Troubleshoot your device issues
New-to-cell's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, March 20th, 2011 3:11 AM

Dragged kicking and screaming into getting a cellphone

So, I have finally decided to get a cell phone (my 75 yoa mother has had one for years!).  My question is should I get the 18 dollar rehabbed 8mb(?) i-phone and wait to see what happens with the i-phone 5?  Will I be able to upgrade to newer/better i-phone right away or will I have to wait for a set period of time?

Any feedback would be appreciated as I am reeallly new at this - thank you

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

I love the title of your discussion:"Dragged, kicking and screaming....into getting a cellphone".

Yep, if your grandma already had a cellphone and you are just now getting one, sounds like you are one of those that avoided this new age as loooong as you could... you'd definitely be happy with a simple phone first, then you can toy with some of your relatives and friends various phones to see which you really like.

For me, id ont want a phone that i cant change the battery myself, that doesnt have SIM cards, that doesnt let me even change the ringtone to something "I" create rather than have to 'rent' a ringtone from an app and when my phone goes, so does the rented items (lol). 

....by the way, you guys remember the TechnoTwins ATT commercial... using a clip of it as a ringtone... (off topic i know

(Greg's phone, Slad and Veter!! whoooo!)

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

13 years ago

@LoudThud wrote:
I think FredW meant,if you're NOT a technophobe.....I think he also meant,technophile?

No, I meant it as I typed it.  Technophobe is one who avoids or has fear of technology.  As opposed to a technophile, who has a love of technology.

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

I believe LoudThud meant that as a "play on words" out of fun. I got what he was saying, was funny how the words meshes. 😄

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

13 years ago

Im sorry. I really thought it should be meant the other way around. What makes you think hes a technophobe,as in intimidated by the technology? Hes just a newbie that interested in the technology. Not Phobic...

Guru

• 

737 Messages

13 years ago

I second FredW's advice to go into a corporate AT&T store and try out the live phones.  You are right, you really don't want to be stuck for up to two years with a phone you do not like.  Ask your friends what phones they have and what they like and dislike about them.  Go online and search for cell phone reviews-phonearena.com has many-and then go experiment with the phones yourself.  That way you can see if you like a touch screen or would prefer a physical keyboard-or want a flip or slider.

I don't really agree about not to start with a smartphone.  They are so useful.  I love having one.   The iPhone is a very easy phone to use; starting with it is not difficult at all. 

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

... and while you at it,  go over to this discussion  , review so to make sure you dont choose one of these phones.. lol.. (kidding, enjoy your analysis).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.