As far as I am concerned my phone is now unusable as I can't rely on it to have a charge when I need it the most. I have a 4 month old and I see this as a safety concern. A replacement phone will not remedy the issue as it is an AT&T specific software problem. Beyond switching carriers, what are my options?  

Message 5 of 23
ACE - Expert

have you done a factory reset since you installed lollipop?  Also have you wiped your cache?

And there are lots of things on the phone that are not part of android

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 23
Teacher

" I wiped the cache after the OTA to 5.0.2 and through frustration did a factory reset." See OP

*Out of all of those things that are not apart of 5.0.2, only one of them is causing an issue. A known issue, that was not fixed with the current rollout.

Message 7 of 23
ACE - Expert

if its that big of a problem then you can goto htcdev.com and have the bootloader unlocked.  You will have to search to find more info since I cant post it on the forums.

Message 8 of 23
Teacher

So to have a quality $700 phone (I am paying for) from AT&T I have to install my own software that voids the warranty?

Message 9 of 23
ACE - Expert

depends on how you term voids.  HTC repaired my m8 without question and I was rooted soff running viper rom.  

Message 10 of 23
Teacher

Nothing is broken with the hardware, it is a software issue. My warranty is with AT&T, not HTC. The problem is AT&T's Software. I shouldn't have to install my own software to correct an AT&T issue. If I brick the phone trying to fix their problem, then I am out a phone that I am still paying on. So, my options are sue AT&T and break my contract, risk breaking my phone to install my own software, or deal with a phone that might not have a charge when I need it to. Before the update I was getting 2-3 days on a charge. I guess I'll take T-Mobile up on their offer and move all 4 lines I have from AT&T. Thank You for the Solution. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 23

I can't understand how they can get away with this, they are using our phones to collect data for them, we should be getting paid for this. I don't want to switch to Tmoble so I'm waiting for my contract to expire and will take all my 5 lines elsewhere.
Message 12 of 23

I would call them, but I hear that's useless.
Message 13 of 23
ACE - Sage

AT&T pushes updates, they don't program all the software.
Have you contacted AT&T at all for repair under warranty?
(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 14 of 23
ACE - Expert

@HitShane wrote:

Nothing is broken with the hardware, it is a software issue. My warranty is with AT&T, not HTC. The problem is AT&T's Software. I shouldn't have to install my own software to correct an AT&T issue. If I brick the phone trying to fix their problem, then I am out a phone that I am still paying on. So, my options are sue AT&T and break my contract, risk breaking my phone to install my own software, or deal with a phone that might not have a charge when I need it to. Before the update I was getting 2-3 days on a charge. I guess I'll take T-Mobile up on their offer and move all 4 lines I have from AT&T. Thank You for the Solution. Smiley Wink

See the bolded text.  Your warranty is with HTC.  ATT will replace the phone for you but they send the old one back to HTC.  The only phones they dont do this for is apple since apple is so tight on control.

And if you were getting 2-3 days out of a charge on an m8 you must not even use your phone.  the phone would only get me a day with 3 to 3.5 hours of screen on time.

Message 15 of 23
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support