For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Louky51's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 4:09 AM

Closed

Debrand

would someone explain to me exactly what debrand means i have a se z750a
i would like to know the details.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

ok sorry another question here, but my message on this thread (10) is marked as the solution...how does that happen? it's a question, not a solution...

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

@pinkfroggg wrote:
also i've seen some mention of losing internet or medianet capabilities by debranding...i'm wondering what exactly i will lose. i don't use internet on my phone except for when i purchase ringtones (which is what i'm hoping to avoid by figuring out how to use my own music files as ringtones) and sending an occasional mms message. would i not be able to access my phone's internet at all? is there somewhere i can find out exactly what will change if i debrand? thanks for any help!

Yes, you will be able to use the internet, you'll just need to get the MEdiaNet settings on your phone by visiting the SE site and having them sent to your phone as an SMS.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

You will still have access to MediaNet even after debranding.  You'll need to go to the SE website and have the settings for MediaNet and MMS sent to your phone, but it should be fairly simple to get set back up again.

And congrats on scoring a W760 out of a W580i. 🙂

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

Under "options" for the post, the first choice should be to "mark/unmark as solution".  🙂  You apparently accidentally selected to mark it.  You can still unmark it too. 😉

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

@hme83 wrote:
You will still have access to MediaNet even after debranding.  You'll need to go to the SE website and have the settings for MediaNet and MMS sent to your phone, but it should be fairly simple to get set back up again.

And congrats on scoring a W760 out of a W580i. 🙂

Access to MediaNet including the MediaServer i.e. streaming video?

And thanks, the CSR was a rockstar in helping me out.  Smiley Very Happy

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

I'll have to let someone who streams video answer that - but as far as I know there are no issues with streaming video to unbranded devices - as long as the device supports it and you have data access.  To my knowledge, it's just at&t's own "Cingular Video" product you would not be able to subscribe to - but there are other subscription services, such as MobiTV, etc.

Yep - that's a pretty good tradeoff!  😄 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

ugh... im an dummy..  how do u debrand the w760?  wht programworks best? 

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

Think carefully before debranding - there are a couple of things you will lose that may be important to you: 1) the ability to use IM and have it billed as SMS usage 2) access to at&t purchased content at the MediaMall, Cingular Video, etc.  (Most of these things or similar are available elsewhere, however - many times free or less expensive).  Also if you aren't technically competent, you can brick your phone - and you likely void your warranty.

If you don't consider yourself to be technically competent, yet you want to move forward with debranding - take a look at DaVinci Team.  It is an on-line paid service - but it's not very expensive (probably about $15).

There is also a free method available, using A2Uploader and SEUS (SE Updater Service) - search for those keywords in order to find threads re: that possibility.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

yes, i am aware of the possible cons, but i feel the pros are far worth it. 

i have found a simple writeup for debranding the w760 and it is here:   Debrand your 760- easy Steps

i hope this helps some one else.  i have to get the usb cable cause att doesnt include ANYTHING. 

Scholar

• 

289 Messages

15 years ago

Not sure why one would want IM billed as SMS.  Use eBuddy and it goes as data.  Put on branded or debranded phone.

Oz "Mobile Email" product goes away with a de-brand.  From trying it today on a 2600 Nokia, I say good riddance.   You get S/E mail tool with the de-brand, and it beats all other email products that I have seen and used, even gmail java applet.  Add the $15 data package and let there be no surprises.  These mid range S/E phones are excellent, particularly de-branded. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.