Troubleshoot your device issues
shelston's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, October 23rd, 2008 1:45 AM

Closed

EPIX - WiFi not working?

I can't seem to browse the internet when WiFi is on and connected... It hangs on "Locating ...". Has anyone gotten this to work successfully?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

15 years ago

You need to turn off the ATT proxy so that IE is not trying to contact the proxy (only available when using the cellular connection) for IE to work over WiFi. Note that when the proxy is off, you can't get to the ATT sites such as device.home, cellular video, etc.

Go to Start | Settings | Connections tab. Turn ON the checkbox for "Do not use a proxy server (this setting will apply to Internet Explorer only.)"

Message Edited by mskovrinskie on 10-23-2008 05:51:08 AM

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

I got the same problem, I called ATT and they told me Wi-Fi is not within their services!!!!!! I mean what kind of answer is that? I am going to call Samsung tomm. hopefully i can get some anwers.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

I installed Opera Mobile 9.5 and it works fine with WiFi. I guess this must be some IE issue...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks, it works now.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

Just got an EPIX tonight and I cannot get Internet Explorer working over WIFI, get the same connect failed error that the thread strarter had.

Before I found this thread I was poking around the various network settings and maybe tripped something up, though I am fairly certain it is all as it was, at least for the WLAN network card. Can someone tell me what their settings are? My wifi connection connects to "The Internet", my network card connects to "The Internet", all the adapter settings are "use server assigned IP address". I tried toggling the Proxy setting mentioned on this thread both on and off, but no change with either.

I can get connected to the WIFI network and appear to have an IP address (verified it on my access point and the IP shows under the SyChip Jaguar WLAN card's network adapter settings and can ping the IP so I'm confident the connection is working). I guess I could install Opera but come on, this thing is two hours old and I may be taking it back.

Needless to say this experience has been a huge disappointment, hard to believe Microsoft cannot make a mobile OS that is easy and that works, though maybe it's the Samsung, or ATT?
Thanks for any pointers
Mike S

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

Have you tried using another internet app? Try Opera or Palringo...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

I got it working, I did a hard reset, added a wifi connection, checked/selected the Proxy setting to On and it's golden. I think in the ATT store people had messed with it before me.

Mike S

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks mskovrinskie, you were spot on.  I did had a minor detail in making this work, so I thought I would re-iterate:

1: Prepare your phone to use either WiFi OR Cellular Data:

* Access Proxy Manager (Start>Settings>Connections Tab>Proxy Manager icon)
 * Check Do not use a proxy server

2: Turn on WiFi to use a wifi connection:

* Access Wireless Manager (Start>Settings>Connections Tab>Wireless Manager icon)
  * Turn Wi-Fi on

3: Turn off WiFi to use a Cellular Data connection:

* Access Wireless Manager (Start>Settings>Connections Tab>Wireless Manager icon)
  * Turn Wi-Fi off

Note: 

Disabling the Proxy Server will cause ATT websites such as device.home and cellular video to fail.  Re-enable Proxy Server use if you wish to use these services.

Thanks so much, mskovrinskie.  I was on the phone with ATT Tech Support when I found your note, and solved the problem.

Message Edited by hoffswell on 10-25-2008 08:35:30 AM

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

Here is the proper route to fixing the WIFI ISSUE
-->START-->SETTINGS--->CONNECTIONS TAB----->PROXY MANAGER--->PUT A CHECK IN THE BOX---->O.K. WITH YOUR MOUSE--->
CLOSE DOWN EVERYTHING--->START---->SETTINGS---->CONNECTIONS TAB---->WIRELESS MANAGER--->POINT MOUSE  TO WIFI---->
CLICK ON--->DONE.......MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE AAILABLE NETWORK OF YOUR CHOICE......THEN CLOSE EVERYTHING DOWN....AND OPEN UP INTERNET EXPLORER AND START SURFING.....TO VERIFY ALL S WELL....POINT TO THE BARS ON TOP WITH YOUR MOUSE AND YOUR CHOSEN NETWORK NAME SHOULD SHOW UP....IF SO...YOU'RE ALL GOOD.....IF NOT GET OUT....OR LOG OUT...BECAUSE YOU WILL BE USING YOUR PROVIDER'S SERVICES INSTEAD OF USING YOUR CHOSEN NETWORK FOR FREE...
I OWE THE SUCCESS TO THIS WONDERFUL GUY NAME: mskovrinskie....THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP....IT REALLY GOT MY WIFI WORKING FINALLY WITH INTERNET EXPLORER....

BY Manuel Peter and thanks to Mskovrinskie....

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

Excellent!  None of the other solutions worked to allow browsing via WiFi until I performed a Hard Reset.  A Hard Reset and following the setup steps as described solved the connection problem without further issues.

To perform a Hard Reset:

1. Start -> Settings -> System (tab)
2. Select the Hard Reset icon
3. Select only to reset the Device (NOT SIM or Memory Card)
4. Enter the provided password to hard reset the device.

*Note: As a side benifit, after the reset, the scroll bar which previously did not function when using the touch screen now functions. 

Now .... follow the detailed setup procedure as outline by sinkupro

" Here is the proper route to fixing the WIFI ISSUE
-->START-->SETTINGS--->CONNECTIONS TAB----->PROXY MANAGER--->PUT A CHECK IN THE BOX---->O.K. WITH YOUR MOUSE--->
CLOSE DOWN EVERYTHING--->START---->SETTINGS---->CONNECTIONS TAB---->WIRELESS MANAGER--->POINT MOUSE  TO WIFI---->
CLICK ON--->DONE.......MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE AAILABLE NETWORK OF YOUR CHOICE......THEN CLOSE EVERYTHING DOWN....AND OPEN UP INTERNET EXPLORER AND START SURFING.....TO VERIFY ALL S WELL....POINT TO THE BARS ON TOP WITH YOUR MOUSE AND YOUR CHOSEN NETWORK NAME SHOULD SHOW UP....IF SO...YOU'RE ALL GOOD.....IF NOT GET OUT....OR LOG OUT...BECAUSE YOU WILL BE USING YOUR PROVIDER'S SERVICES INSTEAD OF USING YOUR CHOSEN NETWORK FOR FREE...
I OWE THE SUCCESS TO THIS WONDERFUL GUY NAME: mskovrinskie....THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP....IT REALLY GOT MY WIFI WORKING FINALLY WITH INTERNET EXPLORER....

BY Manuel Peter and thanks to Mskovrinskie...."

I recommend doing a Hard Reset as soon as you receive the phone.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.