Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 5, 2011
3:29:51 PM
View profile
Ebay member scammed me, sent iphone back to me w/o SIM card!

Hi all,

I hope you can answer this. I got scammed by a buyer on Ebay. It looks like I am not the only one yet Ebay continues to allow this. I sold a perfectly good working iPhone 3G (second gen). Once he got it, he said the phone was broken because he tried to put a SIM card into it and it didn't work. He called me a fraud, opened a case, left negative feedback all in one day while I was at work.

He sent the phone back WITHOUT the SIM card and Ebay refunded his entire amount. Somehow I knew he was going to do that. He pulled a switcheroo on me. I dealt with Ebay but they don't care. They refunded his money and while I got my phone back, it's missing the SIM card. 

Can someone please explain if I am in any kind of danger with this? I think the guy is doing "funny" business. Now that he has my SIM card (I wiped the phone before I sold it) is there anything he can do illegally that would cause me problems down the road? I'm really concerned. 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi all,

I hope you can answer this. I got scammed by a buyer on Ebay. It looks like I am not the only one yet Ebay continues to allow this. I sold a perfectly good working iPhone 3G (second gen). Once he got it, he said the phone was broken because he tried to put a SIM card into it and it didn't work. He called me a fraud, opened a case, left negative feedback all in one day while I was at work.

He sent the phone back WITHOUT the SIM card and Ebay refunded his entire amount. Somehow I knew he was going to do that. He pulled a switcheroo on me. I dealt with Ebay but they don't care. They refunded his money and while I got my phone back, it's missing the SIM card. 

Can someone please explain if I am in any kind of danger with this? I think the guy is doing "funny" business. Now that he has my SIM card (I wiped the phone before I sold it) is there anything he can do illegally that would cause me problems down the road? I'm really concerned. 

Thanks in advance. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 6, 2011 9:12:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Alright. You can take the weight off your shoulders now, as the buyer cannot obtain any personal or account information from you as the SIM you sent him was deactivated. So it's almost as if it doesn't matter if he shipped it back to you or not, although in reality, he should have. I know I would have included everything that was originally in the packaging.

Oh, you noticed my cat? Thanks. I know how you feel...her name lives on in my Forum account here. Smiley Happy

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Ebay member scammed me, sent iphone back to me w/o SIM card!

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 8:00:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Sorry to hear about your ideal...it seems that the buyer of your old iPhone is insecure with his purchases...

Now, some questions to answer:

1. The SIM that you included with the purchase of the phone, was it your personal, currently activated SIM? Or was it an old deactivated one that he could not use?
2. Do you have a newer phone that you could [might] have placed your currently activated SIM in and gave him an old one?

If you have your current SIM containing your phone number and account information and gave him a spare or an old one, you need not worry. The old one has probably since been deactivated and a spare, well, he could just activate that himself without any of your information on it.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Sorry to hear about your ideal...it seems that the buyer of your old iPhone is insecure with his purchases...

Now, some questions to answer:

1. The SIM that you included with the purchase of the phone, was it your personal, currently activated SIM? Or was it an old deactivated one that he could not use?
2. Do you have a newer phone that you could [might] have placed your currently activated SIM in and gave him an old one?

If you have your current SIM containing your phone number and account information and gave him a spare or an old one, you need not worry. The old one has probably since been deactivated and a spare, well, he could just activate that himself without any of your information on it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Ebay member scammed me, sent iphone back to me w/o SIM card!

2 of 6 (2,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 8:10:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
Yes, it was my personal SIM card but it was wiped and deactivated before I sent it out.

I never open iPhones.. all this SIM card stuff is foreign to me. I have a new phone yes. But, I had never opened my old iPhone.

Before I sold it, I deactivated it and activated my new iPhone. So, as you say, I have nothing to worry about. I just don't know why he would put me through all that and then send me back the phone without the SIM card. So strange!

I see your kitty. I had one that I had from 1993 to 2009. She was near and dear to me. Broke my heart when she passed.
Yes, it was my personal SIM card but it was wiped and deactivated before I sent it out.

I never open iPhones.. all this SIM card stuff is foreign to me. I have a new phone yes. But, I had never opened my old iPhone.

Before I sold it, I deactivated it and activated my new iPhone. So, as you say, I have nothing to worry about. I just don't know why he would put me through all that and then send me back the phone without the SIM card. So strange!

I see your kitty. I had one that I had from 1993 to 2009. She was near and dear to me. Broke my heart when she passed.

3 of 6 (2,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 8:27:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Once a SIM is deactivated, it is useless. It cannot be reactivated. Your are out nothing as the SIM was useless.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Once a SIM is deactivated, it is useless. It cannot be reactivated. Your are out nothing as the SIM was useless.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

4 of 6 (2,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 6, 2011 9:12:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Alright. You can take the weight off your shoulders now, as the buyer cannot obtain any personal or account information from you as the SIM you sent him was deactivated. So it's almost as if it doesn't matter if he shipped it back to you or not, although in reality, he should have. I know I would have included everything that was originally in the packaging.

Oh, you noticed my cat? Thanks. I know how you feel...her name lives on in my Forum account here. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

5 of 6 (2,128 Views)
Solution
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 9:39:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:54:01 AM

French Maid wrote:

Probably just an accident, but deactivated SIMs can be a useful thing to have on hand.  They allow you to get past the "insert SIM" message for access to data stored within a phone's memory, such as contacts and photos, or to use the device's non-cellular wireless functions, such as WiFi, bluetooth, etc. 

Since you'd wiped all the personal data off your old iPhone and the SIM had already been deactivated before you sent the phone to the purchaser, there should be no need for you to worry about it; but it could be a reason why someone would remove and hang on to a deactivated SIM.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

French Maid wrote:

Probably just an accident, but deactivated SIMs can be a useful thing to have on hand.  They allow you to get past the "insert SIM" message for access to data stored within a phone's memory, such as contacts and photos, or to use the device's non-cellular wireless functions, such as WiFi, bluetooth, etc. 

Since you'd wiped all the personal data off your old iPhone and the SIM had already been deactivated before you sent the phone to the purchaser, there should be no need for you to worry about it; but it could be a reason why someone would remove and hang on to a deactivated SIM.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (2,067 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments