Troubleshoot your device issues
downup's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, October 12th, 2012 6:58 PM

HOW CAN I STOP THE DATA

My smart phone is not working. I am using a plain type phone. I don't need data now.But I have to pay for it $20 per month.How can I stop the data?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

unfortunately no, as long as AT&T's system detects you are using a smartphone a data plan is required to be on the account for your number, once you start using a non-smart phone then and only then do you not have to have a data plan on your line of service.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

And I don't have any cell phone purchasing contracts with AT&T.

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

in order to not be required to have a data package you have to use a phone that AT&T does not quantify as a smartphone.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Do you mean that I need to go  an AT&T and show my phone?

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@downup wrote:

Do you mean that I need to go  an AT&T and show my phone?

You can probably call CC at 1-800-331-0500, or 611 from your phone, and just let them know what type of device you switched over to and have them remove your data plan. That's what I would do, personally. You may even be able to do it under your Online Account Manager.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@wilcre wrote:
unfortunately no, as long as AT&T's system detects you are using a smartphone a data plan is required to be on the account for your number, once you start using a non-smart phone then and only then do you not have to have a data plan on your line of service.

But didn't the OP state that he/she is using a "plain type phone"?? Maybe the plain type phone then, is not a dumbphone, like I'm thinking it is. Sorry, wilcre. 

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

don't say sorry, the OP has not confirmed the make and model of phone that is in use.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@wilcre wrote:
don't say sorry, the OP has not confirmed the make and model of phone that is in use.

True. 😛

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.