Troubleshoot your device issues
drflapjack's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 4:36 AM

[Guide] Getting your Fuze fast, fun, and useable.

Hey everyone, I'm a relatively new WM nerd. I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to flashing ROMs in the least, so when I got my new Fuze today I immediately set out to fix everything I could without replacing the default ROM.

After I did this, I realized there wasn't one cumulative post explaining all the things you should do once you get your Fuze. Obviously I dont take credit for most of this information, since I learned it all from elsewhere. I'm just distributing.

After doing all I did, my memory use with nothing open has gone down Around 8-10%, my phone looks and feels MUCH better, and most of the kinks seem to be gone, and I've only had the phone 2 hours. So here's my suggestions.

1. Get rid of the AT&T Bloatware. This was a bit of an issue at first, because you lose a lot of important things. Here's how to avoid that.
  • Do a hard reset. (Settings -> System -> Clear Storage)
  • When your phone gets back to the configuration screen, go through the calibration/password screens.
  • When it says "Tap here to blahblahblah", tap the screen and IMMEDIATELY push in the soft reset button. (By USB port.) If your timing is right, It'll reboot to the regular windows mobile green today screen.
  • Now, you have to get touchflo running again. Go to programs -> File Explorer. In File explorer go to My Device, then to the Windows folder. Now you've got a TON of files to sort through. Run the following: PT_Manila_Reg .cab, MSFT_Security.cab and WM6_PPC_HTC_Opera9_WWE.cab

2. Now that you've gotten rid of the bloatware and gotten touchflo and opera reinstalled, I made my device a bit less hideous.
Currently mine looks something similar to this:

That's not mine, but it's very similar. Here's how you do that:
  • Download this cab file.
  • Copy the cab to your phone.
  • DISABLE TOUCHFLO BEFORE YOU DO THIS. To do this, go to settings -> Today and uncheck touchflo3D
  • Install the cab file, restart the phone, etc.
  • Go to settings -> Today. Change your theme to HTC black and recheck TouchFLO 3D
  • Now you've got the Flip Clock, the original HTC black theme, and you got rid of that pesky AT&T Tab on the touchflo menu.

Alright, now your phone looks much better and probably runs a bit faster now that the bloat is gone and it's not covered in ATT logos.
Next thing you need to do are registry tweaks. This probably sounds daunting to you if youre not tech saavy, but don't worry, it's not.

• Download Diamondtweak from here.
  • Install it and muddle through everything and set things how you like. If you don't know, either put it on (Advised) or don't mess with it.
  • This'll help even more with performance and overall useability. 

Final thing I did:

Weather Customization. If you don't live in a major city like me, then you probably already noticed that the HTC weather plugin doesnt do you much good. Luckily, there are workarounds for those willing to put forth a bit of effort.

Im not going to explain this fully because I think I'd do more harm than good. XDA Dev has a TON on this subject, and their guides are better than anything I could write. Only things I'm going to add are these:

• You have to run .NET Framework mobile 3.5 for this to work. To install, copy this CAB on to your device and run it.
  • For the fuze, the version you should run of the WeatherDatabaseEditor is Version 1.1 Modified. The rest you should probably be able to find. If your city has a space in it, like Palm Springs, Vero Beach, etc. Youre going to run in to problems with weather codes. Best advice here is if you get the problem, enter in the closest 1-word town instead and just name it what your town is named.
  • For an EXCELLENT guide on this, see XDA devs here. You need an account to download the cab of Weather DBE, but you should get one anyways. XDA Developers are amazing.

Next on the list of things I'm working on is to figure out how to rebind that useless PTT button. If I find an easy way of doing it, I'll try to post here.

Also, just to repeat: I take absolutely NO credit for this information. Most of this is gathered from XDA Devs and Fuzesite.com. Great work to both of them, and my sincerest of thanks.

Hopefully I save you guys some time googling and moreso help you guys get a bit more out of your devices.

-Alex

Voyager

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

I just followed your steps, and they worked great! My only question is - how can I access MEdia Net now? Also, how can I download AT&T Navigator back to my phone?

Scholar

• 

109 Messages

15 years ago

@np032191 wrote:
I just followed your steps, and they worked great! My only question is - how can I access MEdia Net now? Also, how can I download AT&T Navigator back to my phone?

If you open your file explorer and browse to the window's directory, you will find a ton of .cab files that are there but not "installed" on your device.  Locate the .cab file with the program you want to install and click and run.  Even though you didn't install the bloat it's still there Smiley Wink

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

15 years ago

Do I need to de-bloat the ATT from my Fuze? I skipped that part and simply installed the flip-clock as outlined in the OP, and the ATT tab is gone from TouchFlo now (the programs are all still there, however). I can't complain about the speed of the phone or the memory size, so is there any other reason to remove it or can I not bother and not worry that I'm missing something?

Professor

• 

3.8K Messages

15 years ago

@gmfeld wrote:

@wmm wrote:

@drflapjack wrote:
Next on the list of things I'm working on is to figure out how to rebind that useless PTT button.

That's really easy.  There are two steps involved: you have to turn off the PTT service that watches the button and pops up the "do you really want to do this?" message, and then you have to provide other actions for the button presses.  Your interrupting the AT&T customization after the hard reset may already have accomplished the first, but I'll cover it anyway for people who haven't done that.  (There's a more involved version of this over on xda-developers.com, but it does some things that aren't really needed in my experience.)

1) In your favorite registry editor, change the value of HKLM\Services\PTT\Dll from PTTService.dll to an empty string and soft reset.  That will keep the PTT service from running.  (The soft reset is important because the service starts when the phone reboots, so just changing the registry won't stop the service from continuing to run during the current session.)

2) Create shortcuts in \Windows named short_PTT and long_PTT that point to the executables you want to run for a short and a long press of the PTT button, respectively.  For example, if you wanted to make a short press of the PTT button start the camera using the built-in File Explorer, you would navigate to \Windows, tap-and-hold on the "Camera" file and pick "copy" from the pop-up menu; from the Menu button at the lower right, pick Edit->Paste Shortcut; and then  tap-and-hold on the "Shortcut to Camera" file to rename it to short_PTT.

You can also use the shareware application AE Button Plus to map up to four actions to the PTT button (single, double, and triple presses, as well as long press), and the actions can be things like "rotate the screen" or "toggle wifi", not just applications.

In step 1, what does that mean to change the value "to an empty string?"

If you install the new ROM for the Fuze, you dont need to go through this process as you can do this from the settings. No need to edit the registry

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

HELP! I did this and now I can't sync my email with work email using ActiveSync.  Also, I can't access the internet which is what my helpdesk tells me is why the email sync won't work.  Can you help me? 

I'm LOST without my phone!

Floralxprt

Expert

• 

2.4K Messages

14 years ago

@floralxprt wrote:

HELP! I did this and now I can't sync my email with work email using ActiveSync.  Also, I can't access the internet which is what my helpdesk tells me is why the email sync won't work.  Can you help me? 

I'm LOST without my phone!

Floralxprt

When you connect your phone via ActiveSync, it should tell you that it's a new device and will prompt you to sync with your work mail server.  You will need to re-enter your MediaNet settings (do a search for this) in order to access the internet again and be able to receive MMS messages.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.