For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
drflapjack's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 4:36 AM

[Guide] Getting your Fuze fast, fun, and useable.

Hey everyone, I'm a relatively new WM nerd. I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to flashing ROMs in the least, so when I got my new Fuze today I immediately set out to fix everything I could without replacing the default ROM.

After I did this, I realized there wasn't one cumulative post explaining all the things you should do once you get your Fuze. Obviously I dont take credit for most of this information, since I learned it all from elsewhere. I'm just distributing.

After doing all I did, my memory use with nothing open has gone down Around 8-10%, my phone looks and feels MUCH better, and most of the kinks seem to be gone, and I've only had the phone 2 hours. So here's my suggestions.

1. Get rid of the AT&T Bloatware. This was a bit of an issue at first, because you lose a lot of important things. Here's how to avoid that.
  • Do a hard reset. (Settings -> System -> Clear Storage)
  • When your phone gets back to the configuration screen, go through the calibration/password screens.
  • When it says "Tap here to blahblahblah", tap the screen and IMMEDIATELY push in the soft reset button. (By USB port.) If your timing is right, It'll reboot to the regular windows mobile green today screen.
  • Now, you have to get touchflo running again. Go to programs -> File Explorer. In File explorer go to My Device, then to the Windows folder. Now you've got a TON of files to sort through. Run the following: PT_Manila_Reg .cab, MSFT_Security.cab and WM6_PPC_HTC_Opera9_WWE.cab

2. Now that you've gotten rid of the bloatware and gotten touchflo and opera reinstalled, I made my device a bit less hideous.
Currently mine looks something similar to this:

That's not mine, but it's very similar. Here's how you do that:
  • Download this cab file.
  • Copy the cab to your phone.
  • DISABLE TOUCHFLO BEFORE YOU DO THIS. To do this, go to settings -> Today and uncheck touchflo3D
  • Install the cab file, restart the phone, etc.
  • Go to settings -> Today. Change your theme to HTC black and recheck TouchFLO 3D
  • Now you've got the Flip Clock, the original HTC black theme, and you got rid of that pesky AT&T Tab on the touchflo menu.

Alright, now your phone looks much better and probably runs a bit faster now that the bloat is gone and it's not covered in ATT logos.
Next thing you need to do are registry tweaks. This probably sounds daunting to you if youre not tech saavy, but don't worry, it's not.

• Download Diamondtweak from here.
  • Install it and muddle through everything and set things how you like. If you don't know, either put it on (Advised) or don't mess with it.
  • This'll help even more with performance and overall useability. 

Final thing I did:

Weather Customization. If you don't live in a major city like me, then you probably already noticed that the HTC weather plugin doesnt do you much good. Luckily, there are workarounds for those willing to put forth a bit of effort.

Im not going to explain this fully because I think I'd do more harm than good. XDA Dev has a TON on this subject, and their guides are better than anything I could write. Only things I'm going to add are these:

• You have to run .NET Framework mobile 3.5 for this to work. To install, copy this CAB on to your device and run it.
  • For the fuze, the version you should run of the WeatherDatabaseEditor is Version 1.1 Modified. The rest you should probably be able to find. If your city has a space in it, like Palm Springs, Vero Beach, etc. Youre going to run in to problems with weather codes. Best advice here is if you get the problem, enter in the closest 1-word town instead and just name it what your town is named.
  • For an EXCELLENT guide on this, see XDA devs here. You need an account to download the cab of Weather DBE, but you should get one anyways. XDA Developers are amazing.

Next on the list of things I'm working on is to figure out how to rebind that useless PTT button. If I find an easy way of doing it, I'll try to post here.

Also, just to repeat: I take absolutely NO credit for this information. Most of this is gathered from XDA Devs and Fuzesite.com. Great work to both of them, and my sincerest of thanks.

Hopefully I save you guys some time googling and moreso help you guys get a bit more out of your devices.

-Alex

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

15 years ago

OK, I did all your tweaks, and they all work flawlessly, except...I am missing some type in alot of screens while in Landscape mode.  I remember something about a ClearType thing in the Kaiser Tweak on my Tilt, so I tried disabling that.  Nothing works, so far.

Guru

• 

642 Messages

15 years ago

kymbesha wrote:
OK, I did all your tweaks, and they all work flawlessly, except...I am missing some type in alot of screens while in Landscape mode.  I remember something about a ClearType thing in the Kaiser Tweak on my Tilt, so I tried disabling that.  Nothing works, so far.

Might try this link:

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

15 years ago

I figured it out.....well sorta.  It fixed itself when I soft reset.  Dunno what was causing it.

OK, another question.  Can I keep the flip clock, and change the background?  It seems to not recognize when I choose HTC Black and then choose a pic as background.

Scholar

• 

295 Messages

15 years ago

OK, I did a hard reset and bypassed the AT&T bloatware, now I notice 2 unusual behaviors:

1.  I have been running Ariel Battery 2, a neat little battery monitor.  Now, every time I do a soft reset the battery monitor does not launch and I have to go into file explorer and launch it.  This was not happening until after I did the hard reset and bloatware bypass;

2.  same with the BtOnOff little program I downloaded somewhere.  I was able to set that up in my program tab in TF3D.  Now, it does not appear in my program list, and when I hit the cab file it turns bluetooth on (or off), but I can't use it in any program launcher-it simply does not show up.  Again, until I reset and skipped bloatware, this was not happening.

Any help would be welcome.

Scholar

• 

295 Messages

15 years ago

@gmfeld wrote:
OK, I did a hard reset and bypassed the AT&T bloatware, now I notice 2 unusual behaviors:

1.  I have been running Ariel Battery 2, a neat little battery monitor.  Now, every time I do a soft reset the battery monitor does not launch and I have to go into file explorer and launch it.  This was not happening until after I did the hard reset and bloatware bypass;

2.  same with the BtOnOff little program I downloaded somewhere.  I was able to set that up in my program tab in TF3D.  Now, it does not appear in my program list, and when I hit the cab file it turns bluetooth on (or off), but I can't use it in any program launcher-it simply does not show up.  Again, until I reset and skipped bloatware, this was not happening.

Any help would be welcome.

Ignore previous post, I figured it out-I had neglected to place both files in the windows/startup folder. I just did and they are both working fine.

Scholar

• 

209 Messages

15 years ago

I like the original HTC black theme and am thinking about putting that on but I've heard that it can slow down TF3d as the other poster mentioned earlier on this thread.  What do you all think?  Any lag in switching the theme over to the HTC black??

Expert

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

@rvt1000 wrote:
I like the original HTC black theme and am thinking about putting that on but I've heard that it can slow down TF3d as the other poster mentioned earlier on this thread.  What do you all think?  Any lag in switching the theme over to the HTC black??

If you install the "add-on" theme from the XDA Diamond forums, it will slow your TF3D down.  However, if you use HERG's version posted above, you will not see a degrade in performance because this actually replaces the ATT Tab theme.  Fuzemobility has the rundown on this if you care to read more about it Smiley Wink

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

15 years ago

@wmm wrote:

@drflapjack wrote:
Next on the list of things I'm working on is to figure out how to rebind that useless PTT button.

That's really easy.  There are two steps involved: you have to turn off the PTT service that watches the button and pops up the "do you really want to do this?" message, and then you have to provide other actions for the button presses.  Your interrupting the AT&T customization after the hard reset may already have accomplished the first, but I'll cover it anyway for people who haven't done that.  (There's a more involved version of this over on xda-developers.com, but it does some things that aren't really needed in my experience.)

1) In your favorite registry editor, change the value of HKLM\Services\PTT\Dll from PTTService.dll to an empty string and soft reset.  That will keep the PTT service from running.  (The soft reset is important because the service starts when the phone reboots, so just changing the registry won't stop the service from continuing to run during the current session.)

2) Create shortcuts in \Windows named short_PTT and long_PTT that point to the executables you want to run for a short and a long press of the PTT button, respectively.  For example, if you wanted to make a short press of the PTT button start the camera using the built-in File Explorer, you would navigate to \Windows, tap-and-hold on the "Camera" file and pick "copy" from the pop-up menu; from the Menu button at the lower right, pick Edit->Paste Shortcut; and then  tap-and-hold on the "Shortcut to Camera" file to rename it to short_PTT.

You can also use the shareware application AE Button Plus to map up to four actions to the PTT button (single, double, and triple presses, as well as long press), and the actions can be things like "rotate the screen" or "toggle wifi", not just applications.

When creating the shortcuts short_PPT and long_PPT, how do I do that exactly? On the phone? On my comp? I'm running TotalCommander at the moment.

Expert

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

@coolnammy1 wrote:

@wmm wrote:

@drflapjack wrote:
Next on the list of things I'm working on is to figure out how to rebind that useless PTT button.

That's really easy.  There are two steps involved: you have to turn off the PTT service that watches the button and pops up the "do you really want to do this?" message, and then you have to provide other actions for the button presses.  Your interrupting the AT&T customization after the hard reset may already have accomplished the first, but I'll cover it anyway for people who haven't done that.  (There's a more involved version of this over on xda-developers.com, but it does some things that aren't really needed in my experience.)

1) In your favorite registry editor, change the value of HKLM\Services\PTT\Dll from PTTService.dll to an empty string and soft reset.  That will keep the PTT service from running.  (The soft reset is important because the service starts when the phone reboots, so just changing the registry won't stop the service from continuing to run during the current session.)

2) Create shortcuts in \Windows named short_PTT and long_PTT that point to the executables you want to run for a short and a long press of the PTT button, respectively.  For example, if you wanted to make a short press of the PTT button start the camera using the built-in File Explorer, you would navigate to \Windows, tap-and-hold on the "Camera" file and pick "copy" from the pop-up menu; from the Menu button at the lower right, pick Edit->Paste Shortcut; and then  tap-and-hold on the "Shortcut to Camera" file to rename it to short_PTT.

You can also use the shareware application AE Button Plus to map up to four actions to the PTT button (single, double, and triple presses, as well as long press), and the actions can be things like "rotate the screen" or "toggle wifi", not just applications.

When creating the shortcuts short_PPT and long_PPT, how do I do that exactly? On the phone? On my comp? I'm running TotalCommander at the moment.

Another method is to go to your PC, open up Notepad and type in the following: 20#"\Windows\Camera.exe"

Save it as a shortcut called short_PTT (if camera is the program you want to use as your short press PTT) then use ActiveSnyc and move it to your phone's Windows directory.

Message Edited by hidden_dragon on 11-26-2008 10:18:55 PM

Scholar

• 

209 Messages

15 years ago

hidden_dragon wrote:

If you install the "add-on" theme from the XDA Diamond forums, it will slow your TF3D down.  However, if you use HERG's version posted above, you will not see a degrade in performance because this actually replaces the ATT Tab theme.  Fuzemobility has the rundown on this if you care to read more about it Smiley Wink

Dragon:  I was reading on fuzemobility that installing the cab will rewrite the manilla files and thus you lose the ATT stock stuff unless you hard reset.  What all is lost?  I know the ATT tab is lost, the clock style, and the color.  Anything else I should know about before I give it a go?
Thanks.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.