Troubleshoot your device issues
tthunt55's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 7:30 PM

Closed

Do I have to get a data plan with a "Data Phone"?

I'm looking at the Nokia E71x and the LG Incite because it has Wi-Fi, but I don't want to pay anything for a data plan.  I just want a simple voice plan with one of those two phones and then use Wi Fi for data.  Will that work?

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

15 years ago

@tthunt55 wrote:

@dmapr wrote:

@tthunt55 wrote:

Just to be certain.  I can get the 450 minute plan for $40/month and nothing else and still have Wi Fi access with one of those phones (or another phone that supports Wi Fi)?

Thank you.

Correct. If you also are not planning to use messaging you may want to call CS and ask to put a data block on the account — AT&T phones just love to jump to the internet at a wrong touch of a button. If you do want to use messaging, blocking data will render MMS & IM inoperable.

I think sooterjes is right about the reasons the sales person told you the data plan is required — but you end up paying much more than the rebate amount.

Message Edited by dmapr on 06-10-2009 04:13:49 PM

I'm looking at phones and plans online at letstalk and wirefly and it seems like I can get a Wi Fi type phone for free if I get the 450 minute plan (that costs $40/month) and that's it.

Then I'll just call CS to put a data block on so that ONLY Wi Fi can get data.  

Does that sound correct?

Thank you so much!

That is correct. I also received my rebate without having a data plan. I have 3 Blackjack2s and none have data plans, only unlimited family text. I also had CS turn off all access to data and the text plan works fine.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

@tthunt55 wrote:

I'm looking at the Nokia E71x and the LG Incite because it has Wi-Fi, but I don't want to pay anything for a data plan.  I just want a simple voice plan with one of those two phones and then use Wi Fi for data.  Will that work?

Thank you.

No, you don't have to for those phones, only iPhone requires a data plan.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

15 years ago

Thank you.

Then why did the sales rep at the ATT strongly stated that I "had to get a data plan" with those phones?

Are they just trying to make money or are they ill informed?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

15 years ago

Just to be certain.  I can get the 450 minute plan for $40/month and nothing else and still have Wi Fi access with one of those phones (or another phone that supports Wi Fi)?

Thank you.

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

15 years ago

@tthunt55 wrote:

Thank you.

Then why did the sales rep at the ATT strongly stated that I "had to get a data plan" with those phones?

Are they just trying to make money or are they ill informed?

In order to get the mail in rebate there may be a req to have the data plan always be sure you read the terms on ANY rebate/discount/ect as there may be deal breakers in there.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

@tthunt55 wrote:

Thank you.

Correct. If you also are not planning to use messaging you may want to call CS and ask to put a data block on the account — AT&T phones just love to jump to the internet at a wrong touch of a button. If you do want to use messaging, blocking data will render MMS & IM inoperable.

I think sooterjes is right about the reasons the sales person told you the data plan is required — but you end up paying much more than the rebate amount.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

15 years ago

@dmapr wrote:

@tthunt55 wrote:

Thank you.

I'm looking at phones and plans online at letstalk and wirefly and it seems like I can get a Wi Fi type phone for free if I get the 450 minute plan (that costs $40/month) and that's it.

Then I'll just call CS to put a data block on so that ONLY Wi Fi can get data.  

Does that sound correct?

Thank you so much!

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

15 years ago

you have to be careful. some of the sales reps are still new. and they truely think that a pda smartphone is required to have data. I had tried out the fuze when it was released. i called to cancel the data becuase I was not using it. they call rep said that it could not be done. and refused to believe me when I said that it was not a requirement. I called back and spoke to someone else and had the data removed.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.