For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Miami_Jack's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 25th, 2013 6:58 PM

Device stolen by a former friend

Hi, I had a phone and tablet that was recently stolen by a former friend. I have contacted AT&T to have the devices blocked, had a chat session with T-Mobile and gave them the IMEI number if they try to unlock them, filed a police report and filed an insurance claim with AT&T to have them replaced. I have emailed this person and told them that it would be considered a felony considering the value and they could be facing 2-20 years in jail for a class c felony. I have also contacted their relatives letting them know what they did and mentioned them in several tweets. This person is now willing to return the device if I stop doing what I am doing both with criminal charges and tying to embarrass them.

I do not want to meet this person to pick it up because it could turn ugly. Would I have the option of just telling them to return it to an AT&T store and tell them they "found" it, no questions asked, and have AT&T contact me when it is returned or have them send it to Asurion? Or Should I just forget about it and continue dealing with the insurance claim?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Miami_Jack wrote:

Hi, I had a phone and tablet that was recently stolen by a former friend. I have contacted AT&T to have the devices blocked, had a chat session with T-Mobile and gave them the IMEI number if they try to unlock them, filed a police report and filed an insurance claim with AT&T to have them replaced. I have emailed this person and told them that it would be considered a felony considering the value and they could be facing 2-20 years in jail for a class c felony. I have also contacted their relatives letting them know what they did and mentioned them in several tweets. This person is now willing to return the device if I stop doing what I am doing both with criminal charges and tying to embarrass them.

I do not want to meet this person to pick it up because it could turn ugly. Would I have the option of just telling them to return it to an AT&T store and tell them they "found" it, no questions asked, and have AT&T contact me when it is returned or have them send it to Asurion? Or Should I just forget about it and continue dealing with the insurance claim?

ATT will not work as the middle man on this (and should not), if you know your former friend has the equipment then tell the police.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, I am an idi0t for not installing any of the tracking apps and I did not complete Google security settings to track and wipe the devices. Lesson learned

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.