Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HTC ONE M8 update to Windows 10

Contributor

HTC ONE M8 update to Windows 10

Does anyone know if the Windows 10 update is available and if so what do I need ot to install it on mt HTC One M8

Message 1 of 16
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Hart3131
‎01-04-2016 4:28 PM

Re: HTC ONE M8 update to Windows 10

Hi @Hart3131!

At this time, Windows 10 has not been released for the M8. You can click this link to keep your device’s software up to date.

Thanks,

Alison

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 16
Contributor

Alison,Thank You for the help. I really like my phone and the Windows interface.

I hope the Windows 10 mobile is a worthy successor........

Message 3 of 16
Contributor

So does this answer mean the HTC One M8 for Windows will eventually get the windows 10 update?  Are we waiting on Microsoft or HTC or AT&T?

Message 4 of 16
ACE - Expert

@eric37

as of right now HTC is saying no updates are planned

Capture.JPG

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 16
ACE - Guru

@eric37 Right now if you want Windows 10 Mobile on the M8 You'll have to join the Windows Insider program. It along with some other planned devices are NOT supported in the the build that was released today.

ODad
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 16
Contributor

Come on HTC, keep your promise of OS update for two years!!

http://www.windowscentral.com/htc-committed-os-updates-htc-one-windows

Message 7 of 16
Contributor

ODad, yup, I've done that.  This pretty much guarantees this is my last HTC phone ever.

Message 8 of 16
ACE - Guru

@eric37 So which build of Windows 10 Mobile did you get on the HTC in the Insider Program? Can you get build 10586.164 ?

ODad
Message 9 of 16
Contributor

10586.164 is apparently the last Win10 insider build this phone will receive.  It's not on the 14xxx development branch and it doesn't appear it will get added anytime soon.  I'm with @eric37, this is the last HTC I will ever buy.  It might just be the last Windows mobile device I buy as well.

Message 10 of 16
Contributor

What I can't figure out is why the M8, technically superior to some of the phones getting a production upgrade, isn't itself getting an upgrade?  It's run the 10xxx Windows 10 development branch for almost a year with only a few builds being bad.

@ATTMobilityCare, is this something you can answer??

Message 11 of 16
ACE - Guru

@t3kg33k I don't think we really know if it will not get builds beyond .164. It certainly may not get anything in the latest development branch. But don't be surprised to see some 8.x devices to fall off that branch if they make it on there. Just depends on how hard they push things.

Me, I wouldn't let that keep me from buying from HTC again; but that's me. You make your decisions for your own reasons; as you should.

ODad
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft says only the following phones will get the 10 upgrade.  This is due that some manufacturer's phones can not accomodate the new software due to different builds I'm told.  MS has put out a upgrade from 8.1 to 10 for the following phones:

Lumia 1520, Lumia 830, Lumia 735, Lumia 640 XL, Lumia 640, Lumia 535

Message 13 of 16
Contributor

I find this whole situation to be very shady.  Having run Windows 10 on the HTC One (M8) without any issues whatsoever for close to a year.  My device was damaged (the dog got ahold of it!) and when I received the replacement, it would not download the Win10 update through Insider Program any longer.  Attempted to restore it from the last backup of the first device with no luck, so I'm back to Windows 8.1 Update 2 and completely dissatisfied with HTC and Microsoft alike (equally since neither is offering a sound explanation of what happened that did away with Windows 10).

As a long-time Windows Phone user, as most of you know, I've already learned to 'overlook' some very noticable shortcomings, most specifically in the Store--I loved the interface so much, however, that I just overlooked the disappointment each time I'd go to download an app that simply didn't exist for this platform.  Still, I remained loyal to Microsoft, happy with the HTC hardware as well, until all of this went down several months ago.  Now, I'm looking more and more at getting something that's either Android or Apple, just because I'm tired of having a phone that's already a "fringe" device, for which the software support was done away with despite the promise of upgrades from both HTC and Microsoft at one time or another. 

You would think with a user-base so much smaller than the top two platforms, Microsoft would have gone out of their way to make sure this upgrade happened through every possible hardware configuration it could, and not focused, solely on the Lumia line for which it holds a vested interest.  Reminds me of the old days when Microsoft's standard operating procedure was to hide behind a their monopolization of various markets--the same monopolization, you may recall, that ended in numerous anti-trust charges, most of which were subsequently proven in court.  Old habits die hard, I suppose.

It makes me sad that I'm going to go from this post to the "SHOP PHONES" link here on AT&T.  

Message 14 of 16
ACE - Master

This appears to have been more of a problem with the HTC/MS relationship, from everything I read about.

Yeah, I'm annoyed at HTC too, they do seem to have abandoned the phone, even though they said they were going to ship W10m for it, when it was initially announced, but they later retracted it (you can find articles about both out there, but they removed the promise of an update from their support site, so they can claim they don't have it officially published anymore).

That said, I have an One M8 running W10m though, it's easy enough, through Insider.  Runs it great too, as does a 1020 we have in the household.

Since we're past the RS1 milestone, you have to flip a special "bit", to be able to download to it now, as a "developer" device.  Given the nature of the forums, that's about all I can say, but suffice it to say that you can find the info, with a pretty simple search.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support