For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
New-to-cell's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, March 20th, 2011 3:11 AM

Dragged kicking and screaming into getting a cellphone

So, I have finally decided to get a cell phone (my 75 yoa mother has had one for years!).  My question is should I get the 18 dollar rehabbed 8mb(?) i-phone and wait to see what happens with the i-phone 5?  Will I be able to upgrade to newer/better i-phone right away or will I have to wait for a set period of time?

Any feedback would be appreciated as I am reeallly new at this - thank you

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

I would personally wait if your set on wanting an iPhone.

If you get a subsidized phone you are locked into a 2 year contract.  Also you probably won't be eligible for an upgrade for about 18-22 months into your 2 year contract.

So if you go the cheap basic phone you would be stuck with it unless you were willing to pay full price for one.

You can buy a GoPhone (prepaid) in the meantime to use or buy a cheap phone off ebay (be sure its ATT branded or is unlocked and supports the 850/1900Mhz frequencies ATT uses.

If you have a phone already and start service with ATT you can go strait month-2month without having to sign a two year contract since you brought your own phone and didn't get a subsidized one.  Then you would be able to upgrade anytime you want as you would not be in contract.  If you do go strait month-2-month be sure to look at your contract sheet before you leave to make sure they do not put you on a contract,  Then I would also log in to your online account manager and check there also.  Its hard to fix if they mess up and you wait.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

737 Messages

13 years ago

If you buy and phone and enter into a contract with AT&T you will not be able to upgrade until at least twenty months later.  If you might be interested in the iPhone5, then you could just get a GoPhone for now and pay for minutes when you need them until it is released.  Or, you can borrow a phone from someone or buy an inexpensive phone from ebay or Craigslist, bring it to AT&T to use and wait for the iPhone5.  When it comes out you can then enter into a 2 year contract and get the discounted price on it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@ormom51 wrote:

If you buy and phone and enter into a contract with AT&T you will not be able to upgrade until at least twenty months later.  If you might be interested in the iPhone5, then you could just get a GoPhone for now and pay for minutes when you need them until it is released.  Or, you can borrow a phone from someone or buy an inexpensive phone from ebay or Craigslist, bring it to AT&T to use and wait for the iPhone5.  When it comes out you can then enter into a 2 year contract and get the discounted price on it.

I agree with ormom51. You could temporarily get a cheap GoPhone for now until the iPhone 5 is released. It's already pretty much well-explained, so there's not really a need to further elaborate on this. I agree with both Planet-Ed and ormom51. The prepaid GoPhone (for now) sounds like the way to go. Then get your hands on an iPhone 5 when the time comes.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you all, I did not know the phones were subsidized, I would have been really unhappy to be stuck with a phone I wasn't really interested in for 1-2 years. 

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@New-to-cell wrote:

Thank you all, I did not know the phones were subsidized, I would have been really unhappy to be stuck with a phone I wasn't really interested in for 1-2 years. 

You're welcome. I would also want to be happy with the phone I chose if I were to be having it for that long of a time frame. Have fun with your new iPhone 5 when the time comes around. 😉

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

13 years ago

Nowadays the technology is coming so fast that its best to wait,if you can. The phones that are coming out in the next 3-4 months will be amazing. Personally,I don't like the iPhone lines. Any phone that you can't replace the the battery in,I would avoid. There's no way to swap batteries in the iPhone. Within 6-7 months there will be phones that will turn most of these fake "4G" phones into paper weights! Look at the Atrix. It is the first dual core phone on AT&T. Blazing fast. But,triple and quad core phones will be here soon. Plus,LTE is coming and if you buy a phone now,you won't be able to use LTE till your contract is up. I don't think Apple will include LTE in the iPhone5. But that remains to be seen. There will be a better selection of phones in the next few months. HTH.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

@New-to-cell wrote:

Since this is your first cell phone, please take some time and read around the forums for this and other wireless companies to see what you should expect.  There are a lot of intricacies that apply to certain situations, and I don't want you to be unpleasantly surprised.  Enjoy your new cell phone!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you for the warnings.  I am a total "sucker" when it comes to a good advertising campaign (my picture is probably in their new-trainee manual).  I will research this a little further - and harass my co-workers for their opinions.  Again, thank you all for helping me not make an impulse purchase 🙂

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

13 years ago

I would avoid getting a smartphone as your first phone.  If you are a technophobe, smartphones are not as easy to operate as a feature phone.  I would suggest a nice flip phone.  I will admit I miss the simple 'open it up to answer' and 'fold it up to hang up' part of a flip phone.  The smartphone will be more complex and more expensive, both in price and monthly service, and unless you plan to use the features, may not be worth the money and trouble.

Also, go to an at&t store and check out the phones.  Don't just look at a picture online and buy one.

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

13 years ago

I think FredW meant,if you're NOT a technophobe.....I think he also meant,technophile?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.