For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Shokirov's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, March 30th, 2015 2:05 AM

Fraud Insurance Claim

Recently, I bought from Ebay a new Samsung S5 with ATT logo and before make payment I asked from seller about clean IMEI number and he confirmed it. I made and receive phone and started to use it, but in 3rd day the phone was blocked. I call to ATT and they said the phone was claimed as stolen by previuos owner. Even though I was protected by Ebay money back guarantee program, I was very disappointed by seller fraud activity, so I called to ATT lost device team department and reported this false claim.

However, representative of this department totally ignored my report and didnt want to take my report. She said that in order to do something I had to provide original tel number of this phone, provide with name and date of birth of original owner of this phone. When I explained that I dont have these information, she offered another way: original owner of this phone can call and provide this info. Honestly I was shocked. How person who made fraud claim to ATT can call and admit this thing.I tried to give IMEI number of this phone, but she said it isnt acceptable.  So I dont understand why ATT employee dont care about such thing because I didnt speak with just simple ATT employee, I spoke exactly with the right employee who should investigate and prevent company from such fraudelent activities.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

All you can and should do, is turn the locked up phone to an AT&T store. They will most likely throw it out. It was already covered by insurance by the previous owner.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

Are you sure it was a false claim and you didn't purchase it from the thief? A false claim allegation can be serious to the other person. When purchasing a used cell phone I always check the imei on swappa.com. I figure if the seller refuses to give it then I probably don't want the phone anyway.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I bought it in auction. The phone was 7 days there and seller publicly put photos, including photo with IMEI numbers. So it was definitely clean. I received this phone after 5-6 days and I used it about 3-4 days. So totally about 16-17 days. How do you think could thief wait so many days and post photos on Ebay with real address and financial info. I could understand if it cost million $.

I believe this is real owner who waited and claimed exactly next day when I confirmed that phone is OK and dont have any problem.

But OK let me guess, what was if it was thief who sold me this phone? What would change in this situation? 

I apologize but I didnt understand your point. My concerns only with ATT employee who should act properly. In ATT website it clearly says, when you find about fraud etc... activities immediately call to us and when I called to LOST DEVICE DEPARTMENT, explained everything and said phone wasnt lost, it is on my hand, they told me Please contact with previous owner and only this peson can report that it wasnt lost. I expected different attention. I thought they asked me more questions, promise to investigate this info, contact with official owner. However, they totally ignored my call, no interest at all.    

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thankfully I received my money from EBAY Protection, but I wasted my time to take yor attention. It passed already more than 10 days, but no reaction from AT&T and it seems I need to close this topic because they don't care at all. Definitely, I cant judge company by its useless employees, but my message is kind of specific.

Shame, shame and one more time shame to AT&T Stolen Device Department.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.