Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 2, 2011
7:03:12 PM
View profile
Edge status icon question

I have an unlocked Nokia C3 and have had some problems setting it up correctly with the AT&T network.

When the phone is unused, the "E" Edge status icon is on the screen, but if I make a phone call, a line goes through the "E".  Does this mean that the Edge is not working correctly with the settings I have on it? 

I drew a picture of what it looks like during a phonecall.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I have an unlocked Nokia C3 and have had some problems setting it up correctly with the AT&T network.

When the phone is unused, the "E" Edge status icon is on the screen, but if I make a phone call, a line goes through the "E".  Does this mean that the Edge is not working correctly with the settings I have on it? 

I drew a picture of what it looks like during a phonecall.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 3, 2011 5:48:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Feb 3, 2011 at 5:48:47 AM

I presume you have the C3-00 with the QWERTY keyboard?  (Not the C3-01 with just a numeric keypad.  lol.  I hate Nokia's naming scheme these days. Smiley Sad )

If I'm correct, then I believe your phone is simply indicating you don't have access to the data network while you are on a phone call.  GPRS/Edge are data only services - not voice; and the C3-00 is not a 3G phone, so there is no simultaneous use of voice and data with it.  When the "E" is not lined through, it is indicating that data service is available and ready for use. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Edge status icon question

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 3, 2011 5:48:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Feb 3, 2011 at 5:48:47 AM

I presume you have the C3-00 with the QWERTY keyboard?  (Not the C3-01 with just a numeric keypad.  lol.  I hate Nokia's naming scheme these days. Smiley Sad )

If I'm correct, then I believe your phone is simply indicating you don't have access to the data network while you are on a phone call.  GPRS/Edge are data only services - not voice; and the C3-00 is not a 3G phone, so there is no simultaneous use of voice and data with it.  When the "E" is not lined through, it is indicating that data service is available and ready for use. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Edge status icon question

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (2,618 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 8:36:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yes, it's the C3-00, and that answers my question.  I didn't know Edge was a data only protocol.  Thanks for the help.

Yes, it's the C3-00, and that answers my question.  I didn't know Edge was a data only protocol.  Thanks for the help.

3 of 4 (2,603 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 4:42:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

4 of 4 (2,563 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments