For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
ilikewireless's profile

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 3:43 AM

Getting charged for data use when on WiFi

I get charged for data use while on WiFi, with 3G cellular radio turned on but with 3G data off.

To prevent being charged for data while on WiFi, I had to put my phone in Airplane Mode, then turn on WiFi. I am posting here just to report a problem to fellow smartphone users. However, in the Airplane Mode, I cannot receive or make a callSmiley Sad

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

Change the wifi sleep policy to never or turn the 3G mobile network off when you will have the wifi connection on for an extended time.

Go to settings > wireless & networks > wifi settings > menu > Advanced > wifi sleep policy > change to never

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

13 years ago

Ann154 wrote:
Change the wifi sleep policy to never or turn the 3G mobile network off when you will have the wifi connection on for an extended time.

Go to settings > wireless & networks > wifi settings > menu > Advanced > wifi sleep policy > change to never

I checked the WiFi sleep policy. It's been at NEVER all the time.

This morning, I use WiFi again with 3G talk and text functioning but 3G data network OFF.

Well, the good news is that I am not charged for data use. Whatever happened yesterday I don't know.

The bad news is - well there's noneSmiley Very Happy

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Call into tech support or if you have a local device support center take it there and see what they could figure out. Worst case scenario if having to exchange your phone. 🙂

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

13 years ago

Great suggestion 😉
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.