Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HELP - Can't unlock phone!

Highlighted

HELP - Can't unlock phone!

Hi,

I have a phone that I received from my company and since they let us keep our phones when we leave I spent extra money to upgrade my phone when I got it. I have since left that company and am now trying to unlock my phone, but keep getting a message saying that the contract is not paid off. As I am not at that company anymore it does not have a cell phone number associated with it and I don't have a way of checking its status. How can I unlock my phone??

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Employee (Employee)
Accepted by Constructive
‎08-13-2019 7:45 AM

Re: HELP - Can't unlock phone!

It doesn't sound like your old company paid off the phone. They would have to do that first. If you confirmed they did pay it off, wait 2-3 weeks for the unlock portal to catch up and then try it again.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4

Thanks! Turned out they had paid it off but I guess it just wasn't reflected in the portal yet as you said....once I found a customer rep that could actually look into it they were able to confirm / send the unlock request!

Message 3 of 4

Oigh - so apparently what the first rep told me was wrong, and they denied the unlock request.

Apparently when I left my old firm, the number was cancelled but the company did not pay the early termination fee because AT&T waived the charge (it is their agreement with the company). Now, they are telling me that in order to unlock the phone, my company has to REOPEN the account and then the early termination fee has to be paid. 

Does anyone have any experience with this?? I doubt I'd be able to get my old company to activate the line again for this...

Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support